Thoughts On Greyhound Anxiety

Guest killdawabbit

Guest killdawabbit

One of the things I've noticed is that when my dog has anxiety his temp rises. So if I lower the heat his symptoms get better. Anyone else ever seen this?

I've never taken my dog's temp when they are anxious, but I can tell you that is exactly what happens to me. For example, I hate public speaking, so much so that I give myself a nice little fever before I have to do it! I imagine it could be the same for other creatures experiencing stress/anxiety.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I would think that's part of the normal autonomic response to a stressor. The body getting itself ready for a flight or fight response by increasing blood flow - and therefore temperature - to muscles and major organs. Perhaps lowering the temperature relieves some of the stress and anxiety of a certain situation.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bebe's rises during thunderstorms because she's thunderphobic. As soon as the storm passes, she cools down.

Some of it might be from her panting and pacing. She's using up a lot of energy in that short time span.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

anxiety causes a lot to increase; temp, blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate etc. Dogs with pain or in extreme cold experience this as well.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge