Dr. Couto

Guest wholovesskunks

Guest wholovesskunks

I wasn't orginally going to contact Dr. Couto but I can't sit back and do nothing. So, I am getting by digital x-rays tomorrow morning and will contact them. I have a couple questions though, even after looking at the website.

Do I call first then email?

Will they look at his x-rays and pertinent information for free?

Does my vet have to send the info or can I?

How long does it usually take before he responds?

Will he call me or does he typically email?

Even if I'm in Florida, will sending the x-rays and labs be enough?

Any other tips or hints you can give me about what he will need or what I should do before sending?

Thank you all lfor all your support. I hate sitting back and being so helpless especially knowing he can't undergo amp or chemo. Its just not fair but that's how life is I guess.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I want to have all my ducks in a row before I contact Dr. Couto so we can move quickly.

Thanks again for all your support!

Krista

Mom to Lenny- 10 years old, diagnosed with bone cancer 1 week ago.

I contacted Dr. Couto a couple of years ago after Loca was diagnosed with chondrosarcoma. All contact was via email (he replied to my initial email within hours). My vet sent him Loca's x-rays, but I'll bet you could do it, also. His team definitely looked at them as they discovered that Loca was misdiagnosed and what the local radiologist interpreted as bone cancer was actually normal lung super-imposed on her collar bone. Incredibly, his consultations were free of charge.

If he needs any further info from you, he'll tell you. He'll let you know exactly what you need to do. Loca's info was sent from Canada and it wasn't an issue.

Please do contact him. He's an absolutely incredible person and will really help a lot. Even if it Lenny's diagnosis was accurate, once you've received consultation from Dr. Couto, you'll have no reason to ever doubt the diagnosis or your future decisions.

good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I know exactly how you feel and I hope I can give you just a little help since I spent the day at OSU today. Initially after our diagnosis, I emailed Dr. Couto and attached the x-rays. He did confirm the diagnosis via email and because we live in state, said he'd be happy to see us. I know that's not an option for you, so I would not hesitate to contact him and see about a phone consult. I don't know the protocol for that, but I do know after meeting with him today that he can give you very valuable information that you may or may not get from your vet. We found out (as we suspected) that the pain meds we were prescribed do not work well with greyhounds. Dr. Couto can help you get a plan together be it pain mgmt, etc.. He is just wonderful. He is very kind and compassionate and very, very knowledgable about greyhounds. Again, we are lucky enough to live close enough to see him, but I know that many GTers have had phone consults to get info. b/c the logistics of a visit were not viable. I think getting in contact would if nothing else, give you some good solid information to start your decision making process. He will respond via email to you and again, you'd have to ask the protocol for a phone consult and at that time you can ask what you need to send him.

I'm so sorry that you too are going through this. It's so, so hard. Know that someone else is walking this with you and sending you so many hugs and prayers.

Guest ThreeGreys

Hi Krista, I'm sorry for what you are going through. My girl Cheer was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in her lower jaw back in May. I communicated with Dr. Cuoto via email and spoke once with one of the other drs' via telephone. He did consulting withh my local vet and my vet also sent him information. I ended up going to Cornell University Hospital for Animals, Oncology Service for radiation and chemo since it was only 2 hours from home verses 9 hours. You might want to consult with Cornell Oncology service also they were spectacular in their care. Dr. Sandra Barnard was absolutely wonderful and she will actually be going to work in oncology with Dr. Cuoto this July.

Good luck you are in my thoughts.

John

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

No advice about him, but he sounds wonderful.

Also, you might look into taking him to the vet college in Gainsville since you're in Florida.

How much does something like an amputation and chemo generally run (in the less expensive, non-New England states)?

Guest VelvetEars

Even when my Jane had a stroke, Dr C consulted with the vets at Mizzou's Vet school where she was being treated. He's a wonderful man with the heart of an angel. I think a second opinion from The Master is always a good idea. Even if he confirms what you've already been told, then you can make decisions knowing you have exhausted every information source.

Krista, I'm so sorry you are going through this. You've been given some good information. I strongly recommend you contact Dr Couto. You'll get the information you need to make a sound, informed decision.

You can find information about the Greyhound Wellness Program at OSU by clicking the link to Hope for Hounds in the top line of my siggy. Please let me know if I can do anything to help. Normally I would say this in a PM, but since you can't use them yet I'll post it here. If you need someone to talk to, ask questions, or just plain rant let me know. I have unlimtted long distance and try to be supportive of any Mom with a hound who has cancer. You can reach me by email jshafferATcasualblingDOTcom (remove the AT etc and replace with symbols)

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest wholovesskunks

Thank you, FoxysMom, I really do appreciate it!

I just sent Dr. Couto the x-rays and case details. I so hope he can give me some good news for my boy. There are just too many of us on here right now with heart breaking stories and it just isn't fair.

Hopefully, Dr. Couto can get back to me semi-quickly. I can't imagine what he must see but the difference he makes in those he can help is tremendous!

I guess I always assumed it wouldn't happen to us and now here I am with our sweet pup and my 3 boys can't fothom Lenny not being here. It's all I can do to get thorough the day at this point but I know I have to be strong for him.

Thanks again!

Krista

Dr. Couto did tell us yesterday that he typically responds to emails in the very early a.m., so you may even have an email by now. He always responded to us within 24 hours. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.

Guest wholovesskunks

Dr. Couto did tell us yesterday that he typically responds to emails in the very early a.m., so you may even have an email by now. He always responded to us within 24 hours. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.

Nothing yet but I bet he's getting ready for Smiley's surgery today. I will be checking back all day to see how Smiley does! Prayers are with you!

Guest dwolfe711

I'm sorry to hear about Lenny - our Apollo 13.5yo was diagnosed last Wed. His cancer is in the bone above his left eye. It was confirmed by aspiration by our vet. But I decided to send an email to Dr. Couto this past Tuesday evening and asked him to look at Apollo's x-rays and lab work. I had a reply from him by 7am est Wed morning. My vet emailed x-rays this morning and I picked up some slides, a disk of the x-rays and his last lab workup to Fedex to Dr. Couto today. He has responded to each of the three emails I've sent him in the past 48 hours within a few hours of each. We have met Dr. Couto several times and spoken with him and heard him give presentations. We even did a special fundraiser for his fund in memory of our Duncan at fall Dewey a few years ago - we collected "pennies" which ended up being matched for a total of $1,000 - he was very happy for the support. He is a wonderful man and caring veterinarian. I know many grey owners here and on other boards and in person who have gone to OSU for consult or over the internet or phone. I do know that he is traveling from this Saturday to next Wednesday for a conference. I'm hoping he will be able to look at Apollo's info on Friday before he leaves. We wish you the best of luck with Lenny - prayers for Smiley right now, too!

Donna

Guest wholovesskunks

Thanks, Apollo's mom! So far no word back yet. But he was probably busy with Smiley today. :-)

I did call to verify I had the right email so I am hoping for a response soon.

I wonder though if he is coming to Florida for the North America Veterinary conference in Orlando. Its a big conference and I'll be there since I am the communications director for the Animal Behavior Network. That would be crazy if he were coming here!

Edited by wholovesskunks

Guest wholovesskunks

The email address I show for Dr. Couto is <couto.1@osu.edu>, is this correct or is there another email I should send my information to? I sent all my stuff last night but haven't heard back yet. Maybe he didn't receive it. I resent it again tonight to the address above. If I sent it to the wrong one, please let me know!

Thanks!

Krista

The email address I show for Dr. Couto is <couto.1@osu.edu>, is this correct or is there another email I should send my information to? I sent all my stuff last night but haven't heard back yet. Maybe he didn't receive it. I resent it again tonight to the address above. If I sent it to the wrong one, please let me know!

Thanks!

Krista

Yes, that is the right one for Dr Couto. You can also send directly to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program too, that way you make sure everone sees it. Use the link under my siggy, all the info is posted there.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I was at OSU all day today to provide support for Smiley's parents and Pearl's Mom. It was a crazy, busy day today. My guess is the Dr. Couto will email you tomorrow early morning. If you don't hear from him, here is the contact info I have.

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning. You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients.

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Guest wholovesskunks

Well, he responded but just to say he was busy and passing me on to his colleagues. I'm so very sad that his schedule doesn't give him time to consult with me on Lenny and that I will have to wait (and hope) that one of his colleagues can get back to me soon. :-(

His colleagues are also very competent. Remember, greyhounds are that they do. I understand your disappointment, but you remain in great hands. colgate.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.