Could This Be A Dental Issue?

Guest JENWIT2NS

Guest JENWIT2NS

Hi, first Post in years. Good to be back.

I have a question: My 9 Year Old Sophie, has started something weird. We are blessed with her 4 years now and Had not the best Teeth. She has had to have a dental in the past 2 years. But now, When she closes her mouth, she Chatters her teeth. (Loud though, not quiverish) Alwasy when she lays down. I looked further in her mouth. I found a red spot (in the shape of a small leech, (not a real one) .... When I approached my partner and said this. She said, yeah she gets that sometimes. But we are left in wonderment. She is eating fine, nothing out of the normal other than she yawns a lot more. (Maybe that I am looking)

I figured we go to the vet and ask. But we are just wondering if this is a sign of a autoimmune issue or just a blood blister. Maybe the treats scratched it. Or maybe its gum disease. Any thoughts on this?

Jen

Guest fargosmom

If she has a dental infection the bacteria could have spread to her tonsil, causing it to swell - that could be the red thing you're seeing. I'd definitely have your vet check her out thoroughly - if she's got dental problems they can really affect her overall health.

Best wishes! (and welcome back)

In case you didn't know, some greyhounds chatter their teeth and it means nothing bad. I would have expected her to do this her whole life though. I would definitely get her checked out but it could just be a "weird greyhound thing".

As to the red spot, I really have no answers there.

p.s. my hound Joe chatters his teeth whenever he is happy or excited. He is quite loud about it.

If you're seeing a raised red lump in her mouth, time for a vet visit. It could be all kinds of things, from a simple epulis, to infection, abscess, ulcer, injury, foreign body, or a type of cancer. Depending on the position, it could be a blocked or infected salivary gland or ranula. Hopefully, it's something simple and can be easily fixed. But if you're seeing a red place and she's just started shivering her jaw, I'd definitely get it looked at.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Best to have the vet take a look. I remember when Tanner would eat, every time he got a mouthful, he would shake his head. Sure enough, he had 2 bad teeth

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless