Want To Adopt A Grey... I Have Questions

Guest jesimadi

Guest jesimadi

I am in love with greys. I have been going to a nearby rescue and walking them every chance I get. I have been reading about them a lot too.

I am dying to adopt one and even submitted an app.

But...

I have a 9 year old animal gentle little girl, two rough and tumble cats and one non-shy submissive small dog.

I have been lurking here and talking with other grey owners enough to see this is a challenge but not impossible. But I don't want to make any mistakes, (well no more than I usually do :rolleyes: )

So any and all advice is very very much appreciated!

Thnks so much!

There are a lot of greyhounds that are both good with children and small animals. Most adoption groups will work with you to find a greyhound suitable for your family. It's a idea good also if you can bring your child and current dog with you when choosing a greyhound so you can see how everyone reacts to each other.

Best of luck.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I agree that there are many Greyhounds out there that are cat and child friendly. Let your group narrow down the choices for you, and then take your little girl and current dog with you to meet the prospects. Pay close attention to the choices that the dogs seem to make!

Two of the three Greyhounds I have adopted actually picked ME! (Doc didn't have much choice in the matter, as I had him brought half-way across the country to us) But in his case, I saw his picture on Greytalk and I KNEW instantly that he was our dog. And I do have to add, I was not looking to add a dog to our family at the time. ;)

In matters of the heart, you have to trust your heart.

Also, I'm sure many of the people here will tell you that what you "think" you might want will most likely go right out the door when you find the right hound for you. If you go into this thinking that you would like to adopt a small fawn colored female, don't be a bit surprised if a big ole' black male comes up, leans on you and absolutely steals your heart! :lol

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest IrskasMom

First of all WELCOME to GT :wave:wave:wave Your little Girl is already somewhat older and in not the Eyepoking,Tailpulling Age and respectfull of their Space.Work with your Group and narrow down with your Dog and little Girl what you want. Mostly the Heart decides what you take home.

Guest KennelMom

I'm sure you can find a greyhound that will fit your family and lifestyle. Just be open to any color or age. You may also want to consider a dog that's already been in a home and has been returned through no fault of their own (lots of financial/economic returns lately for many groups).

:welcome

Oh, my dog would be PERFECT for you! colgate.gif I'm not offering him up--but please know that your situation is not all that difficult!

Your child isn't that young, which is a plus. The cats? No big deal! The small dog? Generally a hound who is OK with cats is USUALLY also OK with small dogs. So you're golden!

And I agree--don't fixate on a color/age/sex, as personality and a good fit with the family is what really matters!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

First, welcome (here, and to greyhounds in general)!

Best advice for "adding" a greyhound into an existing animal/human household is to take everyone to meet the greyhound (well, maybe not the cats), or have the group bring a dog to meet your crew on neutral territory (ie not your living room).

Second best advice, ignore the non-essential particulars. You want cat safe, small dog friendly, and good with kids. The color, size, gender, age, factors just get in the way.

Guest jesimadi

Wow - so many responses already! I like this forum :)

I am so relieved. I was afraid you'd tell me to look elsewhere...

I am so excited to add such a beautiful animal to our zoo.

Hopefully they will find me the perfect dog - be it black or fawn, male or female.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your responses and reassurance.

Guest greymama002

Welcome & good luck finding the perfect hound for your home! All 3 of ours totally ignore our cats, are fine with small dogs, and LOVE attention from gentle kids! Our Pulsar came to us when his owner had to give him up , and he was the MOST mellow gentle soul, right from the start, our most perfect boy. Ruffie was a lot more active, being just 2 when we got him right from the track, but with gentle training, he has done great! Tina is our senior girl, loves to play toys and try to get the boys to play with her. Hopefully you can meet many hounds and find the one that best fits your family! Best wishes!

Guest gecko_foot

I am in love with greys. I have been going to a nearby rescue and walking them every chance I get. I have been reading about them a lot too.

I am dying to adopt one and even submitted an app.

But...

I have a 9 year old animal gentle little girl, two rough and tumble cats and one non-shy submissive small dog.

I have been lurking here and talking with other grey owners enough to see this is a challenge but not impossible. But I don't want to make any mistakes, (well no more than I usually do :rolleyes: )

So any and all advice is very very much appreciated!

Welcome to GT! I have just recently adopted my greyhound, so I know how hard it can be to wait for the right dog. What everyone else says is very true. I was looking for a 60 lb brindle female that was calm and good with cats....What I got was a 73 lb fawn male who is cat and adult friendly. Age was a little more important for me because I wanted a dog that I could take on long walks, hiking, and possibly running without causing any unneccessary discomfort. Tumnus is absolutely wonderful, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I'm still new to this, so I don't have a lot of sage advice for you. The best pieces of advice I was given were to take introductions (to people, other animals, etc.) slow and to be realistic about what you are expecting of the dog. One dog may be fine with some animals but dislike others. Mine is fine with cats and dogs, but if he sees a squirrel........he thinks it's lunch.

I wish you the best of luck!

Guest small_fortune

Just to echo what the others have said really - we have just adopted another grey into our family,which consisted of 1 x 8 yr old child, 2 female greyhounds, a cat and 7 guinea pigs. All I asked the adoption group for was a cat/child friendly hound and let them pick the best match...and they did a wonderful job! :) good luck with finding your new family member.

Guest Lovemyhound

Well you have nearly described my house!! You can see my pack in my siggy which consists of my resident grey, 2 kitties and 1 fluffy little dog - and in addition, I have my foster grey too! Mostly my kids are grown but my youngest came along a little later and he is still just 7 years old. He does exceptionally well with all of my fur-kids and follows the "doggie rules"! Most importantly -- don't fool with the doggie while he/she is sleeping! My pups are not at all sleep aggressive but that is still a rule that HE must follow.

It can work!! Introduce any new pup slowly and follow the advice of your adoption group - they can help steer you to the hound that will work best in your home. Relax and Enjoy and as always - with any question, you can find quite a bit of diverse advice here on GT! :)

Welcome!

None of the factors you stated would rule you out for adopion with any group that I know of. It may take a while to find the perfect match, but it is soooooooo worth it. Greyhounds are very special dogs - which you already know because you want one!

Two excellent resource books for you to get and read:

Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Childproofing your Dog by Patricia McConnell (I think)

Your daughter is also plenty old enough to volunteer with you, especially for the walking duties. It will help if she has some familiarity with them and gets used to their size and how they act.

Think about how you want your greyhound to fit into your home. Are you active and on-the-go? Do you like to stay home mosty? Do you travel or go visiting relatives and want to take your dogs with you? If you don't have a yard, are you committed to daily walks? Can you afford vet care if you add another animal? Can your daughter follow simple rules of interaction with a dog? Can your little dog get along with a larger one?

Be honest with your adoption group about all these answers. The more info they have, the better and faster they can find you a grey to easily fit your needs. As others have said, concentrate on what you need personality-wise. There really are no ugly greyhounds! Don't discount an older or larger greyhound. They often-times are the most easy-going and laid back. My large, 9 year old boy Copper would be perfect for your home - he's cat and small dog safe and he absolutely ADORES little girls! But he's BIG and parents can be intimidated sometimes when we meet them out and about.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

i have an 8yr old son who is 100% boy. he forgets that sometimes his "play" isnt always enjoyable to the animals. now that being said, i have been very lucky in that he has learned respect for animals at a very early age. we had our first grey when he was two. also lucky Betsy was a greyt first greyhound. very forgiving of children.

when we went to adopt Bloomer. our gal had 5 greys picked out for us to meet. now for many who know me, i always have a crowd of kids/ppl around me. so i took the whole crew along. everyone from my 6mo old, to my18yr old niece. very quickly our choice was clear. Bloomer picked us. she was so Intrigued with my 8yr old while he was off balancing on a short wall, she was right behind him ss if she was sayin..."hey..what ya dooin?"

i also lucked out she is very lite footed. she is very cautious of where she steps , how she lays down whenever around the baby.

i agree with many here... work with your group, n let the grey pic you n your family.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

A gentle 9 year old is perfect for most greyhounds, so I don't think you have worries there. The cats and small dog are another issue--you want to be sure the hound you adopt is not high-prey. You might do best to adopt one who has lived with cats in a foster home. Are your cats feisty enough to torment a dog?

Guest jesimadi

Money, walks and time are no problem.

Cats are not tormenting dog types. They are more tormenting people types. lol

My group knows about my zoo and is working to get the best one possible with low prey drive.

One thing I feel bad about though is that on the app it asked color and gender preference and I answered... was that a test? Should I have just said any? If I was here I would have known better...

*Note to self to pick up those books today)

Thanks again for all your responses. This is a very informative place.

you're fine. those questions wouldn't have been on the application if it wasn't ok to state your preferences. lots of us have them. just keep in mine you may end up falling for a dog who is the exact opposite :)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:welcome2 So glad you came to join us, I, like you watched and studie for a long time, when the time was right I submitted my application and they called, I explained my household, and the right hound was placed with me, I didn't care about age, color, or what sex, I wanted the hound to be happy, and the other pack members to be happy, I know you will get the right hound for you, :nod and your house sounds a lot easier to find the right pup for you, please keep us posted on your decision, and we LOOOOOVE pics Good Luck :clover Edited by kydie

Guest Lovemyhound

LOL - The color question - I answered that question and laugh at myself about it since! :) I said my ideal pup would be a dainty little quiet female who is white with fawn spots. I still swoon over that fictitious dog!! HA!

My first hound, who is now my bridge boy, was not that dainty female, but a big 80lb beautiful brindle male. The second I laid eyes on him at a meet n greet, I was totally in love! Someone had actually returned this big boy so he was already 7 yrs old - and I knew he was for me!

Point being, it's ok to have a color/gender in mind, but you will realize that it actually has nothing to do with it. You are doing the right thing by asking questions. Keep us posted on your progress - we'll be anxious to meet your new pup!

Guest TBSFlame

LOL - The color question - I answered that question and laugh at myself about it since! smile.gif I said my ideal pup would be a dainty little quiet female who is white with fawn spots. I still swoon over that fictitious dog!! HA!

My first hound, who is now my bridge boy, was not that dainty female, but a big 80lb beautiful brindle male. The second I laid eyes on him at a meet n greet, I was totally in love! Someone had actually returned this big boy so he was already 7 yrs old - and I knew he was for me!

Point being, it's ok to have a color/gender in mind, but you will realize that it actually has nothing to do with it. You are doing the right thing by asking questions. Keep us posted on your progress - we'll be anxious to meet your new pup!

Same here. When asked what I wanted I said a tiny little black girl. Of course, I brought home a 90 pound fawn male. lol. I had always had female animals and even said I would never own a boy dog. Well, be careful what you say. lol. He was the best and I will now always have a boy in the mix. :)

Guest Bonansa

Cesar Milan (not that he is the end-all, be-all) says that if you already have a dog, bring in one that has lower energy than your current dog(s). If you are allowed to, I would actually bring your dog when you select your grey--let them meet and walk together to see how they interact. (Of course, these would be "cat ok'd" greys.) :)