I was letting the dogs out to potty (and play) just now, and found a toenail just outside the patio door. It looks thick and heavy, like Manero's, and is the same color as most of his nails. He was already out there, so I checked the two that were near me (Henley and Cooper). All their nails were intact.I called Manero over, expecting him to be missing a nail. He was not limping. I checked all his feet, and all his nails were there.

So, I went in and checked the girls. All of their nails were intact.

Weird.

The strangest thing is, this looks like a WHOLE toenail. Not just a broken tip, but the whole thing. Like I'd be expecting one of my dogs to be in major pain, with a bleeding pulp left behind. But everyone's fine!

I am confused...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Have not sloved the mystery! Still confuzzled!

No one has dewclaws, but even when Naples did, they were not as heavy as the nails on her feet. And hers are not as heavy as the one I found.

I still don't get it! I even double-checked Manero's feet. Even after he ran around the yard, and wrestled with his brother and nephew, and generally appeared to be pain-free. He still has all his nails!

Hmmmmmm...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

That is really weird! Is it possibly a shell of a toenail? Like maybe it shed or something?

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Did it have blood on it? Is there any chance it could have belonged to a past dog and one of them tracked it in or something? SO weird! You have a ghost!

Didja check Bill's feet? :lol

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Didja check Bill's feet? :lol

LOL No, but this is weird, even for him! ;):lol

what about the dog you refer to as the nephew? have you checked with his owner?

I am his owner! LOL He is nephew to my adults, thus the reason I refer to him as such! We have a twisted family! ;)

That is bizarre...it could be its been there for a while, doubt it but.....and the toenail grew back. I found a jaw tooth in the door frame. I've checked every one here & they all have their teeth, well except Gabby who hasn't had those teeth in a long time. My guess because its so white & clean, it belonged to Gogh. I keep it in my billfold for good luck. 

My old gal Cali had this 'toenail' that appeared to be embedded into the pad of her foot. Now while Cali is terrified of a dremel or the toenail clippers, her nails were not that bad, they just weren't even close! I pulled on it and it did not come out and yet she seemed to have no pain at all. Talked to my groomer the next day and went to look at it while I was on the phone... it wasn't there, there was NO hole in any of her foot pads. Did some more research and found out that dogs can get 'horny growths' and that they can resemble toenails. Several weeks later, there was another growth out of one of her pads, looked just like a toenail again, and again it disapeared quickly. Then she got one on her forehead and I called her my little unicorn. That one disapeared quickly too and it too looked like a toenail or a horn growing out of her forehead.

Sooooo, I suspect that perhaps this might be what you found.