Hello, Potential Adopter Looking For Advice

Guest NJgrey

Congratulation !!

Like most people said, most adoption group have a list of sitter. We do quite a bit of "greysitting" and it's always fun to have a extra hound or two in the house !!

Guest windycove

Congratulations on adopting a Grey! They are the BEST ever, just like most Grey people.

Just another thought. Are you driving to KY? Greyhounds live in KY too. There might be a Grey Family in the town you are going to who would be happy to have a new Grey friend for their Grey and have a playdate or sleepover while you doing wedding things. A lot of hotels allow dogs. Just be sure you find someone who is or has been owned by a Grey. We become very aware of open doors and gates and know the things Greys do.

And if you decide to travel with your Grey,I know you will read up on all of that. GT is a greyt place for info.

I second the suggestion of telling your Grey what is going on. My girls both understood what they were told - I only wish I could have understood Greyhound as well as they understood me!

Time for an update:

Went to our group's adoption day yesterday and filled out the paperwork for a little red fawn girl named Cinderelly. We'll be picking her up this Saturday :wub: Felt so bad we had to leave her but we can't wait to get her home!

Guest FrostyBottoms

Time for an update:

Went to our group's adoption day yesterday and filled out the paperwork for a little red fawn girl named Cinderelly. We'll be picking her up this Saturday wub.gif Felt so bad we had to leave her but we can't wait to get her home!

Congratulations!!!!

I'm in Howell, NJ and could also doggie sit. My dogs love having other dogs sleep over. Another option...Do you have a vet? My vet does boarding for his clients. Maybe your vet can suggest someone to come to your home.

I got my dogs through GFNJ. They have several people who dog sit. I keep looking at all those babies on their website...thinking of adding a female soon. Good luck! Keep us posted.

YAY!! COngrats! I was looking at her on the GFNJ site yesterday!! So glad to know who is taking her home!!

Yup, she's our girl now. :) Can't wait to pick her up and get her onto a comfy bed.

My fiancee hit it off with her right away. She was friendly, said hello to everyone, didn't seem put off by all the hustle and bustle of the adoption day (the dog, that is... ). Just a nice, calm, friendly girl. When I was filling out the adoption paperwork my fiancee was crouching down and petting her and Cinderelly leaned in and gave her a big hug. :wub: Can't wait to see her personality come out more! We forgot to take pics while there but here is her adoption page:

http://www.greyhoundfriendsnj.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=2197875

BTW, BluMommy - I think we saw Shuffle there early on. Was that him? Was he going anywhere special? ;)

Guest BluMommy

YAY!! COngrats! I was looking at her on the GFNJ site yesterday!! So glad to know who is taking her home!!

Yup, she's our girl now. :) Can't wait to pick her up and get her onto a comfy bed.

My fiancee hit it off with her right away. She was friendly, said hello to everyone, didn't seem put off by all the hustle and bustle of the adoption day (the dog, that is... ). Just a nice, calm, friendly girl. When I was filling out the adoption paperwork my fiancee was crouching down and petting her and Cinderelly leaned in and gave her a big hug. :wub: Can't wait to see her personality come out more! We forgot to take pics while there but here is her adoption page:

http://www.greyhoundfriendsnj.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=2197875

BTW, BluMommy - I think we saw Shuffle there early on. Was that him? Was he going anywhere special? ;)

Yup, that WAS Shuffle!!! He went to his forever home on Sunday!! I am so happy for him!! He lives with 4 other Greys and 5 cats!! I miss him, but am glad he found a GREYT forever home!!

Guest bluefawn
:yay Congratulations on TWO things: 1) doing your homework, and 2) adopting a greyhound! YAY! Wishing you the best of luck, and I am so glad you have this greyt forum of people here for you for support and advice. The best place you could be! Looking forward to more pics and updates!! Gentle Hugs from NC :colgate:confetti

Guest NJgrey

Well, having had Ellie for 5-6 days now, here's what I have learned - there is no amount of reading or preparation that can truly prepare you for having a new dog in the house. :eek

She's a very sweet girl - she sleeps well at night, she gives little kisses, she's learning the "wait" command for going through the baby gate and for meals, and learning to do "touch" for a treat, she likes her crate, she almost roached once and we've already seen some ETS.

We're also dealing with alone anxiety with her. Wrote more about this in another thread, but she's been crying while left home alone. She's in the crate and hasn't soiled it, destroyed anything in there or chewed the bars trying to get out, so she obviously doesn't mind being in there. It's just learning how to be alone right now. Our neighbors in the townhouse below wrote us a letter letting us know she was crying during the day. Said they don't mind, they just feel bad and offered to help. She's actually an animal behaviorist, so we lucked out there. Yesterday was her first day alone (besides the alone training we did since Sunday) - I stopped home for lunch to give her a quick walk and potty break. Saw our neighbor this morning and she said that while she was crying in the morning for a pretty long while, she didn't hear her much or at all in the afternoon. Not getting my hopes up though, we've still got a lot of work to do.

Is it normal for them to cry and whine during these first few days/ weeks when left alone? Does getting into a routine usually help the situation?

Thanks for for any support/ advice, my emotions have been all over the place this past week!

Guest Harry702

Is it normal for them to cry and whine during these first few days/ weeks when left alone? Does getting into a routine usually help the situation?

Extremely normal. It's likely that this is the first time in her life that she's ever been completely alone. Can you imagine spending your entire life surrounded by other people/dogs, and suddenly you're left alone?

Unless her anxiety increases (escalates to loud barking, crying... soils her crate... tries to escape crate... destroys bedding...etc.), time is usually the best treatment. In the meantime, you can work on alone training (Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies has a great section on how to do this). Possibly the most important thing to keep in mind is not to make a fuss over her behavior... don't make a fuss over coming and going either. Walk into the house and wait until she's calm to greet her calmly... leave the house without paying her too much attention (toss her a Kong before you leave... before long, she'll start to associate your exit with "Yay! Yummy treat!"). A routine will help, too.

Honestly, it sounds like she adjusting well. As I said before, crying is very typical for the first few days/weeks in a new home. If that's as big a challenge as she presents to you, you're doing great!