Poop Eating

Akon has recently started eating poop. Are there any theories as to why dogs do this? I'm muzzling him and will likely have to get a poop guard or use some duct tape. I'm trying to pick up as soon as they go but it's been snowy and it's hard to get all the remnants :blink:

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest Energy11

Goldie is OBCESSED WITH eating poop!!! You have to get RIGHT out there, or she will eat it as the others poop! :-(

JUST got all of her bloodwork back, and it is perfect, so who knows! The vet says some dogs just are prone to it, especially ones who've been kenneled. She isn't now, but was back in her racing days.

I've tried hot mustard, chili pepper, and Forbid (from the vet). NOPE!

Good Luck with this ~

Thanks for the feedback. You're right. It's a non-issue in the spring, summer, and fall months but the snow makes it harder. I'll have to be more vigilant. Yesterday while Rock was pooping Akon ran across the yard for a snack. Fortunately I beat him to it. Of course when I catch him, I'm dry heaving so the neighbors are likely having a good laugh at my expense. :blush

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Guest Energy11

Thanks for the feedback. You're right. It's a non-issue in the spring, summer, and fall months but the snow makes it harder. I'll have to be more vigilant. Yesterday while Rock was pooping Akon ran across the yard for a snack. Fortunately I beat him to it. Of course when I catch him, I'm dry heaving so the neighbors are likely having a good laugh at my expense. blush.gif

All of snow and ice melted :-( I love winter! Anyway, Goldie like Poopsicles too, when she can get them. NOTHING make me dry heave, but I am a retired paramedic :"-))

Guest SoulsMom

Soul was very, very skinny when he first came home and he took a liking to snacking on the poo. Once I got some weight on him this behavior stopped.

Archie, on the other paw, decided his first winter here that he was STARVING and started with the poop eating. That first year it only lasted for the winter, but Archie being a terrier, has decided he now must forage all year long :rolleyes:

Hopefully Akon will be like my disgusting creatures and only enjoy the frozen version. We don't have any issues once the weather warms up. Muzzles and stool guards do the trick here. They don't even attempt when the muzzles are on.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest sja5032

In the kennel, poop eating usually peaks in the winter. There are many theories like lack of nutrients/calories to keep warm etc etc.

Other reasons I've heard: Parasites, food is not digested (poop smells like food), bad habits, dog eats too fast, lack of certain vitamins, the list goes on for ages.

Dixxie has to go out with her stool guard on or she hunts for any and all poo, my little pit on the other hand only enjoys her own as fresh as she can get it. We've tried all of the above with Reese (the pit) and nothing worked, she was a shelter dog found as a stray I think she might have picked it up from being on her own, trying to fend for herself.

Mikey has been poop eating and the only way to not allow it is to leash walk him in the fenced backyard and cleaning it up right as he goes

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Well I've taped his muzzle and will pick up ASAP. It does seem the frozen version is a delight for him. As far as my reaction to his eating poop, there is a reason why I work in psychiatry :)

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Guest FrostyBottoms

Are there any theories as to why dogs do this?

Yes... Some dogs just really really like poop.

lol.gif This is so true!

lol.gif

Vinny is my bigtime poopsicle eater....he & Frosty were just on beef & rice and neither were digesting the rice so they both were eating it....it was so disgusting.....Vinny literally sat next to Frosty while she was pooping to try and catch it before it hit the ground (he didn't want it to get dirty on the ground) I just spent a half an hour with the kids in the backyard with landscape shovels trying to get the rock hard frozen poop out and in a garbage bag...I also tred to get any poop residue off of the snow...that was a lot harder than i thought it would be. We didn't really get it all...but we got rid of a lot of poopy snow. Good luck!

Jilly Bean is my worst. Last night she decided to bring in one of her frozen treats and drop it on my bed. A gift I think.:rolleyes:

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SoulsMom

I just spent a half an hour with the kids in the backyard with landscape shovels trying to get the rock hard frozen poop out and in a garbage bag...I also tred to get any poop residue off of the snow...that was a lot harder than i thought it would be. We didn't really get it all...but we got rid of a lot of poopy snow. Good luck!

Golf clubs or a hockey stick B)

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest FrostyBottoms

I just spent a half an hour with the kids in the backyard with landscape shovels trying to get the rock hard frozen poop out and in a garbage bag...I also tred to get any poop residue off of the snow...that was a lot harder than i thought it would be. We didn't really get it all...but we got rid of a lot of poopy snow. Good luck!

Golf clubs or a hockey stick cool.gif

lol.giflol.gif

Funny thing is, we did this right after we got home from golf lessons, and just before Drake wanted to go play hockey with the boy down the street! I could just imagine my neighbors looking out their windows wondering what in the he77 I was doing.

Oh...I have a picture...Vinny...trying to come inside and stay warm while he indulges.

DSCN6051.jpg

Urrgh, Beth is a poopsicle fan too. She knows the "leave it" command perfectly well but gets completely "la la la I can't hear you!" when poopsicles are involved. Actually, they're a good way to exercise her because I come over to stop her and she picks one up and races far away from me to eat it -- it becomes a big game for her! (She can only get into them at the dog park, I pick up all of hers instantly.)

I think she just likes it ... and evidently it's only some that are really desirable, others she ignores!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Poop eating becomes an obsession for some. I have a 10 year old grey, Ali who eats it every chance she gets. She goes outside with her duct tapped muzzle on every time. I forgot to put it on her one night she needed out and she ate some poop only to barf it up in the house later that day.

Guest houndhome

Tigger loves all things frozen - ice cubes, ice cream, and particularly the tasty poopsicles! He doesn't eat the soft ones, but man, he loves those frozen ones. It is so gross!

Guest FrostyBottoms

I've had a poop eating breakthrough!

Okay...I hope this works for all of you too!

Vinny wants out...I show him the bag of marshmellows and tell him he will get a treat when he goes potty...

he is outside pooping, as soon as the last poop drops, before he is standing straight...I open the door and yell "good boy Vinny...you want a treat???!!!" He comes bolting in because he remembered i have marshmellows!

It has been working so far today....I hope it continues to!