Osteosarcoma In Dogs

Guest angel

Guest bigorangedog

My Whitey is only 4 months post-op, but his lungs were clear 2 weeks ago on his latest x-rays. We had an "issue" with his chemo (long story short, a couple numbers were switched around and he got his first 5 chemo treatments at half-dose), so he's only had two full-dose chemo treatments of doxorubicin. But so far side effects are not awful. 1st round he missed half a meal. This round, ate half-meals for the first couple days. But Whitey is actually at his highest weight since we adopted him (2 weeks before his Dx). He is happy and healthy and bossy and mouthy and perky and great. He chases the 2-yr-old adoptables in the yard. He's a little fighter and I hope we have a lot of time with him.

Our other boy Apollo is 6-weeks post amp. His mobility was good right off the bat - never needed the assistance harness after about the 2nd day. But his healing was rougher, and in fact he had to have his surgery site reopened and debrided yesterday instead of having his 2nd chemo, because of a persistent infection. (It was a 20-min procedure and they did it while I waited for Whitey to do his chemo, so not a huge deal.) He seems to feel better already, and should be able to continue his chemos in 2 weeks. We caught his OS quite early, so we can only hope that we got it all.

After doing this twice since November, I know I would do it again. It was a rough first couple weeks especially with White, but both are getting around fine on 3. Apollo gives huge tail wags to go in the car and once I put that leash on him I have to jog to keep up with him to the car.

Here's an article about several long-term osteosarcoma survivors. It's called Dogs of Hope: Long-term Osteosarcoma Survivors. Fifty one months was the longest when the story was written in 2004. There must be more success stories by now. May Jamey be like one of them. :goodlucklinky

I've never seen that article before - I've saved it to my favourites to read in full later :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'd love to continue the article and record more success stories, so if anyone would like to share them with the world and me please PM me and I'll just keep adding to the article. :)