My Beautiful Smiley

Guest Smiley

Beth, I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug I know you may not be able to right now, but I hope that as time passes you will see that you did the best you could with the information you had. This was just a tragic unexpected result. Your love for Smiley is so evident, again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth, my heart is crying for you. He was your special buddy, your partner, your sweet dog, and it's so obvious how much you loved each other.

He came home to you, and will always be in your heart. I know it feels like a black hole where your heart was, but be ready. He'll bring it back to you, full of love, full of happy memories.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

My heart sank to my feet when I saw Smiley's name here. As much as everyone who was pulling for him is feeling such shock and sadness, I can't imagine the pain you are in right now. That emotional roller coaster you've been on---the anguish of that most horrible diagnosis, the uncertainty of what could be a life or death decision, the joy of the prospect of more quality time together,the celebration of each small victory, and always, hope. You did everything you possibly could, and your hope for Smiley was so natural---like a parent's for a child---so heartfelt and unselfish, and to have that stolen away from you is absolutely devastating. Beth, my heart is breaking for you and Pete, and I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. I hope it helps just a little to know that so many understand, and are sharing your sadness. What a wonderful gentleman he was, and how you loved him.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Smiley.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so very sorry for your loss....your Smiley looks so much like my Otis. They are geeting others at the Bridge.

You are in my thoughts.

I had been following Smiley's story, and was so very sorry to read about what happened. You and your DH made the decisions you did based on the best info from the best Greyhound drs. around. Smiley is now pain free, and I know he knew how much you loved him. Again, so very very sorry it turned out this way.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I am so sorry and shocked to read this.Life can be so unfair - how heartbreaking for all of you; but I am so glad you were able to make the journey to be with him, so you could all be together for his final journey. He always knew your love

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Smiley.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed Smileyboy.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Oh Beth, I was so sad to have read this this evening :(

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest PeanutsPop

To everyone,

Thank you all for you unbelievable support! Beth and I are really struggling now that our boy is gone. The words I type in this message cannot begin to express how thankful I am for all the words everyone has written.

Smiley was to me the perfect dog. He was playful and snuggly, he was shy yet brave, reserved, spastic, a protector, clean!, beautiful and handsome, a crybaby and a mama's boy, but tough when he needed to be (afraid of small dogs, but would growl and bark at a German Shepard!), he could gut a stuffy in seconds, always getting some fluf stuck on his nose or in his teeth. He was a pain in the a$$ to his sister Peanut, and would go out of his way to stand in front of her and block her view of whatever she was gazing at, and would stand next to her and bark righ in her ear...over and over and over and over! He was probably one of the only greyhounds that would bark when he wanted in, and he could catch a frisbee on the run!

He was truly a sighthound, and loved to see things. He loved to stand at the windows in our house and look out to see the squirrels, wild turkey and birds at the feeder. He loved going for car rides and would always perk up when we passed the local farms with the cows, and the same for the horses. He came into our shop with us all the time and would stand at our office door and watch me and the guys working. He and Peanut were our customer relations officers, always greeting people who came into the office.

This disease is an amazingly horrible one, it took our boy in a matter of days, but couldn't take his huge spirit! On the day we decided to admit him to the OSU Hospital for surgery to remove his leg, we took him for what turned out to be our last walk. While on that walk, he stopped, pointed his nose up into the air (that big shnoz that Beth loves so much!) and took in some smell passing in the breeze. His eyes closed so all his doggy focus could go to that one sense. That was the quiet happiness of dog!

As I wrote before, this is a horrible disease that took Smiley. So to honor him I am posting this short video of him playing at our local dogpark. This was our Smiley, our playful, runnin', stuffy shreddin', frisbee catchin', nature lovin', goofball, sister aggrivating, crybaby, mama's boy, superdog!

Smiley at the Dogpark

Love you all,

Pete Wade

Edited by PeanutsPop

Beth and Pete, you summed up beautifully your love for Smiley.

He was a "lucky" guy to have you two, but I know you would agree it was really you two who were lucky. To share our lives with them and receive their love is life changing. I think we all fell in love with him on GT. I haven't posted because I really had no words. I mean how can one say I'm so incredibly sorry and that osteo sucks. It seems not enough. But I hope you both know that the love you gave to Smiley was more than enough. I think that's really what matters....love.

May you find peace, strength and comfort you so deserve.

The outcome of Smiley really left me heartbroken.

Run free sweet boy. The sky will be brighter because of him...

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Beth,

So sorry to hear about your sweet boy.

Run free Smiley.

Hugs,

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 33.09 KB (33,886 bytes) file size.

Darlene and Garon with Selena-JCKC 5/23/2005 & Mosa-RDR 2/5/2010

Missing Santannah Belle-NSRA 7/7/2001- 9/6/2012