Tramadol For Osteo.....

Guest wholovesskunks

Guest wholovesskunks

Just out of curiousity- Lenny is currently on Tramadol 1-2 pills, 2x/day. As this progresses what is the highest level and hours between doses I can use for him? I know I am to be liberal with the pain meds but I don't want him completely drugged either. I go in to the vet on Saturday and if I need to up it or switch to something else I'd love suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Krista

I don't have an answer for your question, but I do know that Dr. Couto has his drug protocol on his osteo page that you may find helpful to give to your vet. We had learned that a particular drug (Hyrdromorphone) we had Smiley on was not even effective for greyhounds. We had questioned it and were assured it would help, but later learned it does not. The page is: OSU Osteo/Pain Mgmt

Guest Energy11

For Max, who had OS, I used 35 mg of Deramaxx, twice daily, and (1) 50 mg Tramadol three times a day. FOR HIM, it worked. I know you can use more Tramadol than that, though.

Good luck and lots of love!

To be honest I don't remember the maximum dosage for Jack. I used it only once. I did quite quite quickly move him up to 50 mg three times a day which I found much more helpful than twice a day. Occasionally if he needed it, I gave him 100mg at one of those times. I also have to say he was never "doped up" except for his second last day when I had to drastically up his dosage. And the next day he was perfectly alert again.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest myneedlenose

We have Mayhem on 1 50mg pill of tramadol 3xday with instructions to increase to up to three pills 2-3 times a day depending on his pain level as his disease progresses. This dosing info was given to us by his neurologist. He is also on methacarbomol and gabbapentin to keep him comfy. Mayhem was an 81lb male when diagnosed and is now 74lbs.

Edited by myneedlenose

Guest lizmego

We were told by our vet that you cannot overdose on Tramadol. We had started Power (80 lb male) on Rimadyl (can't remember the strength) twice per day, but has sinced switched to Previcox 227 mg, twice per day and we're liking his pain management on that NSAID better. We were also dosing with Tramadol along with the Rimadyl (now he's on Previcox). We're up to 3 Tramadols in the morning (7:30am), 3 in the evening (5pm), and then if the pain is bad, we add 2 more at 10pm. Our vet would prefer 3-4 Tramadols every 8 hours, but since we both work, our vet is fine with the schedule we've set. As long as Power is comfortable, that's all that matters. I do want to add, that Power does not appear dazed or doped up on this amount of Tramadol, but he's also a big boy and has kept his weight at 80 lbs, and continues to eat well (he's always been extremely food motivated).

We're now having issues of raspy, congested breathing by Power. So we're pretty sure that the cancer has progressed to his lungs, but the vet said there was no need to confirm with x-rays, mainly because it wouldn't change our pain management regimen. So we're just enjoying what time we have left with him.

Edited by lizmego

Guest wholovesskunks

Thank you! I wondered about the overdosing issue. I just moved Lenny up to the 2-50mg yesterday and he wasn't limping at all which I was very pleased about but he did sleep for a while (which he probably needed). Thank you! And I can't believe how many of us there are with osteo doggies.

:( Lenny is on almost 2 weeks since diagnosis and doing well. We go Saturday for x-rays (just to see how fast it's progressing) and to get more pain meds. Right now he is ok- and very happy with all the loving he's getting! My prayers go out to all of you who are dealing with this devastating disease!

With mine the best relief came with Previcox, Tramadol and Neurontin. My only advice is stay ahead of the pain. Osteo is incredibly painful. Tramadol isn't processed like many drugs so it is safer. It's used a lot in people with liver cancer etc as well. It's on the 4 dollar list at lots of pharmacies. Neurontin comes in generic too making it cheaper that way. The one thing I've found with my hounds is tramadol is so bitter. They wise up and can tell if it's in there. My one sure bet is to put in marshmellows or fig newtons. Greys love those! Like my vet has told me, lots of drugs at high doses can cause health problems but when it's to treat osteo you don't worry about that. Your concern is pain control. and fwiw, mine have never been dopey with tramadol.also may want to add pepcid for tummy upsets.

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Grhndad

My Lexie (65 lb) started at 75mg (1 1/2 50 mg tablet) 3x day with a daily dosage of Metacam and at the end was taking 150 mg (3 50mg tablets) 3 x a day with a daily dosage of metacam.

Lewis, at about 85 lbs., started off with 50MG twice a day along with his Metacam. As things progressed, I added a third dose and at the end had him up to 100MG three (or four) times a day. He never, ever lost his appetite.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest GryffinSong

Gryffin gets 100 mg of tramadol (two small pills) every 8 to 12 hours. Plus he gets 1/2 - 3/4 of a 227 mg previcox once per day. He's not groggy.

Edited to add: one of you mentioned your dog not limping at one point? Gryffin always limps, even if he otherwise seems ok pain-wise. Does that mean he's got it really bad? Or that he's in a lot more pain that he's showing? His osteo is in his right shoulder. Thanks, I'm new to this and still figuring it all out. He's so darn stoic!

Edited by GryffinSong

Perry was also diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his right front shoulder on 11-19. He is about 80# has been taking 75mg of Rimadyl 2x per day, and Tramadol 50mg 2x per day as well, and then a pepcid at night. Both of his vets agreed with this, and said the tramadol could be increased if needed. They also said to of course keep vigil of his appetite and activity. He has maintained a tremendous appetite and still runs daily in the yard. BUT now you all have me worrying that I should be giving him more tramadol? His osteo was diagnosed about as early as one could diagnose it, so maybe he will need the upped doses as this progresses?

Hugs to everyone else going through this right now. :grouphug

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Guest wholovesskunks

Lenny does occasionally limp- when I up the meds he doesn't. I don't know how early we caught Lenny's since it seems small on the x-ray but that doesn't mean much. Had he not been limping I would never have taken him to the vet. Lenny is still running and eating well but seems a bit tired. He still is up and about and wanting lots of attention though and is still playing with the kids toys. I don't know if the limping means pain or not but when I see it I give him a little extra pain meds. We haven't been doing this long enough to say though. All of the osteo parents and families will remain in my prayers! There are so many of us going through the same thing!

Just please please stay ahead of that pain. Many vets will tell you to not let your dog run. There is a risk of fracture. And they will tell you if your dog limps it's because it is pain. Bone pain is excrutiating. I've been down this road many times and it's a long journey.

Enjoy the moments. They don't know about tomorrow but they know the moment. Make that count and make it wonderful.

Don't be afraid to up the meds. I gave it religiously every single time no matter what. I wanted quality time....

Lots of prayers for strength, wisdom, and peace to all going down this road. You're not alone.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Argus (80 lbs.) started with 2 50 mg Tramadol and 2 extended-release morphine per day. By the end he was up to 16 of the Tramadol tablets per day, along with the 2 morphine pills. We gave him 4 tablets every 6 hours in his last few days. I never noticed that the Tramadol made him dopey, but the morphine did.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Signs of pain other than limping are panting, dripping nose, being generally unsettled and of course crying.

The night after Jack was diagnosed he started to pant heavily with a drippy nose and wouldn't settle. I freaked called a vet friend and gave him a whopping dose of Tramadol for this horrible pain. Turns out we were having a thunder storm and it was the thunder not pain blush.gif. He slept though.

There is a learning curve for sure. Sure you might make mistakes occasionally but you will do your very best for your dog.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest killdawabbit

Just out of curiousity- Lenny is currently on Tramadol 1-2 pills, 2x/day. As this progresses what is the highest level and hours between doses I can use for him? I know I am to be liberal with the pain meds but I don't want him completely drugged either. I go in to the vet on Saturday and if I need to up it or switch to something else I'd love suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Krista

Have you ever taken tramadol? It's far from doping, at the worst it will make your pooch have less anxiety. I know dogs are different however Tramadol is the only pain med I can take (I'm a red head) for severe pain. It works on serotonin receptors among others. Just make sure you add some extra flax seed into their food to help with the constipation. Also check with your vet about DLPA

Guest GryffinSong

Signs of pain other than limping are panting, dripping nose, being generally unsettled and of course crying....

Thanks, I've not seen any of the other behaviors at all, except if he's overdone it, and then only for a few minutes. No panting, no dripping, he settles and rests, and he never complains verbally. That's why it's so hard to judge the limping alone. There's no other feedback. I watch his face really carefully when he puts his foot down and there's no sign of a grimace, no flinching, absolutely none of the signs that my other dogs will give if they're experiencing pain. He's a bit of a puzzle.