Separation Anxiety

Guest Bean_Scotch

Guest Bean_Scotch

Hello all...well since GT is sooo knowledgeable I figured I'd ask for it's help again!

We have a greyhound. He's been off the track 6 months-ish. He was fine when he came in, little clingy but could be crated etc. just fine. He got placed into a home for about 3 weeks and that's when he started tearing apart his crate, etc. They took him to the vet and the vet(who's VERY greyhound-savvy) diagnosed him with stress-induced-colitis. I went and picked him up-saw how they where doing things(closed door, no TV, etc etc) and took him to a foster home. We took him off EVERYTHING. His poo came back to normal and he was doing fine in that dept. However, he took to destroying his crate, muzzle, if he got out he'd destroy the house, chewed up antique things etc etc. His foster family is only gone for about 4 hours max at any given time(stay at home mom). They've done the 'crate going and coming back' game. The TV/Radio is on. they have a DAP diffuser. We tried Quiet Moments. He's given treats when he goes in. He sleeps in there at night. He has another greyhound there with him crated RIGHT NEXT to him. He's now gotten to the point where he's ugh injuring himself so we took him to the vet again and explained the situation...They tried him on amitryptallene to see if that would work he's been on that for almost a week now...nothing. so we took him back and he's got Valium/Diazepam for now just to give the amitryptallene a chance to see if it'll work and to keep him from injuring himself(vet said up to a month) I haven't heard if that's working from his foster family yet, but was wondering if GT has any ideas on what else to try for this? His foster family has had him for about 1.5 months now and this was also the same foster family that had him 1wk before he was placed into a home....

We've also thought of it being a thyroid issue...is there any way these 2 things are related?

Please and thank-you for any advice!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dumb question, but you never really said if they stopped using the crate. Have they tried that, of course with a muzzle on (and probably zip-tied to the collar)? I am a strong proponent of crating, but when a hound has issues to the point of injuring itself, maybe its time to give up the crate. I do know of one family in our group that had a hound very similar to your situation, they simply spent more time exercising the hound, as well as training the hound. They taught a few tricks, as well as your standard sit, stay, come, etc. It took about 6 months, but now he is as good as any hound. BTW they didn't use any medication.

Chad