Another Post-Spay Complication

Ms. Puzzle Patch was in for her spay on Monday. Now she's developed this:

mindy2001.jpg

It's a sack of fluid, and it looks like blood or bruising.

Any ideas?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Hematoma or bleeding. I'd get it looked at ASAP.

She's going to the vet in the AM, definitely. We can go the e-vet route, but most that I've consulted with thought the morning was ok?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

That's not by her incision. I'd at least want bloodwork tonight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My mom's dog ruptured her inner stitches after her spay and it was similar. Was bleeding into her abdominal cavity. My mom went the e-vet route, but I don't know if that was absolutely necessary or not. The ended up reopening the wound restitching everything, then had to sedate her for a week while she healed. She's fine now. :)

Sending prayers that everything is ok. :hope

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Is that pooling blood? Can you get her on her back and take a picture looking down on the incision?

Can't - but only because she's not my foster. I have a few other pictures, but none show the incision. Foster home says the incision itself is unremarkable.

I know, it's no where near her incision! I'll see what I can do about getting her seen tonight. Here's the wider shot, showing her full side:

mindy003.jpg

My mom's dog ruptured her inner stitches after her spay and it was similar. Was bleeding into her abdominal cavity. My mom went the e-vet route, but I don't know if that was absolutely necessary or not. The ended up reopening the wound restitching everything, then had to sedate her for a week while she healed. She's fine now. :)

Well... crap. That does sound like something that would cause this sort of pooling, doesn't it.

Sorry, I left out 9/10ths my thought process. Would be ugly if it were by her incision, but not being by it makes me wonder if something else Not Nice is going on. Although it could be as CMoon describes. Creepy in any case. Hope it turns out to be one big nothing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 3greysinPA

It could be a bruise from the surgery...

i used to work in the OR... and sometimes you can get bruising on the skin if someone was leaning on her chest or resting an arm there ...

Did it appear suddenly???

Could be old blood, not sure, would need to see her to be sure... again .. check her gums?

I dont know if i would be able to sleep tonight.. I dont know.

Sorry, I left out 9/10ths my thought process. Would be ugly if it were by her incision, but not being by it makes me wonder if something else Not Nice is going on. Although it could be as CMoon describes. Creepy in any case. Hope it turns out to be one big nothing.

Ditto that... i hope it turns out to be nothing.. however... it is very odd... and I may have to take her to the E vet to be sure.

No, didn't appear suddenly, it gradually got worse. Today it actually started looking like a "sack" of fluid, before it was looking more like just some bruising. It actually hangs down from her chest.

I just sent an message to the foster home... not sure if she's still up or what at this point...will see what I can do.

Guest 3greysinPA

No, didn't appear suddenly, it gradually got worse. Today it actually started looking like a "sack" of fluid, before it was looking more like just some bruising. It actually hangs down from her chest.

I just sent an message to the foster home... not sure if she's still up or what at this point...will see what I can do.

oh gosh.. i dont know what to say... sending lots of prayers your way.

Guest mcsheltie

We've had pooling blood down the body line into the back legs, under the front legs and none by the incision. Also directly under the body, which looked like a big bag when she was standing up. It can go anywhere. That's why I asked if it was blood. I should have added... or does it feel solid?

I think ruptured inner sutures are e vet material. It needs to get stitched back up right away. If you let it wait the tissue becomes necrotic. If it is pooling blood she needs Amicar ASAP.

Is she running a fever?

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest sja5032

annie lightcloud did almost the same thing after her spay. Vet said as long as she is eating and acting normal and refill is fine, not to worry.