Arthritis? Corn?

Ali's a 9 year old 85 lb. male. For a couple of weeks now he's been limping slightly. His front right leg seems to be bothering him. I've checked the pads for a corn, but don't see anything unusual. He's not licking it, so it seems to be more general. He lets me move it around, I don't notice any point that bothers him, and it seems to have a good range of motion (but what do I know). I suspect arthritis, as it seems to bother him more in the morning, and as the day goes on, he's walking fine. He still occasionally races around the yard, but then favors the leg more. Today he's still limping even though he's been up a while. I think we'll skip his afternoon walk (he's not going to like that!). Does it sound like it's time for x-rays? My wife says I'm over-reacting, as the dog doesn't seem to be in pain (she pointed out that I limp in the morning, too).

I agree, at least getting an xray you can put your mind to ease knowing it is not something more serious and maybe get some meds to help him when it is acting up.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about the limping. Yes, it could be arthritis or a hidden corn, but, yes, given his age, I'd get the x-ray, just for peace of mind. Hugs and good luck!

Arthritis doesn't just show up as a limp. It normally starts as stiffness, trouble rising, trouble laying down.

Given the horrifyingly high incidence of bone cancer in Greyhounds, you need to have his leg x-rayed ASAP.

Don't mean to sound harsh--but it's VERY important that any unexplained limp be checked out in a Greyhound.

Good luck! Hope it's nothing much!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My wife says I'm over-reacting, as the dog doesn't seem to be in pain (she pointed out that I limp in the morning, too).

There's a diffierence between dogs and humans. Dog's are still using their survival instinct where as humans know they aren't being hunted. Dogs aren't going to limp until the pain is too much for them to tolerate. Your Ali is in pain, please get his leg checked and x-rayed.

Thanks for all the help. I brought him to the vet this morning. He agreed that it sounded like arthritis and gave Ali a steroid shot and a prescription for prednisone. Ali's walking much better already. He did bloodwork, but opted out of x-rays. Those will be done if Ali isn't responding to the anti-inflamatories. I did ask about bone cancer, but the vet said there would be more evidence of localized pain (of course, the dog wasn't even limping when I walked him for them). He also started him on glucosamine treats, which Ali is already drooling for. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and am thankful we recently moved to a house from a third floor condo (no more stairs!).