Thickening On Side Of Neck

Guest angel

My grey had right leg amputation for osteosarcoma of distal radius in early September. He has done extremely well. Had clean chest Xray before Xmas.

Has tolerated chemo very well, and has one more treatment left.

Today I noticed that the right side of his neck appears thicker than the left. It almost appears as if his neck is crooked. My family thinks that it is probably thickening of the muscle trying to compensate for the limb loss. I am thinking the worst.

He is doing so well, great appetite, great energy level. I hope this is not the dreaded "C".

Has anybody noticed anything like this on their greys?

is it like a rounded lumpmound?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It's somewhat rounded. It is not noticeable when he is lying down. I can't feel it then. But when he stands up that side of his neck, just beside where his shoulder blade used to be, is bigger than the other side.

With his history, or especially because of his history, I'd bring him in to the vet on Monday.

Hoping it's a non issue for your boy. I've been throught the OS/amp/chemo too so I know how scary it is when something else crops it.

Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My family thinks that it is probably thickening of the muscle trying to compensate for the limb loss

The same think happened to Dennis awhile after his amputation. I believe OSU thought it was a thickening of the muscle to compensate for the limb loss. I believe his brother Zinger also had the muscle thickening in the neck.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I'm so glad that someone else has experienced this with their greys.

He is doing so well now, I would be devastated if anything sinister was going on.

I would imagine it is just the way his muscles are adjusting to the loss of the limb. Sid's amputation is a back leg, but I am amazed at how thickened and 'humpy' his shoulders are, and his back is more muscular on one side than the other, too.

If you think about it, it's only to be expected! But I'd probably still take your boy for a quick check to be sure. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop