Going Out In The Middle Of The Night

Guest jessicaksu125

I wonder if it's the late feeding? And now a habit. Mine have a last turnout anywhere from 8 pm to 10 pm and may sleep till 9 am if I do. Even if I get up in the nighttongue.gif they do not. Now if either of them was to start cryng at me in the night, I would race them out the door cause there would indeed be a great need.

I would also expect to have to take sick or senior dogs out more often, not young healthy dogs. I think I would look at this as a training issue if there is no sign of a medical issue.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest arlosmom

Yeh, Jewel goes out to chase bunnies or other varmits in the wee hours. Maybe she hears them I don't know. She doesn't do it all the time but I go out with her and sometimes she just runs around the yard. :blink:

A few years ago, I left Riley with a friend for a week. I told her his regular schedule of last potty around 10pm and wake up around 6am. I told her he always sleep through the night, unless there was a real emergency. I guess the first night Riley was a bit unsettled being in a new place, and woke my friend up in the middle of the night. She thought he must have to go out, so she took him. He then realized that waking her up meant a walk, so he asked to go out every few hours at night for a whole week :eek My friend didn't know better, so she took him out each time (no yard, so she had to walk him) thinking he had to go. Sucker! :lol

In reality, Riley does not need to go out in the middle of night. He can hold it, and does almost always. Of course there have been times when he wasn't feeling well and then I take him out. I can tell the difference between "emergency whining" and "bored/restless whining". He is almost 11 now so I am hoping he will continue to be able to hold it. But if/when the time comes that he cannot, I will gladly take him out in the middle of the night :heart

We're going through the same thing right now, and it tends to happen here in winter. When it's cold, icy, snowy, the dogs come in too quickly from the yard, maybe not emptied out as well as they could be. Our oldest says she doesn't need to go out and moments later will pee in the house. They get less exercise in general, because our walks are shorter and they have trouble finding places to potty with snow so high and icy along sidewalks and streets. It's just something we deal with this time of year--I get up with them once or twice a night and then go back to sleep. I go to bed early to make up the sleep I will miss. My guys do not have UTI's--had them tested. Waiting for spring!!!!!!!!!