Small Black Spots And Hair Loss

Guest lilykatharine52

Guest lilykatharine52

Hi all! My new guy, Hobbes, was getting a belly rub today, when I noticed an accumulation of tiny black spots in the very middle of his tummy , that appear underneath the skin, as they are sort of grayish and distant seeming. My first inclination was that they seem bacterial almost. The adoption agency we got him from said he lost some hair from being in his crate on both of his thighs, but today the hairless areas have tiny red bumps in splotches. He hasn't been scratching or itching on anything at all. His coat is very soft, but in areas on his upper thighs, it seems way thinner than normal. I assumed the redness was from being let outside and running around . Does anyone know what this may be? I am a little concerned, since I found the little black spots. Guess I need to get a skin scrap....

Guest Scouts_mom

Are the black spots like blackheads that human teenagers get? Grey's can get them from laying on sand. I'm told that a warm washcloth laid across the belly will help them go away.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I don't think I have met an ex-racer that did not have them to a degree, on the deepest point of the chest- if that's what you are talking about. If so, they are totally harmless.