Sprained Foot?

So we took Rainy to the vet on Tuesday to get Xrays. She's been limping off and on since Aug, but we haven't been restricting her activity as long as she wasn't limping.

The vet saw the inflammation on the Xray and told us we had a sprained ligament in her foot. Put this huge spoon brace on her and it's not going so well... Rainy is in lots more pain with the brace than she was just walking on her sprained foot! I want the brace off.. I think...

The soonest I can get her to the vet is Saturday. She's had the brace on since Tuesday night and isn;t walking any better with it. She just gets worse and worse. Should I just take it off now? Is there a homemade soft brace I can make with an ace bandage? The vet wanted us to change/check brace in 10 days and more Xrays in another 10 days. How mad will they be if I just take the brace off and go get Xrays in 20 days? :blush

Please someone tell me what to do! My gut says to take it off, but then my brain second guesses myself

------

Jessica

Thanks! Pricey though! :eek Someone just found me this link http://www.kvsupply.com/browse/Home/Pet/Dog/First-Aid-Medical-Equipment/Other-Medical-Supplies/Sam-Splint-36-x-425/D/30100/P/1:1:100:200:10000:11200:11204/I/80210

I just took all vet vet wrap/guaze off and she has bloody sore spots and her knee is swollen and all her toes too. I feel like such a bad mommy.... :weep

------

Jessica

Not your fault. That happens a lot with splints, tho rarely that fast. Glad you took it off. Might ask your vet to show you where the ligament is and go over how her foot should be supported while it heals. Then you might be able to make a supportive soft wrap of just vetwrap and roll cotton. I will also say, rest and antiinflammatories (if she can tolerate these meds) are the best treatment for these types of injuries. Walking for potty and briefly strolling around to check pee-mail are OK; running is not OK; depending on the injury, may also want to limit stairs, running around the house, etc. as best you can. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GryffinSong

Gryffin wore a spoon brace for a week and a half or so after dislocating a toe. It rubbed on him too, and the vet removed it, wrapping him in a soft wrap. That lasted a day and a half until Gryff pulled it off. But the toe is still in place, so we haven't re-wrapped.

I don't know what to tell you, but I sure don't care for those spoon splints!

Hugs and good luck!!!

All I can tell you is that when one of my greyhounds had partially ruptured tendons behind his wrist, the very experienced greyhound vet we saw didn't advise wrapping it at all. The only "treatment" he advised was to keep him on a lead, even in the garden, for 6 months and to gently massage the area once a day to improve the blood flow to the area. It certainly worked, and the tendon healed up fine with no further problems.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting