Foster Dog Coughs After Drinking Water

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

My foster boy Sooner always coughs after drinking water. Sometimes it's just a small cough, like it went down the wrong pipe, and sometimes it's full out gagging. He always does it no matter the circumstances (bowl type, activity level, water temp, etc). On a few occasions he has spit up some water, but I attributed that to drinking too fast. Often his stomach will gurgle/rumble after drinking too, as the water settles in there. I'm trying to remember if he did this coughing when he first came here, I'm not sure but I know he's done it for several months.

Is this something I should have the vet check out, or am I just a worry wart? He seems otherwise healthy, and while he's still a little thinner than I'd like (picky eater with a crazy metabolism), he has gained almost 5 pounds since he came here. He has been dewormed several times (just in case) and we're finally on a food that agrees with him (Taste of the Wild). He's 2 years old and has been here since August.

He also has a little bald spot on his head (looks a little like mange starting actually unsure.gif) so if that gets any bigger we might end up at the vet anyway for a skin scraping. Thoughts?

~Lindsay~

Pistol does this to the point where he will spit up small amounts of water. He's perfectly healthy, I think it's just the way he drink.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Don't waste money on a skin scrape, IMO. Ivermectin takes care of both kinds of mange, and is a cheap way to do HW prevention! If that doesn't cure it, then look into ringworm. Tough Actin' Tenactin is the cure for that.

I have had dogs that spit up water, but if they did it EVERYtime I'd probably ask the vet for thoughts :)

I know it's a pretty ubiquitous question, but have you had his thyroid checked? Only reason I ask is that Dude came to us aready on thyroid - he was on the tail end of when it was common practice to put them on meds for bald thighs - and I had the devil of a time keeping weight on him, he was hyper all the time, and had spots of hairloss in weird places on and off. When I took him OFF the thyroid supplement all that resolved itself - well, he's still pretty hyper but not nearly as much! Anyway - he was getting too much thyroid not too little.

The water thing is pretty common. Two of mine do it and two don't, either from a bowl on a raised feeder or their outside bucket on the ground.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LindsaySF

Haven't checked his thyroid, as he doesn't have any of the typical symptoms. I'll ask the vet about it.

My dogs cough after drinking every once in a while too, but since he does it every single time I was a little more concerned. Maybe he never learned to drink properly or something? blink.gif

Thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF

Well he still coughs after drinking, no change there. Something happened this morning that has me a bit concerned though.

He went into the corner and was coughing and leaning forward, I thought he was going to vomit. But he spit up a treat I had fed him last night. It was fully formed (not chewed) and not digested or anything. He had eaten these treats at least 12 hours beforehand, so if it had been in his stomach it would have been at least partially digested right? They are semi-hard liver treats but still. I think it was caught in his throat. :( He hadn't coughed or acted weird all night though. And once it hit the ground he ate it again. blink.gif

He is going to get checked out by the vet.

~Lindsay~