Does Your Dog Get Minor Ouchies?

Every so often, I'll hear the GSOD from my baby and go investigate. She'll be crying pitifully and holding one leg off the ground. I very gently stroke down the injured leg to look for broken bones or swelling or anything that would cause the injury. Find nothing apparent. As soon as I'm there she stops screaming, and after a minute she is able to put weight on the leg and go on as if nothing happened. As best I can figure, she's stubbing toes or twisting a hock or something else minor but temporarily painful. Do your dogs ever do that?

I kind of like it because it makes me feel heroic, or just mommyish. Scream for mommy, she'll come kiss it and make it better. :colgate Although one of these days she'll have something serious and my heart will break.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest LindsaySF

They tend to scream when it is something really minor, and remain quiet/stoic when they tear their skin off or break a bone. blink.gif I hear lots of stubbed toe/bumped leg screams around here. (Most of them are from Sooner and Sophie lol.gif).

Edited by LindsaySF

Well, I meant aside from nicks and scratches, but do your dogs get invisible hurts they scream over? I guess I'm asking if they're prone to twisted ankles from those looong legs, or... they're just drama queens? :lol Don't get me wrong, I'm madly in love with my little drama queen. It melts my heart to see her crying like a little lost puppy. Just wish I could figure out what she's doing to hurt herself. Two times it was indoors, couple times outside. :dunno

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Yes - especially Sagan. Every so often I'll hear the GSOD and I run to him and he's just staring at me. Often I suspect it's a cramp. I move his leg or massage it and he's fine.

Every now and then Merlin screams in the night too. Not sure if it's a cramp or a bad dream...? I get out of bed and comfort him for a while and he is fine.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

OMG, yes! Sophie did this, and now Teddy and Daisy both do this. I'll hear the gawd awful GSOD and come running, only to see a paw up in the air or a limp. They hold it out for me to "fix." I rub it and move it up and down and back and forth, and they think I've cured them.

The first time it happened with Sophie, I immediately thought the worst. But I'm kind of used to it now.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

drama queens and kings definitely

My favorite is the scream, leg lift and hobble around. Salem does this whenever Inu steps on her foot. Then there was the time she got scared because she fell asleep during a home visit and woke up confused with her leash around her foot. My gosh you would have thought we were amputating her tail.

There is nothing physically wrong and greyhounds are pretty hardy, just some tend to over react.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My two arent drama hounds, but my current foster boy Monster had me rolling on the floor laughing at him. I was in the kitchen putting away dishes and I turned around just in time to see a plastic cookie sheet fall onto his back from the counter. He yelled so loud you would have thought that I stabbed him with a pitchfork. He high-tailed it out of the kitchen and I couldnt coax him back in the kitchen for days, not that I really want him in the kitchen to begin with. He actually looked like a cartoon, with all four of his legs moving in different directions! Now if he sees that cookie sheet on the counter, he wont even get close. Big sissy!

Chad

You're going to love the 2 am greyhound scream of death due to a muscle cramp. Once you peel yourself off the ceiling, you massage the offending leg...and the dog falls back to sleep instantly, leaving you with your heart still thumping and that scream echoing in your ears.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)