They Aren't Snow Flakes

Guest tbrodzel

Guest tbrodzel

Anyone else dealt with dry skin? My new grey has dry skin issues. I took her to the groomer the other day who used some oatmeal shampoo on her, but she is still really flaky all over. Is there anything I can do to help her skin? She is originally from Florida and this is her first Wisconsin winter. Brynna eats Canadae (sp?) dog food. We have a humidifier, but it isn't on 24/7. I have a furminator comb that I use to manage her shedding and some grooming gloves that I use to give her a nice brush down. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing a step? Can I put some vitamin e or fish oil in her food or something?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Whenever I mess too much with Laika's fur (she's solid black to its easy to see) she flakes. Too much brushing, too much bathing, etc. In fact EVERY time I bathe her she gets the flakes. Also helps to add fish oil (I like Grizzly Salmon Oil) but you can just give her the gelcaps, she'll probably think they're treats.

Guest sja5032

I have the small problem with my parent's grey, Ike. Some vet tech actually told them he had fleas lol, I assure you there was not a single flea on him, just really bad dandruff. I got this medicated shampoo at petco for dry flakey skin and it helped instantly, I wouldn't bathe frequently though I just did it to get rid of the "fleas". I also had them start him on fish oil, any type works really.

Fish Oil capsules here, I give 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m. 1000 mg. each. It not only helps the dandruff but it's great for their heart.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Lovemyhound

My black boy foster had some pretty impressive dandruff when he came off the haul. I've been giving him fish oil gel caps for about a month now and have seen drastic improvement! He had some bald spots along his spine which have completely filled in. I don't give as much as mentioned earlier, I'm only giving 1-2 1000mg caps daily, but it has worked wonders for him!

Good luck!

Guest johnandheidi

We have the same problem with one of our greyhounds. Jeff has super-dandruff while Walter has none. We thought it might be a dietary issue. But, the food they eat is loaded with omega 3s, Holistic Select fish medley. Bathing seems to help, but only for a few days, and then the dandruff returns. Sometimes I put lotion on him. It helps if you do it every day, but it won't completely get rid of the dandruff. I was thinking that it might be related to his body type: he is of the hairless bum and belly variety, while Walter is furry everywhere with downy, soft fur.

We've grown to live with it. After much trial and tribulation with getting good poo, dandruff is far down on the list!

Guest Energy11

Lots of "snow" here, epecially after the greykids wearing their fleece coats for three days, during the real cold weather. I groomed them with our mitt, and sprayed on our conditioning coat spray. The also get "The Furminator" supplement in their food twice daily. I know MY own hair is been unruly (fine, thin, hair) during all the cold weather and forced heating. Here is the coat spray we use, and it comes in a lot of scents! We love it! Earthbath Spray, either the lavendar or the mango-tango, is GREYT! http://www.healthypets.com/earthbath1.html

Good Luck!

I should clarify that I didn't start out at 4,000 mg. I started out 1,000 mg. at a time because if you start out at the higher dose, some dogs will get runny pooh. I start out at 1,000 and check to make sure we have no runny pooh and add 1,000 mg. at a time until we reached 4,000.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest RocketDog

We do a fish/flax/borage oil pill (3 per day per dog) and I swear by a leave-in coat spray made by Miracle Coat. My boy Rocket has flakies, and our black foster does too, and this coat spray does wonders to shine 'em up and get the flakies out. I carry a bottle with me in my meet&greet bag, along with a tacky curry-comb style grooming mitt and a chamois cloth. I spray the dog down, concentrating on the areas where they flake the most (for my dogs I notice flakes at the neck, 'brisket' and hips) and work it in with the mitt, then rub them down with the chamois to finish things off. Their coats GLEAM afterwards and as an added bonus they are extra soft and smell pleasant!

Guest tbrodzel

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dumb question. Do I just give Brynna the fish oil caps or do I open it up and put it on her food?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I do the same thing as JillysFullHouse (love the name and the pack, btw!). They eat it right up, along with the melatonin (thanks all, started that now too!) and the other stuff. I do bathe and brush frequently, and I also live somewhere where heat is pretty much not needed. So I don't have the issue of that drying them out either. I condition them when I bathe them, too.

Sobe, my black grey, is my dandruff boy. It's not bad in summer, but in winter - there's "snow" inside! :lol

So - we use a humidifier (our DD also gets too "dry" in the winter - coal stove), brush him twice a week. Don't bathe. OK - if he were to go roll in something gross - I would bathe him - but I wouldn't bathe him if he didn't NEED it!.

Also - he gets 1 fishoil in the morning food, and one in the evening food. Throughout the spring through Autumn, 1 per day. If he gets really bad, I'll go up to double that - but - ease into it. You can't start out with 4 per day - or you'll get Big D. Ramp up to it.

Also - no matter what - if Sobe gets stressed out - he'll blow dandruff like he's a snow-maker at a ski resort! He also starts dropping hair like a maniac dog that's never seen a brush! :eek He can be looking gorgeous here - but if I take him to the vet - by the time he's in the exam room - he looks like a flaky gross shedding mess!!!!! :( Nothing to to about that. :blush Some dogs just do that. Especially black greys, in my experience - not all black greys though - just some.

ETA: If your grey is new - don't assume that she has skin issues. Dandruff is often a sign of stress - like with my Sobe. Not that she's unhappy - but she's dealing with a lot of changes, so don't jump to any conclusions right away. Wait a month or so - then see. In the meantime, brushing and fishoil can't hurt anything! :) But, once she settles, you may never see dandruff again.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest RocketDog

Sobesmom raises a good point - Rocket has a little dandruff now, but when we first brought him home his dandruff came off in chunks, not flakes. He had horrible flystrike welts all over his exposed skin, too. Most of his issues resolved after a few weeks of cooshy retirement living, although he does seem to flake up more whenever he's really excited or stressed. He also sheds a bit, and since he's black and white the hair shows up on everything it lands on, but it's not too bad most of the time.

my late gal emily had really bad winter dandruff until she was on fish oil and it takes at least 6 weeks for results. she was 60lbs and i used to give her 4 squirts, (lakse cronche brand)- the same ammount my 78lb male got. yes, the dandruff does pop up in when they are nervous, a wipedown w/ a damp paper towel or rag will give you short term relief. but it does take a while for the goods to start working.canidae is a good food, with enough fat and protein content, so stick w/ it and let the fish oil do it's job.

i had tried olive oil, bacon fat, nupro suppliment, sardines(not a bad additive to the food and if they are on sale- cheap) and just about anything out there. keep on brushing w/ a soft bristle brush to bring up the oils, wipe off the excess dandruff and wait. it will disappear...and oh, yes...when they are about to blow coat it gets worse. when she was on eagle pack sardine and anchovie food her coat and skin were glorious...but the by products...gas was enough to clear a room in 5 seconds flat!

Frisby had super soft fur and skin, but as soon as he starts wearing his coat in the winter he gets dandruff. I think it is just the coat rubbing when he runs, which he does constantly in the snow. I have tried fish oil, but as soon as the coat goes on we get dandruff even with the fish oil.