Amputation For Smiley Tomorrow, Prayers Please!

Guest Smiley

We just got home from OSU. We left at 6ish this morning and spent the entire day doing consults, tests and more consults. We were adamant when we left this morning that we would NOT amputate. Well that was before Dr. Couto and his magic team got ahold of us. What a crazy, amazing, intense place! Dr. Couto met with us initially and he is just so kind and informative. After his exam, he felt Smiley's pain level was very high and that the possibility of a fracture great if we opted for just pain mgmt. So we said, okay, let the ortho guy at least have a look to see if he's a candidate for amp, just as an option. The news came back that while he's not ideal with his lumbar stenosis, the ortho felt he could still have a great quality of life as a tripod. So the next step was x-rays and we held our breath to see if they would be clear b/c now we are seriously starting to change our minds. The x-rays looked great. So after all of this and Dr. Couto reassuring us that the recovery time was not what we had feared and also the fact that he would be immediately pain-free, we opted to do the surgery. We've second guessed ourselves of course, but are starting to find some peace. We had to leave him there overnight (this killed me) for surgery tomorrow, but at least we are getting this going.

To show what a kind, wonderful team they have, the vet intern called us on the way home to say that she had tucked Smiley in with the Piglet blanket we left there and that all was well. I cried today as much from worry as the kindness we were shown. Everyone was wonderful. We didn't feel rushed or hurried and even the surgeon spent a good deal of time with us. I am blown away. Just blown away.

So now we get through tomorrow with lots of prayers and hope that this journey will be peaceful for all of us. We'll go down to OSU again tomorrow to wait in the waiting room during the surgery even though we won't get to see Smiley. I just want to be there. We are exhausted, hopeful and worried all at once.

Any prayers for my special Smiley would be so very appreciated. He is my heart dog and I hope that we are giving him a chance at some more quality, happy time with us.

Edited by Smiley

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending tons of prayers your and Smiley's way. He is in the best possible hands. It will likely be rough going the first week or two, but trust me, your boy will be back and happy again. I hope you will have tons of quality time together.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Lots of prayers for Smiley. May his surgery be easy and recovery be quick.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest wholovesskunks

I am SO happy they were so good to you. Dr. Couto and his team seem wonderful. I just decided tonight that I am going to see if he can help us. We may be far away but I am sending the x-rays to see if there is anything we can do to save our boy.

My fingers will be crossed that everything goes well! Prayers will certainly be in my heart for you and yours!

Krista

Guest bigbrindlebunny

You have all our prayers. I've also heard that amputation for a dog is not like it is for a person, it's a MUCH faster recovery. It scares the hell out of us, but they're supposed to feel a lot better.

Thank you for telling us about your experience with Dr Cuoto. It's a reminder that we all need to keep funding this important program and good people at OSU.

Lots and lots of prayers for a successful surgery, a smooth recovery, and many many "hoppy" years together. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest mcsheltie

I am so glad things went well today. I am praying for Smiley too. And I hope that the surgery and recovery go just as well. Send us an update as soon as you can!

Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers for Smiley. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest eaglflyt

I've got Smiley in my prayers ... and I'm praying for you and your husband, too. I would do the same if it were our Ady Bea and her chest x-ray was clear. I hope tomorrow goes smoothly and that Smiley recovers quickly and has years ahead to be with you. :getwell:hope

All of the positive thoughts I can find are coming your way. I know that Smiley will come through this beautifully and will feel better. Can't wait to see his smiling face!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest bigorangedog

Beth - I posted on FB too. We will be thinking of you and your boy all day. Please let us know how it goes. Let me know if there is anything I can do!!! :bighug