New To Having Two

Guest alphiesdad

Guest alphiesdad

This is a subsequent post to an earlier one from today (Will they ever cuddle).

Within the next day or two Alphie (our older male) and Cheeky (our new girl) will be tanking their first ride together.

Alphie has never been muzzled (at any time) since he's been with us.

Should I muzzle them when I take them out in the s.u.v.?

Cheeky has only been with us for three weeks, and for a lack of a better word they "tolerate" each other.

Does being in a car together bring out aggression, or will they be so preoccupied with the scenery outside that it

won't matter.

The reason I am asking is because I don't know how Alphie will react to a muzzle having hardly ever worn one.

He was only on the track for 7 months before having a career ending injury and being offered for adoption.

Thank you for any help.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Personally, if this is the first time the 2 of them have been together in a car, I would muzzle both. I have done it when I had new dogs. At least you will find out if they have issues or not and noone will be hurt.

Guest 3greysinPA

I would put the muzzles on in the car, just to be on the safe side. That way No one gets hurt and everyone stays safe including you while driving.

I've never muzzled mine in the car, but if yours barely tolerate each other it might be safer till you see how they are with riding in a confined space together. The last thing you need is to have an accident because someone stepped on someone else and a fight broke out.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I would muzzle them both. We have a rule for our SUV, any more than 1 dog. Everyone gets to wear a muzzle. The last thing I need is a fight in the back of the truck!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest widowcali

Sometimes I think to myself what a lucky idiot I was. I adopted Widow, my second greyhound, only a year after adopting Cali and well before I discovered Greytalk. When I think about what could have happened....

I was incredibly lucky that Widow is so submissive and lets Cali take the lead in all things.

However, now that Brighid the Wonder Puppy has come along, I've had to learn a few things. Since Cali only mildly tolerates Bri, and Bri has yet to learn boundries, Cali get's muzzled when it's the two of them in a confined space. Cali hates the muzzle, as she has to wear one occasionally when we go to Greyhound get togethers. So usually the threat of the muzzle forces her to behave. Looking forward to my first really long car ride (Bri was still small enough to fit on my lap and preferred to ride there when we went to Kanab last year), I am re-thinking the muzzle thing. I may have to muzzle Cali when we go to Solvang next month.

All mine get along fine and we still muzzle in the car. You never know when one might get thrown against another going around a corner or get stepped on or want to look out the same window. Yes, your male may not like it. But some discomfort for him is better than a trip to the vet for a serious bite wound. Once you have a track record of knowing how they will react you can muzzle or not - but with knowledge on your side.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest lanielovesgreys

I would. Once Laika stepped on Sol on an unusually abrupt turn and he bit her. It was the only time, but he did. And you never know when a situation like that would happen. Better be safe than.... well a 2k vet bill.

until you know how your new dog is going to react in all situations, I would muzzle both just to be safe. I normally don't muzzle my dogs in the car. However the one exception was a pair of males that 'tolerated' each other at home and could be relied on to have a snark-fest in the car.

Guest Swifthounds

Personally, I muzzle anytime I have more than one hound in the vehicle. It's not so much that they are more "aggressive" in a car, but rather that the close quarters can mean what could be a yipe or a warning snarl turns into a nip or a gash - too many factors at play for my comfort. The movement of the car, potholes, sudden stops - any one of which can mean one dog catching a tooth on another. I don't risk it with hounds that have lived together for years (this particular version of my pack has been together over 1 years) and I would certainly be more cautious with two hounds just feeling one another out.

Even if one of your hounds only raced a short while he was certainly used to the muzzle long before hitting the track. He just needs a refresher course. IME, muzzling is more traumatic for adopters than for the dog.

Guest PhillyPups

I look at muzzles as a safety tool, just like my seatbelt. I never plan on getting into an accident, but always buckle up. I would hate to be passing another vehicle on a 4 lane highway and a fight break out cause one stepped on the other and not be able to pull over quickly, it could be a dogs life at stake, and if I muzzle one, I muzzle all.

They are used to muzzles, and don't forget. I recently drove mine straight through to Florida, all muzzled, as we arrived in the middle of the night, mine slept in a kennel that was set up for them that night. The first one into a crate was Zeus, much to my surprise, he has not been crated in over 7 years.

Edited by PhillyPups

I have two and I muzzle in the car. I started after they barked ferociously at one another one time. Nothing transpired, but now the muzzles give piece of mind more than anything else.

I muzzled for the first couple of weeks (riding frequently) just until we all knew how everyone was going to be in the car. Mine get along great and now we don't muzzle. Every once in awhile someone gets stepped on and there is a snap or shreik but no damage.

Just be very very carefull on corners, they get thrown off balance sooo easily.

Also, if you don't already have one, get a dog gate between the passengers and dogs, two heads poking or licking you is waaay more distarcting than one, I am thankfull for mine every day!

Yes, muzzle, especially since they're new to each other.

I have only just stopped muzzling my two in the car for short trips across town (5-10 minutes), because they have absolutely no space issues whatsoever and indeed they like to sleep on top of each other half the time :rolleyes: But I always bring muzzles with me so that I have them on hand if I need to use them.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Mine are very docile and get along well with one another, but I always muzzle in the car. One time Carl got his leash caught on his leg and he had a scary screaming bucking fit, he was alone in the car with me, but I shudder to think how it would have ended had Claire been in the back seat with him. I'd probably have to have driven straight to the e-vet. So, I muzzle both and make sure leashes are off.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest eaglflyt

I always muzzle all dogs if I have more than one in the car. This isn't breed specific, either. I surely don't want anyone getting upset and something triggering a fear bite or fight, especially when driving. You can always put a little peanut butter smeared on the inside of the muzzle to make it a more pleasant experience. ; )

Mine are very docile and get along well with one another, but I always muzzle in the car. One time Carl got his leash caught on his leg and he had a scary screaming bucking fit, he was alone in the car with me, but I shudder to think how it would have ended had Claire been in the back seat with him. I'd probably have to have driven straight to the e-vet. So, I muzzle both and make sure leashes are off.

Hmm. Good point. Maybe I'll start muzzling them again in the car even for short trips... After all, if someone steps on another's tail, it doesn't matter how well they get along... it could trigger an incident and it's not something I want to experience when I'm driving.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I agree with the muzzles. All it takes is for someone to scream because they're foots caught or something and you have a fight in the back of the car and you're trying to pull off the road to stop it before someone is badly hurt.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Personally, I never leave leashes on the dogs in the car for exactly that reason. Even when there's just one dog, but with two, it's even more likely someone will get tripped or tangled.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

we muzzle our two every time. Doesn't hurt them a bit and keeps the peace :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 2 months later...
Guest marreve22

"Should I muzzle them when I take them out in the s.u.v.?"

Up to this point I have put one in the front passenger seat with me, and the other one gets the whole back seat. They have had to share a couple times, in the back seat, if I actually have a passenger, and yes, tolerate each other is the best I will call it. They act like most sisters 'mom, she's touching me',,,'stop touching me'...

I am enjoying reading these posts, as I have been through a lot of these issues and thought it was just me. I have 2 girls and they certainly don't like each other, though during the 'meet and greet' at the rescue place, they acted just fine...of course. I am glad to know I am not the only one with these issues :) And am very grateful to have found this website :)