Can You Give A Bath With Stitches?

Jabari had 2 cysts removed last Wednesday (5 days ago) that required stitches. Both are healing nicely and have scabbed over. He does not smell too good from being at the vet and not feeling well. Can I give him a bath? The stitches do not come out for another week. Thanks.

(I would call my vet but they are closed today)

Best to keep the stitches dry.

Can you kinda clean around the stitches without getting them wet?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

The stitches need to be kept dry. I'd use some pet wipes on him, ... (*like baby wipes). You can even get them in the pet section at Wal-Mart. Hugs to you and "stinky!" :-))

Guest widowcali

I second the pet wipes. When Cali, aka Staplebutt, had her little accident, she had staples in her butt for almost 2 weeks (hence the name). And she reaked! Between the ER smell, the smell of the crud I had to cover her stalples in (it was some kind of prescription neosporin stuff - not neosporin because it smelled!), and the fact that she couldn't do her usual after potty grooming, she was not a "fresh blooming rose." I bought a box of those pet wipes and would give her a quick rub down every other day or so. The little princess actually liked these. Actually, she may have just liked the fact that everyone in the house would stop, drop, and serve every time she so much as sighed loudly. lol

The stitches need to be kept dry. I'd use some pet wipes on him, ... (*like baby wipes). You can even get them in the pet section at Wal-Mart. Hugs to you and "stinky!" :-))

Ok, thanks everyone. I have been using wipes on him and will continue.

It is funny you called him Stinky, that is his nickname b/c of his previously horrendous breath (teeth have since been removed, so no more Stinks!)

I know when I had sutures in my arms a little over a year ago, I was told to keep them dry for the first couple days, then it was fine. It made showers interesting for the first couple days, but was fine after That.

However, for a dog, I would go with waterless shampoo instead, to freshen him up a bit, then a full bath a couple days after the sutures come out. I always liked the one in the black bottle, by Miracle Coat - available at any big box pet store!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest RocketDog

Another vote for Miracle Coat stuff here - their products smell awesome and would probably work as a licking deterrent because of the tea tree oil. And I always keep baby wipes around, they work great for quick wipedowns and they are very gentle on skin.

Edited by RocketDog

Check with your vet, but the rule whenever I've had surgery has been showers okay (no scrubbing, just letting water run down) but no submersion. Gently pat, don't rub the area dry.

If you're looking to soak up some oil, baby powder works, but I wouldn't get that near the stitches.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.