Blood Donor

Guest Bean_Scotch

Guest Bean_Scotch

Well...I've been doing some research on greyhounds as blood donors. I was wondering a couple things...

Is it possible to do it for more than one 'vet clinic'? What I'm talking about here is that they use them for 'emergency' situations where they call and ask you to come in the next day or the day of. Is it possible to do this for more than one?

Is it possible to donate, ex. every 8 weeks at one place and be 'on call' in case of an emergency at another? as long as you keep enough of a time interval between donations that it doesn't 'hurt' the dog.

I've been reading that 2 weeks is all it takes for a greyhound to replenish their red blood cells...this seems almost too often to donate to me, so what should the interval between donations be?

for the record, NONE of my hounds are donors...I'm simply curious and asking questions because I can't find the answers on google. :lol

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I would like to know this too, I have a local vet very close to me that I would like to offer donations of blood from my boys if needed.

I always figured a need for blood from a "on call" donor would be needed pretty quickly in most cases but then again I do not really know.... I always think of dogs hit by cars or with grave injuries as the ones needing blood but I guess there are other instances that a dog would need blood that would be less urgent?

Thanks for starting this topic :)

Our Graham is an on-call donor at our vet's. He just gave his first 100 ml a couple weeks ago. It was for a Pomeranian; they didn't need much LOL! I would guess anything is possible as for doing it for more than one clinic. But there may be reasons not to do it that I'm not aware of. Good question!

We have a few members here who are with Hemopet and can probably tell you way more than I can.

I have a boy who is a former blood donor and if I remember correctly, he was a donor for 12-18months and then retired.

I am guessing that there will be a wide variety of opinions here on the subject of donating blood. And with all due respect to those opinions, if I had questions I would take them to Dr Couto who has a great donor program or to Dr Dodds from Hemopet

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Scouts_mom

Several dogs I have known were blood donors. They all did it at the local emergency 24 hour clinic that keeps a blood bank. I believe the blood was made available to all the vets in the area as needed. Generally the dogs went in 2 to 4 times a year to give blood. Very occasionally they would be called in if there was an emergency need for more blood. The dogs all loved it as they got treated like royalty including wonderful cookies. The owners liked it because they would get free exams, heartworm medicine and vacinations.

None of my kids have done it because they were either too small, too old, had had puppies, or were the wrong blood type.

This is the link to the local blood bank. You may find some answers there.

http://dovelewis.org/programs/Blood_Bank.aspx

Edited by Scouts_mom

My Joe is a blood donor for Dr. Couto's blood bank at OSU. This blood bank provides blood for much of the State of Ohio. Any vet in the area can use this blood (of course they must purchase it). The requirements for being a blood donor in this program are:

Dog must be the universal donor blood type (greyhounds tend to be this but I have been told that it is not as high a percentage as once believed)

Dog must be healthy and have never had any tick borne disease, heartworm, etc.

Dog must be over 50 pounds.

Dog must be between 1 and 7 years old.

Dog must be easy to work with.

Owner must be willing to bring the dog in to give blood at least 4 times a year (usually about every 6 to 8 weeks).

According to the vet who runs the blood bank and does hematology research: Almost all of their dogs are greyhounds. In addition to typically meeting all of the above criteria, they have more red blood cells than typical. The red blood cells regenerate in about 3 weeks, although it would be rare for them to take blood any more often than every 6 weeks. I can't remember exactly how much blood is taken but I remember being surprised that it was almost as much as when I give blood.

Their blood donor dogs receive extensive bloodwork each year. During their donation years they are also provided with a yearly exam, any necessary vaccinations, heartworm preventive, Frontline, and IAMS food. After their donation days are over, all costs associated with having the dog are borne by the owner. They are, however, eligible to receive free blood products for life.

Here is a link to info about the program.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/bloodbank.htm

Joe actually enjoys going to OSU, making the rounds to get attention from everyone in the waiting room, getting loved on when he is donating blood, and most of all, all of the good food he gets afterward. He also likes hanging out with Dr. Cristina's greyhound who is with her 24/7.

I am not familiar with donating at a local vet as opposed to the blood bank. To do it right, there are a lot of overhead costs (yearly bloodwork, initial bloodwork that costs about $700, ensuring that the dog is kept on heartworm and tick preventative, etc.). It would be up to the individual vets as to whether you could provide this service to more than one vet. In any case, your dog should give blood no more than every 6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Guest BorzoiMom

I signed Dutch up for blood donation, he's donated once so far. They will call me every 2 months. We get free blood tests, hwt, free blood transfusion if he ever needs it, and a $25 credit for services at FVS (Florida Veterinary Services - emergency clinic.) I would sign my cat up for donation, but they have to sedate the cats and she is cat agressive.

Guest BiancasMom

My dog is a blood donor. I suppose you could have your dog be a donor for more than one hospital but usually there is one in the area that sells products to other places in need. They have to screen for diseases, (Heartworm, all the tick diseases) and also type them. This is expensive for the clinic. You would have to keep track of when your dog donated,as mentioned above they shouldn't donate any more often than every 6 weeks. The typical reason when an emergency donation is needed is when for some reason the blood bank is all out of whatever type they need. The pets that present for emergency transfusions are usually hit by cars, hemoabdomen due to ruptured splenic tumors, or immune mediated hemolytic anemia crisis patients. Animals with more chronic conditions, such as some types of cancer, are not usually "emergency transfusions". My dog has only been called in for an emergency donation once and it was for a hemoabdomen dog who went in for surgery due to a ruptured splenic tumor. We get free vaccines, heartworm test and a $50 credit on our account when she makes a donation.

Thanks for starting this thread! I had been thinking about doing this for a while. The first animal hospital I contacted put us on a list to be contacted and that never happended. I call EVBB this morning and Goose and Maverick have their first appointment on Feb. 11! It is a meet and greet appointment, but will be typed and whatnot. Hopefully, all will go well!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Ours donate at the Evet on a schedule of every 6 - 8 weeks, usually nearer to the 8 week mark. We are on call for emergencies as needed, but usually it's not far off of our usual donation date. We alternate our crew, so really, we're donating once a month.

The difficulty is that we live a solid 30 minute drive (in good weather) from the Evet, so I doubt we're the first ones they call when they need emergency blood.

There are huge benefits to doing so and I do encourage anyone to join the program if you can. Most folks don't realize that there is a need for blood in the canine world, too.

Just wanted to add as well, we donate in London, but often the blood isn't needed there, so it is instead shipped to either a vet that requires it or to the University of Guelph: OVC.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest ThunderPaws

Three of my greys are blood donors at the North Carolina vet school in Raleigh.

I was told that it is very important to let them rest 8 weeks between donations! (they donate 450ml every 8 weeks).

I once was called to a local emergency vet to save a little spaniel, so I brought a few of my hounds to choose from. They would not take my grey that had donated only 3 weeks prior, but rather took the one with a slight heart murmur. Which tells me that donating blood with a slight heart murmur must be safer than donating too soon.

I would think that once you get signed up with a clinic that takes the blood every 6-8 weeks, you could ask them if your dog would be able to also be a candidate for ER donations.

I was told that it is very important to let them rest 8 weeks between donations! (they donate 450ml every 8 weeks).

I once was called to a local emergency vet to save a little spaniel, so I brought a few of my hounds to choose from. They would not take my grey that had donated only 3 weeks prior, but rather took the one with a slight heart murmur. Which tells me that donating blood with a slight heart murmur must be safer than donating too soon.

Makes me wonder why Hemopet takes blood from their greyhounds twice a month then.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I would think that once you get signed up with a clinic that takes the blood every 6-8 weeks, you could ask them if your dog would be able to also be a candidate for ER donations.

Makes me wonder why Hemopet takes blood from their greyhounds twice a month then.

How do you know that Hemopet takes blood from a dog twice a month?

I would like to know because I know you have no first hand knowledge about Hemopet

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I would like to know because I know you have no first hand knowledge about Hemopet

It's on their website.

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

It's on their website.

Wow, I must be totally blind, I don't see that

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

It's on their website.

Wow, I must be totally blind, I don't see that

They certainly don't make it easy to find.rolleyes.gif

Link (page 6, under How much do the greyhounds donate)

Guest mcsheltie

Four of ours donate to MSU. They draw every six to eight weeks. They have never called us in before eight weeks. Normally individual clinics have blood sent by courier service from donation centers in the area (like MSU).

Thanks I see it. Small print! Not sure about the amt donated, looks like 250ml.

ETA: I believe that normal is 450ml and according to Ohio State, they can donate every 3 weeks but that is not the norm

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg