Help! Ig Covered In Hives..eyes Swollen

I couldn't sleep tonight (for a reason I think) Flex asked to go out. when he came in he was licking his legs..pee got on them. I took off his shirt and wiped his legs and belly down with a baby wipe (same one I always use non-scented) A little while later he was sitting on my lap..while petting him I felt a small lump on his head..turned on light: he is covered in small bumps, his eyes are swollen and red around the outside, his mouth has swollen lump..I immediattly gave him 25mg of benadryl (which is double of what he used to take for allergies). I wiped him down with plain water. He is acting fine (actually a little jumpy for the middle of the night/can't seem to settle down)...now he is getting sleepy since he took benedryl 20 minutes ago..what could this be? Should I call the vet?

Only different things today:

1. tried new Jets t-shirt on him: noticed nothing after

2. I brushed his teeth with watered down baking soda around

I don't know when this started: he was fine last I looked at him...since it was dark in the house, I don't know if he had this before he went outside at 2:30..once before this happened..in the summer....is mouth swelled up/no hives..

I will up all night watching him. Thanks for any help!

Donna

Guest IrskasMom

Donna, I am of no help to you . Have No Experience with that. Sending you good Thoughts and cyperhugs for Flex and You .Hopefully someone will answer your Question fast.

couldn't sleep tonight (for a reason I think) Flex asked to go out. when he came in he was licking his legs..pee got on them. I took off his shirt and wiped his legs and belly down with a baby wipe (same one I always use non-scented) A little while later he was sitting on my lap..while petting him I felt a small lump on his head..turned on light: he is covered in small bumps, his eyes are swollen and red around the outside, his mouth has swollen lump..I immediattly gave him 25mg of benadryl (which is double of what he used to take for allergies). I wiped him down with plain water. He is acting fine (actually a little jumpy for the middle of the night/can't seem to settle down)...now he is getting sleepy since he took benedryl 20 minutes ago..what could this be? Should I call the vet?

Only different things today:

1. tried new Jets t-shirt on him: noticed nothing after

2. I brushed his teeth with watered down baking soda: noticed nothing after

I don't know when this started: he was fine last I looked at him...since it was dark in the house, I don't know if he had this before he went outside at 2:30..once before this happened..in the summer....is mouth swelled up/no hives..thought possibly a bite or something. But it is winter now...not many bugs crawling around.

I thought I noticed red eye around outside when he went out in the yard earlier in the day..at a quick glance. Looking closer he seemed ok

I will up all night watching him. Thanks for any help!

4:15: he is sleeping..went to his bed in the kitchen..strange as he always stays with me. I am on the floor with him. Eye swelling is decreasing as his mouth. Most small bumps are gone..lumps on top of his head are getting bigger and broader;like they are spreading.

As long as there is no respitory distress I will stay with him and call vet in the morning.

Flex has auto-immune issues(discoid lupus/under control now) and urinary tract problems (just finished baytal about one week ago) for yet another infection. Not sure if there is any relation. Naturally his vet is off on Thursday and Friday,,but will have to see other one.

sorry to ramble, i am nervous for him!

Donna

Guest greyt2love

I'm sorry I can't help you. Alex, my IG, is new to me and so far we've had no health issues to deal with. I'm just wishing you both well and hoping it is nothing major. I'll be keeping watch to see how this proceeds. Give a hug to your little guy from me !!

Guest wmlcml6

I would suggest a benedryl if this was a greyhound, but I'm not familiar with giving meds to IGs. I hope the little guy feels better this morning.

edited because I see you did give him a benedryl. :-)

Edited by wmlcml6

Hopefully he improved with the benadryl on board, and you're getting him to the vet this morning. Many things can trigger this type of allergic reaction, and I'd be prepared with a list of everything he's been given or eaten (even the Baytril from a week ago) over the past few days.

Did he recently get immunizations?

Was he possibly stung by an insect?

I'd continue giving him the benadryl (4mg/kg 3 times daily -- if he weighs about 15 lbs, he's around 7kg (1 kg = 2.2 lbs), which would put it at around 28mg (or 25mg) 3 times daily and keep that going for at least 3-4 days. If he rebounds, he might need steroids.

Please do keep us posted. And remember that autoimmune animals may tend to have enhanced allergic reactions, as they already have an immune system in "overdrive".

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Energy11

How is he today? I, too, would continue the Benedryl. When Oakly was bitten a few years ago by fire ants, he was on it for two days.

I'd call the vet today, just to be on the safe side. Good job checking his respiratory status, as the airway CAN close up with an allergic reaction. Be suspicious when there is swelling around the mouth and nose.

COULD have been those wipes. I know they weren't scented, etc, but maybe there was something in them, that didn't agree.

Hugs and good luck!

I took Flex into the vet this morning...his hives were returning even after given 12.5 mg 8 hours after the first dose..this poor guy can't catch a break:

he has immune issues and urinary problems to begin with.

he had a fever, has right ear infection, pupil in right eye is bigger than left (vet hopes from infection) he seems to be seeing fine in that eye, discharge from his penis again (infection)!! and he lost 2 lbs. in a 13lb ig that is a lot of weight. I really didn't notice since he usually has clothes on..I feel bad I didn't notice. he is eating ok..did change food a couple months ago to IVD venison and potato after major bout of stomach issues..

Vet gave him:

shot of cortisone for hives

ear drops

zeniquin for the infection. he never had that before..vet said it is in same family as baytril..but a little diferent.

He still has the bumps on his back, head..hoping the cortisone helps.

Needs to return in one week as he wants to check his eyes and weight again..hopefully we won't have to return sooner.

Still not sure why allergic reaction started..possibly the baby wipes??

Thank everyone for their concern for my little man.

Guest Energy11

Poor little guy!

In addition to his "episode" today, Curfew is also being treated for a penis/sheath infection. It was cultured and is E-coli. He is a big boy, and is on Keflex, 750 mg/day, for 10 days. NOT today, though.

Your guy has a lot going on. Hard to say what the allergic reaction was, BUT, if those wipes were new to him, I'd suspect them.

Hugs and good luck!

Sending hugs for your little guy :grouphug

Skimmie (IG) gets frequent urinary problems - mostly sheath infections. It's very frustrating. Seems like as soon as he finishes treatment for something, the infection comes right back. So far so good this last time, but, if it crops up again anytime soon, I'll ask that he be put on a nice long course of something as I'm worried that the 7-10 day courses aren't enough to really knock out the infection.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Flex is back at the vet..has to stay for a while :( ..his face and eyes started swelling up after we got home as well as red blotches on his belly. Vet wants to observe him for a while..gave him two more shots. I just called back...to let him know I gave Flex his new antibiotic zeniquin about 30 minutes before this episode..maybe he is allergic to that? He said if he is ok there and starts at home again..it is something in my house..nothing really has changed. I had new cleaning people Monday..but they used my supplies. only thing they used I don't use is mr. clean..everything else the same (natural stuff)..I am so worried and confused. I have to call him back around 4..this isn't the regular vet I see in the practice, she is off Thurs and Friday.

Oh goodness, I was hoping he was doing better. Good healing thoughts for your little one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Poor little guy!!! COULD be the antibiotic, based on the reaction after it was given. Humans can react the same way if allergic to an antibiotic. Sending many hugs!

Guest GentleHugs

I'm far from being a vet but one night during the summer, my little girl LuLu licked a toad and stopped breathing just a few minutes afterwards. We didn't know she licked a common toad but her episode happened right after she had come in from being outside. Luckily, we did CPR on her and got her breathing jumpstarted again. The next night, almost the same thing happened except she hived all over and her face swelled up! It was the first time I saw a dog hive! The only thing we had on hand at the time was Zantac so we shoved one of those down her and 10 minutes later - the hives were gone, so was the swelling and she started acting like nothing ever happened. We figured out what was causing her problem on the second night when we surveyed the back yard and saw the baby toads hopping around. LuLu is notorious for playing with "live" critters rolleyes.gif and although she was muzzled during her incidents - she still managed to lick the toad with her muzzle on.

Now, this is winter time so I doubt he licked a toad especially where you live (NY) so common sense tells me it's something he has ingested internally or something used for internal use (ear drops possibly?) - not dermal use.

I'm going to say if he were my dog, I'd stop that antibiotic if this is an antibiotic he's never taken before OR stop the eardrops if they are new to him, too. My bet though would be its the antibiotic especially since the hiving episodes took place just a few minutes after taking it. If you stop the antibiotic and he stops hiving - then you will know what caused them so you can get him on another antibiotic. Like I said - I'm not a vet though.

Sounds like little Flex has a host of problems - poor little guy. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Flex is back at the vet..has to stay for a while :( ..his face and eyes started swelling up after we got home as well as red blotches on his belly. Vet wants to observe him for a while..gave him two more shots. I just called back...to let him know I gave Flex his new antibiotic zeniquin about 30 minutes before this episode..maybe he is allergic to that? He said if he is ok there and starts at home again..it is something in my house..nothing really has changed. I had new cleaning people Monday..but they used my supplies. only thing they used I don't use is mr. clean..everything else the same (natural stuff)..I am so worried and confused. I have to call him back around 4..this isn't the regular vet I see in the practice, she is off Thurs and Friday.

I am so sorry Donna. I have missed the whole H&M for the past couple of days (for my own mental health reasons)

Marybeth is at the vet conference in Florida and will be back in the office on Saturday.

I hope Flex comes around quickly. Which doc did you wind up seeing?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry Donna. I have missed the whole H&M for the past couple of days (for my own mental health reasons)

Marybeth is at the vet conference in Florida and will be back in the office on Saturday.

I hope Flex comes around quickly. Which doc did you wind up seeing?

Hi Robin..I saw Dr. B..ok..Flex needs to be seen again next week..I would prefer to follow up with MB, but when I tried to make appt with her for next week office staff said I needed to follow up with him...

thanks. hope all is well with you.

Thank everyone for caring about my little boy. He came home around 7pm last nite..quite zoned from all the medicine. I tend to think yesterday's episode was due to the antibiotic ( zeniquin is basically changed to baytril in the body?) as vet explained it. He does ok with baytril (although uti is not really)..but this would not explain the episode Wednesday night...His immune system is "off"..

Where we stand:

ear drops last nite: ok

this morning: he looks normal...yaay

instructed not to give antibiotic today/will check in with the vet this morning after my doctor appt

appetite: good..although I am concerned that he has lost 2 lbs..I am thinking the IVD venison and potato is too high volume for his little belly..fills up before he has had enough calories.

I will keep a close eye on him!

spoke with the vet this morning..he wants me to keep him on benedryl for a little while longer 12.5 twice a day. He put him back on the baytril rather than the zenoquin...not wanting to take any chances. He is on a stronger dose than he typically gets since he feels there is a major systemic infection going on..urinary, ear,etc. Pupils still different size...he wants to give drops chance to work before any further tests. He is hoping the inflammation from ear canal is pressing on a nerve..that would be the simplest solution. I hope that is all it is...he worries me so much.

I'm sorry Donna. Keeping your little guy in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I skipped Flex's AM benadryl yesterday since he was looking good..fed him a snack of pasta around 11:30 am, gave him his baytril and went out..came home couple hours later to vomit...forgot he does not tolerate too many carbs at one time. Later in the day, I noticed the right side of his mouth appeared to be swelling, a couple of tiny red marks on his legs. I watched him for a couple hours with no change..called vet and she said to give him the benadryl every 12 hours and let her know how he is doing. she hesitates to give steroids due to his uti..my question: how in the world do I figure out what is causing this: allergy to something or his immune system (he has discoid lupus..which is nicely under control). thanks for any advice/input.