Growth In Inner Corner Of Eye...

Suds has been scratching at his face/head...thought it was itchy ears. Last night I was looking at his face straight on and noticed what looked like an engorged tick in the corner of his eye. I explored and discovered that it is some sort of growth. It was red and swollen because he had been scratching at it. He goes to the vet to have it checked tomorrow. Today it was not as large and puffy. Looks like a cross between a tick and a blood blister. At times it appears to be just sitting on the edge of the eyelid. At other times it is hard to see because it is almost inside the eyelid when his eye isn't fully opened. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Thanks!

it sounds like it might be a sty. I've had one on my own eye and they are quite uncomfortable, but not life threatening. You can do a google search on eye stys in dogs and get some basic information. It's a really good idea though to take your dog to a vet to have it properly diagnosed.

It sounds like it could be a chalazion. I had never heard of this until I took my galgo, Cruz, in to have his eye checked for a small growth in his lower eyelid. Anyway, it's basically caused by a blocked oil gland. The term is sometimes used interchangably with stye but my vet says there's a difference, but some websites say they're the same thing. :dunno

This is from a dog health website online:

"Chalazion (ka-lay-zee-on). Retention or blockage of oily secretions from the Meibomian gland extravasates into surrounding eyelid tissues and induce a granulomatous inflammatory response. Clinically a chalazion appears as a firm, nodular, yellow-gray mass through the palpebral conjunctival surface (Figure 5) and is painless. Chalazia occur more frequently in dogs than in cats and most commonly occur secondary to a Meibomian gland adenoma which block secretion of the Meibomian gland. Treatment requires surgical curettage through the conjunctiva.2 The skin is not incised. Aftercare consists of topical antibiotic-steroid solution for 5-7 days."

Cruz has not had any surgery or treatment for his. I massage it and sometimes use a warm compress on it when it gets larger. He's very good about letting me do this. Right now it's all but gone, but it does tend to get blocked and will enlarge again and I repeat the process.

Let us know what your vet says.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Beau had a stye when he was on higher doses. It went away on it's own in about 5-7 days.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The first time he saw her for it was in June. He punctured it and squeezes a bunch of yucky brown gunk out. He put her on antibiotics and we hoped it wouldn't come back. When I took her back this week he decided to remove it. She is 12 1/2 and came through fine. It is not cancerous. Here is the after picture(she looks much better today):

855cee98c08d44658ed091cc755ff305.JPG

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

It's a meibomian gland adenoma. The vet recommended removing it. They have to cut into the eyelid to get it out so it is best to have it removed before it gets much bigger. He said that they usually do grow and can irritate the cornea. As it grows it becomes more of a bother to the dog and infections and bleeding can develop from scratching at it. I will probably have it done soon.

Good news. Gypsy is much happier with her's gone. Went to a Meet-N-Greet today and she had a good time. Her eye looks great and doesn't seem to bother her at all. If Suds has dew claws you may want to put vet wrap on them. Gypsy scratched her eye in June rubbing at it. I have vet wrap on her now just in case but she really hasn't been rubbing at it.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Don't think it sounds like the same thing Princess had, but she did have to have part of her eyelid removed to get this off:

CIMG2267.jpg

She came through fine and it healed well. good luck!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.