New Girl In The House

Guest alphiesdad

Guest alphiesdad

Our new girl "Cheeky" (a three and a half year old female) has been with us for three weeks now.

Our first Grey "Alphie" (a seven year old male) has been with us for six yaers.

Although there has been no real aggression issues (other than Alphie growling if Cheeky goes after his food)

they just don't seem "close"

They share the couch, as long as they are butt-to-butt, and not facing each other, but as far as actually "cuddling with each other (as I have seen other Grey's do) that hasn't happened yet.

My question is, will this change with time, or do some Grey's merely "tolerate" another Grey in the same house?

Also, can compatability issues become worse as time goes by ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Well in the case of my 2 male Greyhounds they never ever cuddle. I had Spencer for 6 years before adopting Buzz. Spencer growls at Buzz all the time if he gets too close to him. Buzz has tried to be close to Spencer but Spencer will not have any of that. Spencer adores Emmy, my non-Greyhound, and has on several occasions tried to cuddle with her. She puts up with it for about a second before moving away. I would love for all my dogs to snuggle but that just isn't going to happen!

Guest brandi007

I've got the same situation going on in my house and can honestly say even though they don't 'seem' close and don't snuggle and all that jazz they usually do appreciate the company.

I know when I take Sophie out for a home visit (Hannah is a crappy ambassadog...haha) Hannah's just a mess, pacing, whining, going outside every 5 min to see if we're back yet. At home though she growls at Sophie when she touches her, won't play with her and all that jazz. They're not close but are glad they have each other :)

3 weeks isn't a very long time either, give it time!

Guest Sweetreba

I got my female and 3 mos. later my male. She would not let him have any toys treats etc. Very bossy and took everything away if he had it. He even made sure he was not close to her when sleeping. This went on for about 6 mos. Slowly he could lay down closer not snuggle but their pillows are side by side and they each would take one. Now one yr. later they play tug o war with the toys and both of them initiate play. He lays on his pillow but lays his head on hers for an extra pillow for his head. Cuddle together no. The closest they get to that is when they are in the back seat of the car and even then I hear a little gggrrr if someone gets a little too close or gets stepped on. Surprisingly he tolerates her but as bossy as she is at times she loves him and has to be around him all the time. She is the one who wants him around, he could care less but does like to play with her.

Some are cuddlers and some aren;t. Cheeky hasn't been with you long enough to have a good assessment yet of how dynamics in your house are going to settle out. I wouldn't force the issue with either of them though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine have all been together for a few years and just recently I find them all cuddled up together. It will take time if they're going to be cuddlers. Some never do though. My angel Emmy would only cuddle with her brother Andy and our little JRT.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest whimzical

Our new girl "Cheeky" (a three and a half year old female) has been with us for three weeks now.

Our first Grey "Alphie" (a seven year old male) has been with us for six yaers.

Although there has been no real aggression issues (other than Alphie growling if Cheeky goes after his food)

they just don't seem "close"

They share the couch, as long as they are butt-to-butt, and not facing each other, but as far as actually "cuddling with each other (as I have seen other Grey's do) that hasn't happened yet.

My question is, will this change with time, or do some Grey's merely "tolerate" another Grey in the same house?

Also, can compatability issues become worse as time goes by ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Guest whimzical

We have one Grey and one Dachshound (mini) they sometimes share a pillow, and will play, but when out for a walk or in the house they wait for and look for each other. our daughter was here with her two dogs a 8 week old mix and a 6 mo old jack russle the only one that we had trouble with was the jr he was just to bouncie for our 2. Jonsey did not like that the little mix tried to walk across him while he was resting. Good luck

I have only seen my Wink cuddle once with the infamous Loca when she was a house guest. I think some dogs are cuddlers and some aren't. I also think cuddlers know who they can cuddle with and who they can't. I have had 3 other greyhounds and none are/were cuddlers, but they do like to be on the same couch, next to each other on adjoining beds and all were very bonded to each other.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I've had 6 greys total and almost always 2 at a time. I have NEVER had any of them cuddle. My dogs though have all been senior bounces who came from single dog situations except for my brat Billy who failed at racing and came into adoption being billed as 'painfully shy'.

My dogs will run together, sniff each other, lay near each other. They have never cuddled together. (Though they jockey around getting a chance to cuddle with me)