Hacking Noise

Guest greysonly

Guest greysonly

Marley has been doing this Hacking noise. He doesn't do it everyday. It is like he is gagging on something and trying to throw something up but he doesn't throw anything up it is all. It is a dry cough hack. I guess the best description is like someone sicking there finger down your throat and gagging? He does it after eats and when he is laying down. I am kinda concerned because I have done searches on the internet and I am now kinda freaked out. I have an appointment with the vet on Saturday but I was just wondering if anyone has had their grey do this? At first I just thought he was gagging on his food because he eats really fast but he does it sometimes when he is laying down. Marley is 8. *sigh* I pray it is nothing serious and I am over reacting.

Guest smarthound

Our pups occasionally make a hacking noise after they've eaten. It may be that they've inhaled some food and just clearing their throat. However, it's good that you're seeing the vet to make sure. Especially if this is a new behavior.

Hope all goes well!

Guest Energy11

Could just be something like allergies. The internet and it's diagnosis can be VERY misleading and scary! It is good that you are going to the vet to get everything checked, but you can make yourself a nervous wreck going online.

Good Luck and keep us posted! Lots of hugs!

I'm not sure if this is the same symptom that we see in Peanut (and I'm no vet), but for about a year and half she will "hack" up her water after drinking (not always, but often) and sometimes after a treat. The vet feels it may be a sign of laryngeal paralysis, but until (and if) her symptoms worsen, the vet feels we should not do the surgery. Perhaps this condition is something to at least ask your vet about? And just to reassure you, Peanut has had this a long while and the worst of it is mopping up puddles of water after she drinks. We have not experienced anything beyond that.

Good luck and I hope you not only get some answers, but good news answers!

Alan did the same thing for a while like Riley did. I wasn't sure why or what it was from, but I was told that could be from the kidney disease he had - I thought it was the beginning of LP.

Riley does this all the time, and we recently found out he has LP. If your greyhound keeps doing it, it might be worth having the test done. Have you noticed him panting more heavily?

here's Riley doing it http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oA_sFmUltqk

That is exactly what he does sad.gif but he doesn't pant at all?

Sparks doesn't pant much either and he has mild LP

I think it's gotten worse- I can hear him breathing some times

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest greysonly

Riley does this all the time, and we recently found out he has LP. If your greyhound keeps doing it, it might be worth having the test done. Have you noticed him panting more heavily?

here's Riley doing it http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oA_sFmUltqk

That is exactly what he does :( but he doesn't pant at all?

Sparks doesn't pant much either and he has mild LP

I think it's gotten worse- I can hear him breathing some times

Dang it Kari that sucks about Sparks. :( Marley breaths really heavy when coming in from running. I am afraid Marley has this :(

Our girl has started doing this (she's 13) and she was recently diagnosed with heart disease (coughing is a symptom) - however, we also decreased her coughing quite a bit by adding humidifiers in our home - the air is just really dry because of our heating and I think it was just drying her throat out. Hopefully it's just something simple - but I'm glad to hear you're going to the vet for a definite answer!

Just been through this in the past week with my 10 year old. Currently thinking is an upper respiratory infection. He's on a seven day course of Clavamox that he started yesterday. He's a little better today and they said he could get worse before getting better and that it could take 48 hours to show improvement. Don't panic get. It could be something simple.

Guest greysonly

Just been through this in the past week with my 10 year old. Currently thinking is an upper respiratory infection. He's on a seven day course of Clavamox that he started yesterday. He's a little better today and they said he could get worse before getting better and that it could take 48 hours to show improvement. Don't panic get. It could be something simple.

Thanks I hope so :) He hasn't done it for a couple of days now so fingers crossed it is nothing.

Guest momto5greys

Cammi was doing a little cough every so often and she would yak up her dry food a couple of times before she could get it swallowed. I had her in for a dental and had the vet look down her throat in the process and she found a mass. That was 2 years and many dollars ago and she is still with me. She has developed another lump under her chin though so not sure what we're going to do about that, but hers started with a cough that was more often than you normally hear.