Another Osteo Diagnosis....

Guest wholovesskunks

Guest Ohiogreymom

I had to send my Reggie to the bridge back in August. He had Osteo in his rear leg. He had started crying when changing position, and getting up and down. As the Osteo progresses, it will eat thru the bone, and the leg will break. That was my nightmare, that it would break while I was at work, and he would be in lots of pain and I was determined to let him go before that happened.Enjoy the time you have and make lots of wonderful memories.You're tucked in our prayers here! :grouphug Darlene

Guest Energy11

You know your dog and your situation best so you never have to justify your treatment choice to anyone. We will support whatever you decide. Be prepared for it to be a rapid progression and then if it is not, well you are living with a gift. Remember always that Lenny is only living in the moment and not worrying or grieving about tomorrow. Take your cues from him.

Jack was diagnosed in May. After getting him stabilized on meds we had a glorious summer together. I even was able to take him to the lake one more time in August. He stared to decline in the fall and I had to let him go in November. But I was sure on the day he was diagnosed that I only had another two weeks with him. Everyday after that was a gift.

Your journey will be unique to you and Lenny. The only critical and consistent component is to manage his pain and then let him go when you can't. You may find that he has days that are worse than others but that he can recover from those. Jack had several of those. Or you may find that it is just progressively worse. Please remember we are here to support and help.

Soooo, well said! Exactly what it was like with Max!

I am so sorry. This is just a rotten, horrible, $#@%# disease.

Since amputation is not a possibility, I'm not sure chemo would be indicated. If it is, you should be aware that Ohio State University would probably be able to provide the drugs at no cost to you. You would still need to pay for the administration.

Radiation can help reduce the pain, but will not control the cancer. Since radiation controls the pain, there is an increased risk of a broken leg because the dog will use it harder, putting more stress on it.

As another responder said, osteo can cause a broken leg. This is excruciating for the dog. If you must leave him alone, you might want to consider crating Lenny while you are gone. This would reduce the possibility of breaking the leg when you are not there.

I know none of this is fair. I wish I could cure every hound. Just know that you will find comfort and understanding here.

Guest wholovesskunks

Thanks to all of you for such warm responses.

Lenny seems ok right now- I am just not good at this type of thing. When I got home yesterday he was panting in his crate- so I gave him a Tramadol- he seemed very comfortable and happy all night. He has been inhaling food. Or maybe I just never noticed how much he ate! Is this normal with the medacam and tramadol? Last night was pizza (and lots of it-no telling how many crusts the kids fed him!)and he was in heaven! He also ate his regular dog food dinner so I am glad to see his appetite is very good.

I am worried about bone breakage and yes, we most certainly keep him crated when we are not home. He loves his crate and spends time in it anyways.

All in all-yesterday was a good day for him.

Again, thank you for all the support. I am trying to be strong for him and the kids but it's just not an easy thing to do. I feel bad wishing he would all of a sudden be in pain rather than slowly becoming more and more painful, I'd put him out of his misery and this would be over for both him and us. This will be the hardest thing I have ever done with any of my pets. He's been our only dog since we got married, think "Marley and Me". Gosh that movie was horrible. I cried and cried. Somehow I think this will be similar......