New To Having Two

Guest alphiesdad

Guest SaddleWags

I agree, definitely muzzle them in the car. I like to boast that both my pups ride in the back of my Honda Civic. They've earned my trust, and really never wear muzzles any more. But they definitely were at the beginning.

Guest isntitgreyt

I always use muzzles no matter what. That $12 muzzle will save you lots of $$$$ at the E-vet if things don't go as planned. Better safe than sorry!

If you have to ask - there's a worry there - and you should muzzle in the car. It's close confines, so prime opportunity to muzzle. A dog that hasn't been muzzled while in your house, will deal with it just fine. He knows what a muzzle is. Spread a little peanut butter on the inside of both dogs' muzzles and make it a treat! Make sure they lick it off before you get into the car.

Better safe than sorry.

That said, after the first few trips when I had 2 greys, I never muzzled them. They got along very well, and were very comfortable in the car. I don't believe that all greys have to be muzzled at all times in a car. But- if you have concerns - why NOT muzzle? Easy, cheap peace of mind. It doen't have to be a lifetime decision, just what is right for right now.

I would muzzle them both. We have a rule for our SUV, any more than 1 dog. Everyone gets to wear a muzzle. The last thing I need is a fight in the back of the truck!

Ditto This is my rule also :nod :nod

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest 4dogscrazy

Always muzzle in the car! Close quarters like that could start a fight between the best of friends. And I started muzzling my lab mix at the rip ol age of 7, when I got the houndies. Before we had hounds, she had never even seen a muzzle in her life! She is fine, and I didn't even de-sensitize her to it with treat training or anything, I just plain didn't know how to do that at the time! She's not fond of the muzzle, but they are all muzzled in the yard, including her! The rule is: muzzle one, muzzle all.

I would wreck my car for sure if a fight broke out between two (or three or four) of my dogs. The sound of a dog fight is so frightening, even though it is usually MUCH louder than the damage would warrent. They can really scream at each other when they are mad! And of course do some serious damage in a few seconds. Two of mine had a big battle in the house one day, and I'll admit I peed my pants screaming at them to get them to stop. (go ahead laugh, it IS funny now!) It looked like a really bad fight, but the lab has thick skin and a healthy undercoat, I'm conviced that's what kept the fight from being a blood bath. If it would have been two hounds? Shudder to think...as one hound was on top of the lab with both feet. It happened so fast and I still hear the sound echoing through my head, even though it was a few months ago. Never saw or heard a dog fight like that before, and will not forget it any time soon.

Ignorance is bliss, and I didn't use muzzles much when I first got them, but time has taught me that the one time you don't muzzle, murphy's law slides right in there and ruins your whole day!