Metacam( Safe Or Not)

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

My greyhound had x-rays done due to her limping ( we thought she had an ACL tear). It was discovered that, even though she is only 5 yrs, she has the begginings of fusion of the spine which is usually found in older dogs. My vet has placed her on Metacam. Is there any negatives to keeping a grey on this drug long term? I am giving her cosequin ds too just so she is more comfortable.

Metacam is one of the easiest on the gut NSAIDS for those with sensitive GI tracts. I take it as meloxicam (pill form for humans). We had a dog on it too. It's actually much less expensive to give it that way that the liquid Metacam version. I've even given Metacam to cats b/c the vets said it's the safest anti-inflamatory for even them. It's a good drug to start with.:)

My dog that just passed had early stage kidney disease and had to be put on metacam for an unrelated problem the last couple weeks of his life. Our vet told us metacam was hard on the kidneys and it wouldn't be her first choice but it was the least of his troubles at that point. I'm not sure how it would affect a healthy dog in the long term though.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I've had 2 on Metacam long term with no bad effects. However I am a firm believer in having blood work done prior to starting the drug and every 6 months after that for as long as they're on it.

It keeps a look out for liver and kidney function. Both of my dogs were seniors when they were on it

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Interesting about kidney problems and Metacam's effect on them. One cat of ours had kidney stones - inside both kidneys - when he was put on it. I think there is no other pain relief choice for a cat. I would think Metacam would a lot easier on a dog. It's tough to balance the condition with the pain relief needed. There are side effects to everything, that's for sure.

Guest greyhoundgirl1

By spinal fusion, do you mean spondylosis deformans?

Gee, I don't remember the vet using these terms, but I will find out and post back. Is there something I should know if her condition is actually spondylosis deformans?

By spinal fusion, do you mean spondylosis deformans?

Gee, I don't remember the vet using these terms, but I will find out and post back. Is there something I should know if her condition is actually spondylosis deformans?

Probably not; it's pretty common.

On the purely theoretical side of it, spondylosis deformans may (or may not) be related to ankylosing spondylitis in humans; it's an autoimmune disease that begins in the gut, and NSAIDs are contraindicated. But that's two BIG theoretical leaps, so not giving him Metacam for that reason alone would be a poor choice.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Stella had been on Metacam for 3.5 weeks when she died suddenly at home.

I am NOT saying it had anything to do with it and we didn't get a PM, I was too heartbroken to deal with the thought. It is just one of those things that has weighed on my mind ever since, but we all know I am neurotic so take it with a grain of salt.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Sugar was on Metacam for about three years for her arthritis. It was the only NASID my vet wanted to use because she also had heart disease. She did die of kidney failure, at 12 1/2, but this was after 2+ yrs on Enalipril and Lasix, and a year on Vetmedin, which is known to be hard on the kidneys. She had actually been off Metacam for about 6-8 months, at the end. It seems to be as safe as any NASID for long term use, for most dogs. Definitely get regular blood tests.

Guest Mooogies

My Bernese Mountain dog was on Metacam for 3 years, twice a day and it brought back her energy level and she went from basically lying around and having a lot of difficulty getting up (she was only 6 when her arthritis got so bad that she had to go on Metacam full time) to having energy, running, no limping and the average energy level a 6 year old Berner should have. She had zero side effects while she was on it and it brought back a great quality into her life.