Feet Issues, Not A Corn

My poor Inu has had such a time with his feet. He does have a huge corn on his front left foot. I'm probably gonna remove the toe this summer. This post is actually about what is happening on his back left, which is not a corn.

The webbing and skin in between his two biggest toes has a flare up of a blister and infection every six months or so. I've seen pictures of other greys getting this but I forget the term used. One of the toes with this affected blister problem is always a good bit larger than any other toe. When he gets the blister flare ups we treat with cephalexin and iodine soaks. Thing is this time after the two weeks of treatment the obvious signs of infection seem to be gone but he's still holding that back leg funny. He walks like it's sensitive on the back and when he stands he seems to put all of his weight on the back right leg and use the left as a kick stand. I see nothing obvious except that the toe is still larger. His pads are fine and the wound in between is healed.

Any ideas?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Interdigital cyst is the term I think you were looking for. If the wound has healed but he's still bearing weight funny on that foot, I would consider an xray. :dunno

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I am no help, just :grouphug for you and :kiss2 for Inu

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is that Alabama rot? I don't know if that's the term you're looking for.

I hope you find an answer for the poor little guy.

Alabama Rot is, irrc, a severe form of e.coli infection that causes deep lesions in addition to fever, vomitting, diarrhea, etc. Inu definitely doesn't have that! :)

Colleen - have you guys ruled out any potential autoimmune cuprits? The reason I wonder is that often autoimmune disorders will attack skin that's a bit different (such as mucous membranes, skin along the nails and genitals, inner ear, etc). It's strange that it appears to be cyclical in nature...Have you guys x-rayed just to make sure there's nothing stuck in there or he doesn't have a bones spur?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yes interdigital cyst, thanks! I've been thinking since we've got great xrays of his front feet it's probably time for the back, sigh. And no I haven't thought autoimmune..hmmm like SLO, which Sasha is dealing with as we speak.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Colleen, I'm stumped too. It is really odd that it comes at intervals like that...can you think of ANYTHING (however small) that changes for Inu right before he gets the problem with his toes? Does he lick his feet a lot?

I would xray to rule anything else out (like bone spur)...when you say "between his two biggest toes" do you mean between his two middle toes?

If xray doesn't show anything, maybe do a skin scraping of that area and have it tested? :dunno I'm really at a loss. If it were SLO I'd think you'd see signs of it elsewhere too, not just localized to one foot. Pinky's nose gets all cracked and her ears get crusty and her toenails are really brittle. Not that you have to have all the classic signs to have a disease...

Do you have any pictures of the cyst or whatever it is when it's in it's full blown irritation mode?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--