Spookie Grace Went Rattlesnake On Me..

Monday, my spookie Grace cut her paw so I did the usual clean and to keep her from licking I wrapped her paw up with some gauze and vet wrap. Tuesday did the bandage change, no problem she just layed there and I went about my business. Well, Wednesday while in the middle of changing the bandage, I must have touched something different then before because Gracie went from laying down to a full blown rattlesnake lunge at my face. Ever look down a greyhound's throat when they are doing an Aliens on your face?? :lol

Luckily the only damage I ended up with was a cut over one of my eyes. This fat old man still has good reaction time. But it does wake ya up when you feel greyhound teeth under your chin and over your eyes. :lol After all the greyhounds I have had and had through the Magic Foster House Gracie is the first to take a bite at me.

It did show me that you can never let your guard down. I got complacent and paid for it.

Always muzzle a pet when you are doing first aid..

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Glad you are ok. That sounds like a something a spookie type dog would do, bite with no warning. I've had enough experiences with my kids to always muzzle and also always do stuff while they are standing. I even make my poor vet use a cloth muzzle.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

OW! Glad you are OK. These kids can move soooooooooooooo fast.

I would, however, dispute the "fat old man" designation. Unless you've done a lot of airbrushing on the pics, not fat and not old either.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mountain4greys

We muzzle to, but you still have to be careful. One of our boys doesn't like getting his front paw nails done. One swing of the muzzle got my DW right over the eye, and opened it up.

So glad you're OK! Yes, it's certainly a reminder not to get complacent, but you can be pleased that she has such good bite inhibition! A cut over the eye when you felt teeth under your chin as well is pretty amazing - good girl, Grace!

And I'm really pleased to see that you don't blame her. Good for you too! :thumbs-up

I always watch body language very, very carefully when I'm doing something to the dogs - I learned to do that with spooky Jack - but even so, I felt Sid's teeth the other day when I touched a sore spot. He too has good bite inhibition, I'm happy to report! :lol Not a scratch on me, bless him.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ever since reading the Patricia McConnell books, I've been watching Capri's face and body. I can tell when she smiles, but otherwise I can't tell when she's annoyed or anything. She's very stoic. She has snapped at me a few times but always inhibits her bites. I know it's always my fault, or sometimes she's just cranky and I unthinkingly bugged her, but I still never see it coming. She doesn't tense up or go wall-eyed or anything. Do you guys feel the same way, or am I just too new at being a doggy momma?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Ouch... I am glad you are OK.... and thank you for the reminder to muzzle whenever giving First Aid to our hounds...

How is she doing?

She is doing fine. Paw is a lot better. Even after the bite, she did something she hasn't done in the 3 months she has been here. She jumped on the bed and layed next to me and slowly wiggled and roached until she was on top of me.. :lol

Guest greybookends

I SOOOOO know where you are coming from. My Sheana who is not now and never has been a spook did this to me a couple of years ago (totally my fault). Same situation, I was caring for a puncture wound and she decided enough was enough and lunged at me and got me in the eye. I had a heck of a cut and shiner, I should have gone to the ER and gotten stitches but I did not want her labeled a biter for my own stupidity. Now I muzzle whenever I'm doing wound care. Lesson learned!

I'm glad you are both ok. :grouphug

Even after the bite, she did something she hasn't done in the 3 months she has been here. She jumped on the bed and layed next to me and slowly wiggled and roached until she was on top of me.. lol.gif

Am I allowed to say, I told you so? :rofl Hope you're not too sore today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ever since reading the Patricia McConnell books, I've been watching Capri's face and body. I can tell when she smiles, but otherwise I can't tell when she's annoyed or anything. She's very stoic. She has snapped at me a few times but always inhibits her bites. I know it's always my fault, or sometimes she's just cranky and I unthinkingly bugged her, but I still never see it coming. She doesn't tense up or go wall-eyed or anything. Do you guys feel the same way, or am I just too new at being a doggy momma?

Really depends on the dog. Some growl or give off pretty good body language, some don't. If in doubt, I like to have the dog up on his/her feet for doctoring, nails, etc. -- harder on the person but gives the dog more of an escape route if s/he feels threatened. "Poised to ..." might be a more noticeable thing to look for than tensed. Wish I could get some videos of Joseph ......

Don't forget too that especially when a dog is lying down, s/he can be totally zoned out yet have eyes open, *appearing* awake and alert but not being. Easy to startle in that state, and a startle response is *fast*.

Thinking about this brings back some funny memories. My angel Batman was the quintessential laid back greyhound. You could do anything to that boy and he'd mostly just lie there wagging his tail. If you did do something that tickled or he didn't like, he'd just calmly and oh-so-gently turn his head around and take your hand in his mouth to move it away. Dog in a million, that boy. :wub:

Yup...been there. Thankfully, I remembered a muzzle.

When Naples tore her dewclaw. Now, she is the sweetest, most loving, least likely to even think about biting dog I have known. But I though, if she is hurting, she may bite, so on went the muzzle, and DH held her to calm her a bit.

By the time I needed to change the bandage, blood had stuck the dewclaw to the gauze. I soaked it in salilne, and worked slowly to loosen the gauze, but it still hurt (poor girl!). She whipped around, and hit me on the top of the head with her muzzle! She did try to bite! I hugged her, and asked her to bear with me. She did! What a good girl!

I felt so bad for hurting her, though. After that, I did not change the bandage again, because she was going in for a dental/removal of dewclaws two days after that anyway.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

As Batmom says, some give clear signals, but with others it can be really, really subtle. In such a dog, sometimes the only sign is 'moving the eyes'. Yeah, you have to be a real expert to pick that one up in these cases :lol. But in time, yes, you can learn your own dog's body language enough that if you're paying attention you will at least get a hint.

A better source of body language and behaviour signals, in my opinion, is Stanley Coren. Try 'How to Speak Dog'. Patricia McConnell is very good indeed (we used her books when we got our first greyhound, James) but I think Mr Coren is better - and he's just as easy to read, too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Gregg,

I am glad you are pretty OK. And thank you for the reminder. We have spooks and they can go into that rattlesnake mode at any time. I've had a few black eyes from them. After one does that I usually adopt them as a regular adopter would not understand. I feel the safety of the greyhound they should not go into general adoption. I have bad thoughts about what might happen to them.

Hugs and kisses to the furbabies

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest iconsmum

you're probably missing it because it can be so subtle and quick. Tensing up can be just about invisible - look at the very beginning of what she doesn't like happening for a very slight head turn away - or just her eyes flicking away, and you can count that as being told once...if she just the in doesn't seem to want to move into the position for you and you have to nudge her slightly, you've been told twice...just because you don't see it, doesn't mean she's not telling you. If you have a little camcorder, you might let it run while you handle her for a while and then re reun the camcorder frame by frame to watch her "talk" to you. You'd be amazed at what we (all) miss on a regular basis...it's a testament to how truly tolerant they are.

Greg , wanted to check on you. How is your Bitemark ??? :):):)

It's a lot better..Was a little sore for a couple of days, but much better now. The bruising is gone, doesn't look like a lost a bar fight anymore. :lol

Greg

a very slight head turn away - or just her eyes flicking away, and you can count that as being told once...if she just the in doesn't seem to want to move into the position for you and you have to nudge her slightly, you've been told twice...

Really good description.