Had A Seizure

Guest MyBoys

My almost 12 year old boy is on phenobarb for seizures, he was having seizures when we adopted him a little over a year ago but has not had any seizures since starting on the phenobarb. In the middle of the night last night all my smoke alarms went off :eek but after running around trying to figure things out we realized there must have been a short in one of them. Two of our boys were following us around the house but Sean never got up and went into a full blown seizure. My question is, could the high pitch sound of the smoke alarms possibly have been the cause of his seizure???? He has room to increase the phenobarb dosage but I don't want to do that unless it is really nessesary. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear that. :( Stress can definitely trigger seizures. Is he usually noise-sensitive? If so I suppose that could have triggered it. How is he doing now?

Guest eaglflyt

My almost 12 year old boy is on phenobarb for seizures, he was having seizures when we adopted him a little over a year ago but has not had any seizures since starting on the phenobarb. In the middle of the night last night all my smoke alarms went off :eek but after running around trying to figure things out we realized there must have been a short in one of them. Two of our boys were following us around the house but Sean never got up and went into a full blown seizure. My question is, could the high pitch sound of the smoke alarms possibly have been the cause of his seizure???? He has room to increase the phenobarb dosage but I don't want to do that unless it is really nessesary. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes. Sounds, flashing lights, and other similar events can trigger seizures. I would ask your vet, or a veterinary neurologist, and explain all the circumstances and follow their advice.

Good luck and hugs to your boy.

Guest mirthlesstroll

It could have. My Bridge Baby, Logan had hypnogogic seizures. (simple explanation - the state between awake and asleep) He would have a seizure if he was startled awake by a loud sound, or if I bumped into his crate hard enough.

Thank you all, he seems just fine now and so far so good, no more seizures. I will keep a close watch on our boy to make sure this does not become a pattern.