Elsie- Aches? Pains?

RobinM

Elsie is 10 years and 8 months. She is very, very lively, playful, runs around like a banchee, literaly. She does the steps although doesn't like them. She kinda needs to think it through before she does it. We have a ramp in the back though from Polli's amputation. She uses that. She needs to do the steps into the house from the front, although we could build something but in the house, there are no options other than to move down to the den to live. Which if we had to, we would.

She is up and down from a lying position 100x a day because whenever I move, she is up and about. Still!

About 3 weeks ago, she started whimpering when lying down. Like right now, she just finished playing with toys, running around the bedroom with Teddy and Chloe and she is lying in a dog bed whimpering loud enough that DH and I can both hear her. She is about 15 feet away from us. And now it stopped. She unilaterally made the decision to not take the after dinner walkie. She is just getting a 3/4 mile walk in the early morning. If she doesn't want the evening walk, she doesn't have to go.

She gets all sorts of greyt joint supplements from Greyhound Gang. She is eating greyt, drinking, playing, smiling, running, etc. Every once in a while I see her rear end quarters look a little bit unstable.

What could be causing her to be whimpering. I am hoping she is just verbal. I hate to think she is in pain and we are doing nothing about it.

Any ideas?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Could be a pinched nerve or something similar...if she were my girl, I think I'd take her to the chiro - could be something as simple as her hips being a little bit "out"...and wasn't she a broodie? I used to take all of the broodies that came through the kennel for chiro adjustments...having pups really does a number on their hips. Since she's so active, she may be overdoing it a bit and she's hurting later because of it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Could be a pinched nerve or something similar...if she were my girl, I think I'd take her to the chiro - could be something as simple as her hips being a little bit "out"...and wasn't she a broodie? I used to take all of the broodies that came through the kennel for chiro adjustments...having pups really does a number on their hips. Since she's so active, she may be overdoing it a bit and she's hurting later because of it.

I was thinking of acupunture but there is no "spot" to concentrate on. She did have a dropped uterus which is why they retired her from brood duties.

Thanks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Could it just be the weather? It's been really wet and chilly here and you're much farther north. Stel (she's 9) seems to stiffen up a bit in weather like this but hasn't really been vocal about it.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

That's what Sunny does when his neck is starting to hurt him again. We don't see any other symptoms at all, just whimpering when he goes to lie down on his bed after a playing session. It's how I know he needs to go back to the chiropractor.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Could it just be the weather? It's been really wet and chilly here and you're much farther north. Stel (she's 9) seems to stiffen up a bit in weather like this but hasn't really been vocal about it.

Weather is actually pretty warm (in the 40's) and dry for the last 10 days.

I'm thinking it's time for acupunture but I don't know where to target!

Made an appointment for acupunture on Monday eve.

Edited by RobinM

Guest Energy11

Sounds like classic arthritis to me. My friend's 10 yr old grey, a therapy dog, had the IDENTICAL symptoms. She had her examed, x-rayed, etc., and it was arthritis. She takes 35 mg. of Deramaxx a day, in the morning, with food and a Pepcid AC, and is doing wonderfully.

Good Luck at the vets!

Guest greyhoundis

Could it be pulled muscle? I have had a couple over the years that do that and usually is a pulled muscle. Which a muscle relaxer usually handles. Good luck!

Sounds like classic arthritis to me. My friend's 10 yr old grey, a therapy dog, had the IDENTICAL symptoms. She had her examed, x-rayed, etc., and it was arthritis. She takes 35 mg. of Deramaxx a day, in the morning, with food and a Pepcid AC, and is doing wonderfully.

Good Luck at the vets!

The only reason I don't think it's arhritis is at the time of her dental in April- I asked the vet to do base line x-rays on her limps. Since we got Elsie at 9- we had no history so I just wanted to know what if anything was lurking.

Her x-rays were clear - arthritis was not mentioned.

Guest Energy11

I HOPED it was only arthritis! DO keep us posted!

I see Polli's racing name as Bohemian Ocean. She might have been related to my Curfew (Bohemian Curfew)!

I see Polli's racing name as Bohemian Ocean. She might have been related to my Curfew (Bohemian Curfew)!

No relation. Angel Polli's litter were bodies of water.

But Curfew is related to my Teddy through Craigie.

Edited by RobinM

Guest Swifthounds

The only reason I don't think it's arhritis is at the time of her dental in April- I asked the vet to do base line x-rays on her limps. Since we got Elsie at 9- we had no history so I just wanted to know what if anything was lurking.

Greyhounds show symptoms of arthritis long before anything would be apparent on an x-ray. Both hounds and humans can have a variety or arthritic changes that just can't be seen on something as basic as an x-ray. Three humans in our crew and most of my hounds have arthritic changes - only two have been diagnoses with tests - both MRIs. When I suspect arthritic changes (as I almost always do with raced hounds over age three, I treat with supplements and look for improvement for confirmation.

That said, it doesn't sound particularly like Elsie's is having pain from arthritis. I would be more inclined to suspect a pinched spinal nerve or LS. It could be an old muscle/ligament injury from racing (or, heck, whelping) but that would probably be more intermittent. The soft crying while laying down would make me more likely to think it's spinal in nature. What kind of supplments is she on?

Guest Energy11

Wow! Cool that My Curfew and Teddy are related! Makes us relatives, right? :-)))

Hi Robin....this is just a thought about the whining. Have you had any trouble lately with static electricity on her dog bed? I have found in the last few winter weeks Molleigh will whimper for no reason but when she gets off the bed it crackles, then all is well.

Just a thought.......

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Check this out. Since I made the appointment for her... NO WHIMPERING. Meanwhile it was going on for 3 weeks.

How weird???

Wow! Cool that My Curfew and Teddy are related! Makes us relatives, right? :-)))

yes, half brothers. Craigie Whister. Teddy looks like his Dad.

And Dee, that makes us, half sisters, once removed! :lol

Edited by RobinM

:(

That said, it doesn't sound particularly like Elsie's is having pain from arthritis. I would be more inclined to suspect a pinched spinal nerve or LS. It could be an old muscle/ligament injury from racing (or, heck, whelping) but that would probably be more intermittent. The soft crying while laying down would make me more likely to think it's spinal in nature. What kind of supplments is she on?

She is on Greyhound gangs glucosomine, MSM and CMO. Since I mentioned this on GT, she is fine.

Hope Elsie continues to do well! When Missy has acupuncture, she usually gives her an "exam" to identify any tender spots/tightness. Sometimes her lower back is treated and other times her upper body..depending on the exam.

I know Elsie takes supplement, another great one is Fresh Factors from Springtime. I know a lot of people here use and recommend it...is really seems to help Missy.

please talk to your vet and consider every and anything that can be bothering elise. i would have her shoulder xrayed. emily, who had lyme a couple of times(we live in westchester and camp all over the place- tics galore) had been treated for lyme a couple of times. when she had similar symptoms last october, whimpering and a sensitive shoulder which lead into a limp and then not using her leg, our vet logically thought lyme, treated her- no relief, then we approached treating arthritis. unfortuately it turned out to be oseto which was revealed thru xrays. she was a stoic as can be and only whimpered a tad, so we all thought something else. she really did not cry until the very very end when she must have had a hairline fracture and we knew it was just too much for her to bare even w/ upping her pain meds. those older gals really have composure plus and are more than stoic. she never really showed pain until things got most uncomfortable near the end.

i know you have your hands full and give your pups the best and then some, i have read many of your posts. best of luck w/ your picky eater...btw...what is she eating these days?...

Others on the thread have mentioned all the more common reasons for whimpering but, is it by chance happening close to the time she gets fed her evening meal?

As "my" greyhounds settled in after being adopted (usually after 6 to 9 months), they would start to do all sorts of antics/commotion to make sure that I would not forget to feed them their evening meal including but not limited to chattering, barking, and whimpering.