Molly And Other Dogs

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while, reading all the info on this board. My husband and I adopted Molly a little over a week ago, and compared to a lot of other dogs, she has been adjusting fairly easily (there are some issues with the cat and separation right now, but I think both of those take some time and don't have overnight fixes). She is super sweet and beginning to come out of her shell a bit, starting to play with her squeaky toys, sleeps through the night, goes potty outside, etc., etc.

Our apartment building and neighborhood are VERY dog-friendly - there are always a ton of dogs around. There is a small, grassy, fenced in area connected to our building where Molly does her business (otherwise, it's a lot of concrete sidewalks since we're in the city). Molly loves people, and she has done ok with other calm, leashed dogs she meets (I'm very cautious about letting her approach other dogs and vice versa). She does NOT like dogs pawing at her face and jumping. The problem is that a lot of people sometimes let their dogs off-leash to play in the "park."

Last night, we were out for the pre-bedtime potty break when a few people and their dogs came in. The dogs were let off leash, and started rolling around together. They came towards Molly and she snarled at them several times. I tried to pull her to a different corner to pee, but she was distracted and we eventually had to leave. I felt bad for her, and of course, felt...I don't know, very drama-y. Like people would whisper about that vicious greyhound who attacks their puppies. If she's meeting a dog one-on-one, I immediately let people know she's nervous around new dogs, she's a retired racer, etc., etc., but this was a group of people and I didn't feel like shouting across the park to them.

I know there are some greyhounds who just don't like other breeds. I'm also taking her to a greyhound playgroup this weekend, and I guess just need some reassurance that she should be fine with other greys (we met her at a Meet 'n' Greet where she was in a crowd of 10 greys). Also, is there anything I can do to help her in terms of other dogs? I'm not looking to take her to the dog park or be best buddies with every dog, but it'd make both our lives less stressful if she could just ignore the other dogs.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the length!

By the way, this is Miss Molly-butt:

4290655008_d6c948a670.jpg

Welcome and congrats! She is very pretty!

Until you know for sure, I would avoid any off leash dogs. Give her more, (much more time) to become acclimated to your home life. This must be very overwhelming for her to be around so many non greyhounds (which she has never seen before)

Unless you have been told otherwise, she should be fine and actually happy with the other greys.

She may be a girl who doesn't like other dogs of any kind in her face.

My Teddy is not other breed safe at all but he is greyt around other greyhounds.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

She is beautiful and looks a lot like my Dixie and Taylor.

Dixie never met another dog she didn't like. Taylor is different. Sometimes he is fine, sometimes it depends if it is a male or female, on his turf or off, the sun is out or cloudy, I am wearing jeans or shorts.... No really, there is no rhyme or reason to Taylor. So we are more careful with him. When the neighbors' dog is out, if the fence is there, he barks consistently and growls. But if they meet out on the street in front of our properties, it is like old friends getting together. I am just guarded with him and watchful when other dogs are around. Molly may be the same way. Although, he has never had a problem with another Grey.

Good Luck and enjoy her!

Edited by Betsy

Guest Swifthounds

She does NOT like dogs pawing at her face and jumping. The problem is that a lot of people sometimes let their dogs off-leash to play in the "park."

This is really a difference between the way some dogs play (especially small dogs) and the way that greyhounds play. Lots of little dogs jump and paw. Unfortunately, IME small dog owners are almost overwhelmingly ignorant of canine behavior. They tend to either have never had something other than a small dog and therefore don't know that different dogs play differently; or - worse - they think everything "precious" does is just fine.

When greyhounds play with other greyhounds, you're not apt to see any face pawing at all. Greyhounds tend to play by running, bumping, and mouthing. I bet the small dogs wouldn't enjoy that either. You'd also have to look long and hard to find a large dog of almost any breed that enjoys being pawed, though many will tolerate it.

Last night, we were out for the pre-bedtime potty break when a few people and their dogs came in. The dogs were let off leash, and started rolling around together. They came towards Molly and she snarled at them several times. I tried to pull her to a different corner to pee, but she was distracted and we eventually had to leave. I felt bad for her, and of course, felt...I don't know, very drama-y. Like people would whisper about that vicious greyhound who attacks their puppies. If she's meeting a dog one-on-one, I immediately let people know she's nervous around new dogs, she's a retired racer, etc., etc., but this was a group of people and I didn't feel like shouting across the park to them.

If the other dogs are off leash and she is on leash, she'll tend to feel trapped. Dogs in an uncomfortable situation have two options: fight or flight. If she's on leash and they're not, she has fewer options. That said, I would allow her off leash with them, especially since they're not behaving well. I would simply leave the area.

Here's a good read: http://www.nesr.info/images-english-shepherd/He-just-wants-to-say-hi.pdf

I know there are some greyhounds who just don't like other breeds. I'm also taking her to a greyhound playgroup this weekend, and I guess just need some reassurance that she should be fine with other greys (we met her at a Meet 'n' Greet where she was in a crowd of 10 greys). Also, is there anything I can do to help her in terms of other dogs? I'm not looking to take her to the dog park or be best buddies with every dog, but it'd make both our lives less stressful if she could just ignore the other dogs.

No greyhound comes off the track with any idea what other breeds of dog are about, just like they've not seen baby strollers, sliding glass doors, toys, etc. Over time and experience with their new environment, they acclimate. Unless the adoption group said she wasn't small dog/cat safe, she eventually be okay with other breeds if you work on making the encounters positive (lots of treats), find some well behaved dogs for her to experience a bit at a time, and are patient. Greyhounds that are not other dog friendly are a rare thing and IME, you can almost always trace that back to either a bad experience or the dog having that behavior inadvertently encouraged.

Your Molly is beautiful!

Swifthounds, I am reading this topic with interest. Could you clarify this part for me? "That said, I would allow her off leash with them, especially since they're not behaving well."

I'm inclined to think a single word was omitted. Should the sentence read, "That said, I would not allow her off leash with them, especially since they're not behaving well."?

Very pretty hound, Jubilee, and it sounds like she's generally settling in very very well!

Edited by Vers

Guest Swifthounds

Swifthounds, I am reading this topic with interest. Could you clarify this part for me? "That said, I would allow her off leash with them, especially since they're not behaving well."

I'm inclined to think a single word was omitted. Should the sentence read, "That said, I would not allow her off leash with them, especially since they're not behaving well."?

YES! The omission of the "NOT" was a typo. I even read it over and missed. Looks like my editing needs a second cup of coffee.

Thank you for catching that!

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest Jubilee251

YES! The omission of the "NOT" was a typo. I even read it over and missed. Looks like my editing needs a second cup of coffee.

Thank you for catching that!

Haha, I was confused at this initially too! Thanks for clarifying. She is not off-leash; I'm paranoid about letting her off, and the fencing has a few gaps she can squirm out of.

Molly was in a foster home with 5 other greys and cats too, so I know she is tolerant. I tried to put myself between her and the hyperactive playing dogs, and talk to her. When we walk, I usually take her to my other side if another dog (or human) is coming toward us. It's just frustrating because when I meet another lone dog-owner, I can let them know the situation but when it's a pack (and trust me, I try not to put her in those situations! Last night was just a nightmare), she comes off as the weirdo, vicious dog and I know she is NOT.

We met an older woman with an old Golden today, and she said she understood how different Molly's background is and how overwhelming it must be for her, and it's normal. I wanted to hug her for being so understanding!

Edited by Jubilee251

We got a dog returned that started going after the small dog in the family after being together over a year. The owner was convinced he wasn't small dog safe. I took him to foster and after a couple of meet & greets I realized he just didn't like ANY dog getting in his face (which was what the min-pin in the house had been doing), jumping around, trying to lick him, etc.. He was totally fine with dogs of all sizes as long as they respected his space. I just told anyone who had a "friendly" dog to stay away from him. I couldn't really blame him for not liking having dogs jumping in his face.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Being a new owner I understand your apprehension with other hounds, it is a good thing. One thing to note though, when a puppy jumps up on its mother, or other adult hounds for that matter, sometimes the adult dog will growl and/or bare teeth. This is "correction" behavior. Understand the difference between being "not small dog safe" and having a hound that will not tolerate inapropriate behavior from a smaller dog.

What I would suggest until you get more comfortable with your hound, as well as have a better understanding of her tolerance level and prey drive is to simply take your girl out of the situation. I would not suggest you make a big deal out of it at all. If she gets growly, dont correct her, but dont coo at her either. Be firm, calm and confident and say something like, "lets go" or something else. Your hound will feed off your energy. If you are nervous and apprehensive, your hound will feel this and react accordingly. As Swift has said (with the correction), dont let your little girl off-lesh in a park with other hounds for a while until she becomes more comfortable around other hounds as well as your relationship with her becoming more established. What I would suggest is the greyhound play group. Dont have any worries about other greys. Just be sure to take your muzzle with you (at least most groups that I know of require muzzles when greyhounds are turned out together. If your group doesnt, dont let her play. I would also suggest you take her to pet stores so that she can see other dogs in a better controlled environment (usually all dogs are leashed in pet stores) without you having to worry about getting rushed by another dog. You will have to watch out for the ignorant owners that have their ankle biters on flexi-leads running to the extent of the leash.

Good Luck

Chad

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed with Swifthounds and Chad.

Some dogs just don't like other dogs "in their face". It might be something your girl gets used to in time, she might just be nervous right now, or she might always be that way. Getting in another dog's face is considered very rude in dog language and some dogs won't tolerate it.

Congrats on your girl and good luck.

Guest Swifthounds

We got a dog returned that started going after the small dog in the family after being together over a year. The owner was convinced he wasn't small dog safe. I took him to foster and after a couple of meet & greets I realized he just didn't like ANY dog getting in his face (which was what the min-pin in the house had been doing), jumping around, trying to lick him, etc.. He was totally fine with dogs of all sizes as long as they respected his space. I just told anyone who had a "friendly" dog to stay away from him. I couldn't really blame him for not liking having dogs jumping in his face.

Ahhh, if I has a nickel for every time someone's small dog came running and pawing at one of my hounds while the owner said "He's just being friendly!" - I would be retired and living in a greyhound mansion on ten acres. I've actually handed out the brochure I posted the link to above and had folks still not get it.

My hounds live with IGs and cats, but everyone has to mind their manners - no matter how cute you think you are, someone will still think you're annoying.

Lots of good advice here. :)

I just wanted to say that my boy is the same. He hates dogs that jump at him or paw at his face, which consequently means he hates every single puppy that we meet (whether they're on leash or off). He does throw up confusing body language sometimes; he'll strain on the leash and wag his tail with a loose body but very focused expression of excitement, only to growl when the bouncy dog gets too close. Because I know how he is, I tell anyone approaching to introduce their dog(s) that Peyton does not like jumpy dogs and/or puppies, and most people will either hold their dog in check, or allow a careful introduction, pulling their dog back if it behaves in a way that results in Peyton growling. So far I have been very lucky because everyone has understood.

If a dog is off leash, I always keep it away from Peyton.