Diabetes

Guest Julieann

Guest Julieann

My 7 yr old grey, male has just had his toe amputated due to his diabetes. We maybe switching from the vetsulin to insulin. He has had seizures and very high and very low readings on the vetsulin. Anyone familiar with this problem? Thank You, Julie

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am a human diabetic; not as familiar with the canine variety but the highs and lows indicate that his blood glucose values aren't remaining stable, = poor control of his diabetes. This can lead to all kinds of systemic problems, including poor circulation, nerve damage, kidney problems, etc... Wounds on the extremities often don't heal well due to poor circulation. You don't give specifics as to why the toe is being amputated but human patients are subject to losing toes, feet, even limbs due to infection if they don't keep their diabetes under control.

KennelMom (Heather) is a GT member who recently adopted an older diabetic greyhound named Quilty; she has undergone the process of getting Quilty's diabetes under control and has been pretty successful, hopefully she will chime in. I hope you and your vet are able to get your pup stabilized...

Edited to add; here is a linky to a little article that discusses the different types of insulin commonly used in canines. I hope it helps.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1338924/vetsulincaninsulin_or_nph_insulin.html?cat=53

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest DundeeToddsMom

My weimaraner was a diabetic and MI Vet Clinic had us put her on human insulin (Humalin). We purchased it from our neighborhood drug store with a prescription. MI Vet told us it was less expensive that way and did the same thing as the vet variety. She was also on human high blood pressure meds. Good luck with your baby.