Hello, Potential Adopter Looking For Advice

Guest NJgrey

Hi everyone! Just as a bit of background, I first discovered greyhounds in Jan. 2005 and have wanted to adopt ever since. I've read all the standard books, read the forums since then, followed the local adoption websites, seen dogs come and go, gone to meet and greets etc. The timing and personal situation was never quite right to go ahead with it though.

My fiancee and I think we're finally ready to go ahead and make the leap, and we're looking at end of February as a good time to hopefully adopt our first retired racer. My only concern is that at the end of May - Memorial day weekend to be exact - we're scheduled to travel to Kentucky for a friend's wedding. We'd be gone for four days.

My worry is that 3 months isn't enough time before leaving the dog for a long weekend. That it would place unneeded stress on the dog being put in a new environment, even for a relatively short time, after just being introduced to a forever home 3 months earlier.

So I'm just looking for opinions - is my concern unfounded? Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Is it a situation that's workable or would you wait?

Thanks!

Guest FrostyBottoms

I don't think that will be a problem at all! We adopted Vinny in July(2007) and in October of that year we went to HHI for 10 days. He was fine. If anything, it made him (and our other hound Frosty) realize how much they love us. Frosty was so happy to see us when we got home, she couldn't stop licking me for about 4 or 5 minute straight. She was all over me. She was never a licker before we left for Hilton Head. lol.gif Have fun at the wedding! Your new hound will be just fine.

Wow - sounds like you've really done a lot of background work :colgate Good for you.

It really does depend on the dog. You could adopt a confident greyhound who walks into your house and slips right into your routine as if s/he has always lived there. Or you could adopt a greyhound that needs more time to connect. But it's only a long weekend, so I don't think it will be a huge problem.

If it were me and I were REALLY concerned about it -- and this is just me :rolleyes: -- I would wait until after my trip. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it at all. You've waited more or less since 2005, so a couple more months aren't going to make a huge difference. But my first grey had separation anxiety (partly, I'm sure, due to being a bounce), so my feelings on the issue are very much influenced by my experience.

I bet your dog will be fine and dandy. ;)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest vezzerina

I absolutely agree with Frostybottoms. I have to admit, when I first adopted Lyca in September we went away for a wedding (darn weddings) about a month later! We left Lyca in the loving care of Michelle who runs the greyhound adoption center here in South Florida, which obviously made it a little easier on our consciences. But the way Michelle put it, she's much rather have the retired dog adopted than waiting in a kennel for you for months... Don't wait!

And congratulations! Your sweet new pup will be an excellent addition to your home!

Edited by vezzerina

Would your adoption kennel board your greyhound while you were in Kentucky? At least that would be a familiar place.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest mirthlesstroll

Also, ask around with the group you adopt from - someone in your group may have a greysitting business, or will be willing to sit your dog in exchange for you sitting theirs in the future. Our group has both a person with a sitting business, and a thriving sitting trade.

Guest Greyglo

:wave from this part of Jersey!

Some adoption groups have a list of members who are dogsitters. The dog would have Greyhound friends around, the owner would be Grey-savvy and the dog would be in a home. Just a thought.

Congratulations on your decision to adopt! The only thing better than admiring them is living with them. They're really quite something. Best wishes!

Welcome from NY. My adoption group is in NJ. They board greyhounds and there are many who will sit for your grey while you are away as well.

I think it's greyt that you did your reading ahead of time.

Go for it!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Swifthounds

I would look into adoption kennels that might board or ask around if any greyhound adopters in your area could dogsit for you. Absent that, you could look into having the hound stay at home and have a dogsitter care for him - with the advantage that you could have the dogsitter do a "test sit" in advance of your trip.

Guest 4greytful

This may sound silly to some, but just be sure to tell your new grey, that you will be returning. They understand a lot more than you think. good luck, and welcome to to the wonderful world of greyhounds!

Wow, thanks so much for the replies. Glad to hear it wouldn't be the worst thing to do to a new pup.

I very much considered looking for someone to dog sit through the adoption group but I didn't know if that would be a burden to someone or if it'd be looked down upon by the group, or how common it is.

Once again, thanks for chiming in :)

Guest hanksmom

Wow, thanks so much for the replies. Glad to hear it wouldn't be the worst thing to do to a new pup.

I very much considered looking for someone to dog sit through the adoption group but I didn't know if that would be a burden to someone or if it'd be looked down upon by the group, or how common it is.

Our NJ group has a lot of people who are willing to grey sit. Where do you live?

Guest Harry702

We adopted Harry (a more shy, reserved male) in April and had to leave for a funeral in June. He was completely fine. Most greys are remarkably adaptable and resilient, and boarding your new dog with other greys (either in a home or a kennel) is always a good recommendation. They tend to feel more comfortable with other greyhounds around.

I think it's great that you're really thinking this through, and you should absolutely make the decision that is best for your family. One thing to consider, however, is that a recent rash of track closings all over the country has left quite a few dogs without homes... I know many adoption groups all over the country are doing their best to absorb this wave of retired racers. Good homes are needed right away. Just something to consider.

Welcome to GT, and welcome to greyhounds. They are wonderful animals, and I can't imagine my life without one now. :wub:

Hi and welcome from Gainesville, Florida!! :welcome2

You sound like a wonderful greyhound-parent-to-be!!

Your grey would be fine. As Katie posted above, they are remarkably resilient, and even more so if you were able to board him with other greys. We board our two from time to time and they love going to the boarding kennel! They pull furiously on their leashes as we're walking up to the main office to check them in because they can't wait to get there.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

It would not be looked down upon at all and it is very very common.

There is a GH group in NJ with a kennel for boarding or you can have someone watch him/ her in their home with their greys.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GryffinSong

You can discuss this concern with the adoption group and they can help you choose a greyhound who will be confident enough not to panic at the thought of you leaving. I think most groups help first-timers to find easy-going dogs anyway, but it can't hurt to express concern. A greyhound with separation anxiety can be harder to manage, especially when you're new to the breed. My Gryffin bonded so quickly with us that he felt totally at home almost immediately.

Hugs for adopting, and best of luck finding your greyhound buddy!!!

We're in West New York in Hudson county. We've gone to meet and greets run by Greyhound Friends NJ so we're comfortable going through them. We check their website pretty often but haven't picked out any dog in particular. We're looking at adopting towards the end of February because that's when both the fiancee and I can get some time off - trying to have a five day period where we can work on bonding, alone training etc.

Again, thanks so much for the helpful and positive responses, I feel much better about adopting sooner than later now. Glad to hear it's not uncommon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BluMommy

Hi and welcome!

I live in South Plainfield, NJ and volunteer for GFNJ. I have a great foster boy right now!

I just wanted to say that I would be happy to Greysit for you if needed!

Welcome!! I got my boy oct 6 2008. The weekend of oct 17 2008, I had to go out of town. My adoption group knew about it and we decided that as long as I found a pet sitter to stay at my house that weekend then it was OK to adopt. A vet tech at my vet's office who does sleep over pet sitting was able to do it. I was very nervous because my boy was about an inch away from being a spook and we had already made some progress. Not only was there no setback, he made some progress while I was gone.

I actually also went to India over that Thanksgiving and he stayed part of the time with my friend that lived down the hall from me (apt living) and the other part with my parents. He already knew my friends and parents well and was comfortable in both places. He developed major crate anxiety at my parents, but still loved staying with them. Thinking back, he had already started to show signs of crate anxiety before I left, so it's not because I left.

This was a crazy set up for us, but it worked. Once you get your pup, you will know what the best option is for him. I think you are going to be great parents. Good luck.

Guest dramaqueen

Hi from Elmwood Park NJ Congrats on deciding on a greyhound. That's the best decision--- Lot of Love coming your way soon. the adoption groups in NJ will kennel your dog or there are a lot of NJ grey owners who are willing to babysit sor you. Don''t let that stop you from adopting at the end of the month. Let us know how you make out.

Guest greytmiles

Hi and welcome!

I live in South Plainfield, NJ and volunteer for GFNJ. I have a great foster boy right now!

Hi from across the county border in Plainfield!! :wave I actually grew up in SP... small world!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was just so surprised!

Erin

Guest BluMommy

Hi and welcome!

Hi from across the county border in Plainfield!! :wave I actually grew up in SP... small world!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was just so surprised!

Erin

Hi!! Super Cool that you are SO close!!!

Hey, thanks for the continued responses. We just put in our application last night. :eek Guess it'll be a few days before we hear back from someone...

YAY!! Good Luck!!