Excessive Drinking

Lexie has been on iams low residue food for 2 years except for the last month we have been mixing it with wellness (also dry) sweet potato and salmon flavor. I noticed she seems to be drinking soo much more water. She use to just drink at night now she drinks 4-5 bowls a day. She of course is peeing more due to the water. She has no problem holding it overnight for 9 hours so I am hoping it is not a urinary problem. Could this new food cause her to be more thirst? We also added a a mix of her daily treats..the same wellness brand. Does anyone's dog who is on wellness brand drink more?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest mcsheltie

No problem with Wellness here. But an increase in sodium and protein can cause increased thirst. Check out the ingredients. Most companies you have to call to get the sodium content.

Guest Energy11

Could be the food, being you just changed it. I don't feed Wellness food, but I DO use their all natural treats. It might be a sodium issue. Good Luck, and hope everything turns out okay !

Guest Energy11

Could be the food, being you just changed it. I don't feed Wellness food, but I DO use their all natural treats. It might be a sodium issue. Good Luck, and hope everything turns out okay !

Guest mickie37

A friend had a dog with diabetes and one of the things she noticed was the amount of water the dog drank.

My dogs are Raw fed but at times I use wellness core and have not noticed any increase in their water intake.

Good Luck.