Bruising Without Injury

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

When I got Zephyr I was told he had excessive bruising from his neuter. I didn't really give it much thought. He still had a bit, but it went away in time.

Now, I've just noticed some bruising on his side. it's red, about three inches long but very narrow, definitely under the skin, and there is no fluid build up or swelling appearing. He is eating with his usual zest (and I mean zest, he's a bottomless pit), and is behaving normally. That said, he's one of those super lazy Greyhounds, and he rarely runs about much. He's never been out of my sight except while snoozing in his crate on a comfy bed while I was out for a few hours today. No evidence of any injury. He does not have separation issues and he does not fidget or thrash about in his crate.

After noticing this, I recalled the apparent trouble he had when neutered, and the bruising remaining when I got him.

Internet research hasn't given me much to go with except that it can be a sign of TBD, though he did not have ticks when pulled from the track (not that means anything) and he has no other signs of TBD with one possible exception. When my vet manipulates his right hip, he squeals. However, he does not limp, loves long walks, and when the urge strikes him, he does run full out with no issue, and has no trouble leaping onto my tall bed and so forth.

Thoughts? I'm consulting The Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound as soon as I hit send on this. Oh, let me take a picture too.

007-1.jpg

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yup, my vet and I discussed treating them all with Doxy anyway, and not even bothering with the test. I wouldn't with Charlotte. She came from a good kennel is thriving. But this guy and the two JCKCs who were covered in ticks, I think it's not a bad idea. Anyone use Tetra-Cycline for TBD? I can get that online for dirt cheap without a vet visit.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

IIRC dosing with Tetracycline is a much bigger dose and a real PITA.

Even if the hound comes from a good kennel it still doesn't mean that the farm where she was born or raised didn't have ticks. Same for who she was hauled with, who the other hounds were in the hauler and things along those lines. Even the best breeders out there have dogs coming off the tracks with TBD.

Looking at the photo I see a nipple :blush is the bruise more toward the front of the body or toward the back? Reason I ask is with such a thin bruise I wonder if someone else was getting frisky with Zephyr?? Looks like it could be a bruise from a toe nail or dew claw from another dog.

Just a guess :)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It's not far behind his elbow. Thing is, he doesn't play/rough house with them, and they're always in my sight or separated. However, that would be ideal if that's what it is!!

Guest RocketDog

Mine get little bruises like that all the time, usually from catching themselves on things or roughousing. Rocket gets them on his ribs from bonking into our bedside tables! I personally wouldn't worry unless the bruise continues to spread or get bigger.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It definitely doesn't seem to be getting any worse! I haven't ever had one with super thin hair down there like he has. Perhaps I've just never noticed a bruise.

Cookie bruises easily, and just a weekend ago or so, I had to take her to the e-vet to get a marrow bone removed from her lower jaw. (Yes, it really is as crazy as it sounds).

Thread

There is a good link in there also, about bruising. The vet told me that b/c she bruised easily she prob. be a referral candidate for any future surgeries.

Here is my little misfit with her bandaged, bruised leg. (It bruised from the IV).

IMG_0180.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Ouch!

He has another very small spot a little lower down now, but the original one is fading.

The bruising during his neuter makes me think I would want to avoid any surgery on him if possible, too.

Rita gets that too. Plus, every time she has a blood draw or a catheter in for a dental she bruises there. The last time the jugular had a "bruise" 1.5 x 3.5" long. It even happens 2-3 days after the draw.

She has slightly prolonged clotting time and is being tested for von willebrands and some other things.

She also had a Babesia titer of 1:640 when we got her 4 years ago but it finally fell to 1:40. I have to wonder of that's at the root of it.

The good news is that she got a cut on her foot last Wednesday that did bleed but it stopped fine. Phew! It was cleaned, sutured and wrapped. We're taking her in for a checkup today. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the bandage is changed.