Rescued Blood Donor

Guest sneakers

Guest sneakers

Hi Everyone -

I recently adopted a retired racer who was used as a blood donor for 2 1/2 years. When she came to me, her red blood cell count and iron levels were extremely low. The vet had given us some supplements and she seems to be doing well. My question is this - Are there any health concerns or problems that could develop from her overuse as a donor in comparison to other rescued greyhounds? What are your experiences with greyhounds that have been used as blood donors?

Guest KennelMom

We've had three retired blood donors...two donated past the age of 10 - one was 12 and one was 10 when they retired. One died of osteo and one died of cancer, but not osteo. 13 and 12, respectively...so definitely lived out the expected lifespan of a greyhound, which is usually quoted at 10-12 years. Lucas, who is still with us, donated until the age of 6 and he's in perfect health...even goes lure coursing.

Regular blood donation is often associated with some positive health benefits in humans...maybe it's the same in dogs, I'm not sure.

I believe there are veterinary protocols as to how often a dog can or should donate. When we got the vet records of all of our blood donors, all of their donations and post-donation care were noted in their records. If you have evidence a dog was overused or bled too often, that might be something to report to the state vet board. Even if they are "just a blood donor" the dogs deserve respect and proper care.

Were her levels low possibly because she had just donated? When Lucas left the vet clinic, they bled him the day before he left (on a cross country trip...so, yeah, that kind ticked me off...but oh well, at least they didn't euthanize him like they were planning to).

Edited by KennelMom

Guest MyBoys

I also have a blood donor, I don't have much history on him, I know he never raced or at least according to Grey-Data he didn't, he was used for stud and then ended up in Texas as a blood donor. He was not released from there until he was 9 years old ????? I am still trying to understand that. He was adopted and in a home for less then a year and returned, through no fault of his. The day I brought him home to foster he began having seizures, we ended up adopting him because trying to find a home for a now 10 year old dog with seizures was close to impossible. We just love our old guy and he is doing very well now at age 11.5. He does however have almost no muscle mass and weak back legs which he had already had when I brought him home. He goes to the vet every 6 months for blood work because he is on phenobarb for his seizures. So far all his blood work has been good, but I do have my doubts about some of the donnor facilities these dogs are sent to. Please don't flame me, it is just my opinion because of the age and condition he was in when he arrived at the kennel. How old is your girl??????

Edited by MyBoys

Guest mickie37

My Lupo never raced and I was told he was a blood donor for 4 years. He has little muscle development which resulted in a variety of physical problems. He also has very bad teeth. He is the sweetest dog I have ever met, so trusting, and tries to please us. He just suffered a neurological problem, maybe a stroke and has some deficiencies due to this.

He had been on a farm before coming to the adoption group so I don't know about his early blood work. My vet has him on the senior protocol and his last blood work was fine.

Good Luck with your girl.

Guest sneakers

I also have a blood donor, I don't have much history on him, I know he never raced or at least according to Grey-Data he didn't, he was used for stud and then ended up in Texas as a blood donor. He was not released from there until he was 9 years old ????? I am still trying to understand that. He was adopted and in a home for less then a year and returned, through no fault of his. The day I brought him home to foster he began having seizures, we ended up adopting him because trying to find a home for a now 10 year old dog with seizures was close to impossible. We just love our old guy and he is doing very well now at age 11.5. He does however have almost no muscle mass and weak back legs which he had already had when I brought him home. He goes to the vet every 6 months for blood work because he is on phenobarb for his seizures. So far all his blood work has been good, but I do have my doubts about some of the donnor facilities these dogs are sent to. Please don't flame me, it is just my opinion because of the age and condition he was in when he arrived at the kennel. How old is your girl??????

My girl, Nikka, celebrated her 6th birthday in June. She too was "rescued" and then returned to the shelter. The poor girl has been through so much, but has adjusted surpsingly well. I want to ensure that this last half of her life is the absolute best it can be, especially since her first few years were pretty rough.

Guest Greytluv

I have four blood donors. All are well. They all were in a very controlled blood bank. If I were you I would send the blood work up to Dr. Dodds (Hemopet) or Dr. Couto (OS

U) to have them read.

Edited by Greytluv

Guest sneakers

We've had three retired blood donors...two donated past the age of 10 - one was 12 and one was 10 when they retired. One died of osteo and one died of cancer, but not osteo. 13 and 12, respectively...so definitely lived out the expected lifespan of a greyhound, which is usually quoted at 10-12 years. Lucas, who is still with us, donated until the age of 6 and he's in perfect health...even goes lure coursing.

Regular blood donation is often associated with some positive health benefits in humans...maybe it's the same in dogs, I'm not sure.

I believe there are veterinary protocols as to how often a dog can or should donate. When we got the vet records of all of our blood donors, all of their donations and post-donation care were noted in their records. If you have evidence a dog was overused or bled too often, that might be something to report to the state vet board. Even if they are "just a blood donor" the dogs deserve respect and proper care.

Were her levels low possibly because she had just donated? When Lucas left the vet clinic, they bled him the day before he left (on a cross country trip...so, yeah, that kind ticked me off...but oh well, at least they didn't euthanize him like they were planning to).

The veterinary clinic that used her kept very detailed records, indicating she was used every other day. My vet said it seemed extensive, but was not alarmed. My primary concern is that toward the end, her charts indicated an inability to re-produce enough red blood cells. Her red blood cell count has normalized, but I am concerned about any lingering, long term effects that could result later. Thanks so much for sharing the story about your donor dogs - it's encouraging. I can only hope that my girl has a long, happy life too! :)

Guest Energy11

My friend adopted a former blood donor. She was used for six years as one. The dog is now ten, and in excellent shape! She is also a certified therapy dog. I do know, she was used a lot as a donor, but so far, absolutely NO health problems! :-))

Edited by Energy11

I have four blood donors. All are well. They all were in a very controlled blood bank. If I were you I would send the blood work up to Dr. Dodds (Hemopet) or Dr. Couto (OS

U) to have them read.

Ditto! My boy Wayne is from the same blood bank, he will turn 10 this year and in all honestly, he is the healthiest one I have ever had

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My Rose was a donor dog--she is 11, and she left the blood bank when she was nine. So far, she's been very healthy; my vet didn't mention any possibility of health problems due to having been a donor.

:)

Congrats on your new girl!

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

The veterinary clinic that used her kept very detailed records, indicating she was used every other day.

I hope you've reported these people to your state's veterinary medical associations and licensing board. That's flat-out abusive.

Where are you located? You might want to get a tick-born disease panel done on your girl in the not-too-distant future. You'd think that would've been done if she was a blood donor, but her former owners don't sound very caring so who knows. Tick diseases are one of the more obvious things that can affect blood values.

Thank you for rescuing this girl and giving her the home she deserves.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have one grey and one GSP that are still blood donors here for our town small vet clinic, we go anytime day or night to help, and these are not the only 2 that have helped throughout time, I don't feel this has any ill effect on their health, in any way, We are glad to help :kiss2

Mine are all donors, have been for many years. Even Echo, who will be 12 in May, and Orion, who will be 11 in July, donate regularly (usually once every 7 - 8 weeks). Atlas retired from donating three years ago when he developed a heart murmur.

It has no adverse effects on them and if anything I believe they seem healthier. Echo especially does not act her age whatsoever.

I know I will continue to have my dogs involved in the donor program in the future.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

The veterinary clinic that used her kept very detailed records, indicating she was used every other day.

I hope you've reported these people to your state's veterinary medical associations and licensing board. That's flat-out abusive.

Where are you located? You might want to get a tick-born disease panel done on your girl in the not-too-distant future. You'd think that would've been done if she was a blood donor, but her former owners don't sound very caring so who knows. Tick diseases are one of the more obvious things that can affect blood values.

I missed this! Every other day? My God I hope that's a clerical error because if not, I would report it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wouldn't worry so much about the long-term donations; red cells are meant to be replaced, after all, but if that schedule is correct, something needs to be done about that facility.

In the short term, if you wish, feed some beef heart, maybe with some liver as well. I just picked up a 60 pound case of the former for our dogs today. We don't feed liver quite so often. Both are excellent sources of heme iron, and are much more readily assimilated than the iron salts (iron sulfate, in many cases) added to kibble.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest sneakers

I thought it seemed excessive, but my current vet didn't seem too alarmed by it so I let it go. Nikka tested negative for tick-born diseases, babesia, etc. and her blood panels are normal for the most part (with exception to a low red blood cell count). I am going to look into reporting her case to the Florida State Veterinary Association - and also plan to start shopping for a new vet. Thanks for your suggestions. Your input is very much appreciated.

Guest eaglflyt

Agreed! Donating 2 or 3 times in 2 to 3 months is a more acceptable rate. Also, in humans, Hgb and Hct are tested before donating to make sure the donor is capable of donating at that time. I would think the same would/should hold true in pets.

I would definitely get the documentation and report this to your state veterinary board.

angryfire.gifangryfire.gifangryfire.gif

I am going to look into reporting her case to the Florida State Veterinary Association - and also plan to start shopping for a new vet. Thanks for your suggestions. Your input is very much appreciated.

Good for you. Please keep us updated on what happens if you do.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest mcsheltie

Holy crap! Every other day! :angryfire

Four of our dogs are universal donors. We are part of MSU's program and they donate once every three months. I have become good friends with the lady who runs the program. Would you like me to email her and get her take on this?

Edited by mcsheltie

The veterinary clinic that used her kept very detailed records, indicating she was used every other day. My vet said it seemed extensive, but was not alarmed. My primary concern is that toward the end, her charts indicated an inability to re-produce enough red blood cells. Her red blood cell count has normalized, but I am concerned about any lingering, long term effects that could result later.

How cruel!!! Poor girl. I would definitely report them. :angryfire:angryfire

My Joe donates blood at Ohio State University. I can talk to Dr. Cristina Iazbik (blood bank manager) for you if you would like or you could email her at iazbik.1@osu.edu

Cristina will not take blood any more frequently than once every 3 weeks. Typically she takes a unit from the donor dogs in the program about 6 to 8 times a year (every 6 to 8 weeks). Joe got a complete blood work up before he joined the program (about $700 of tests including tick titers and full thyroid at MSU etc.). In addition he gets a blood work up every year. I don't know if they do a CBC or even just RBC before each donation.

I remember her telling me that it takes about 3 weeks for the dog to regenerate the blood back to normal levels.

My guess is that she would say that as long as her blood now is within normal for a greyhound (as you know their RBC should be higher than other dogs), that your baby will be fine.

Jane

Guest KennelMom

EVERY OTHER DAY????? I hope that's a typo.

I join the others... :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

I might be inclined to send an email to Dr. Couto at OSU w/her blood work just to get his opinion and to ask about any long term repercussions of if he believes it to be too often. I really go back and forth on how I feel about live in blood donors. It can be done right and be a great life for the dog...but it can also result in abuse of the donor animals.

Guest MyBoys

Taking your dog to a clinic to donate blood is a great thing to do and you keep track of how often he or she gives blood. Dogs in the blood donor facilities don't have much of a life, I assume they are taken care of but lets face it, they are just a number.

EVERY OTHER DAY????? I hope that's a typo.

I join the others... :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

I might be inclined to send an email to Dr. Couto at OSU w/her blood work just to get his opinion and to ask about any long term repercussions of if he believes it to be too often. I really go back and forth on how I feel about live in blood donors. It can be done right and be a great life for the dog...but it can also result in abuse of the donor animals.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that Dr. Cristina Iazbik works for Dr. Couto and also does hematology research. I'm sure she would give you accurate information on your grey's blood values and history.

Jane

I have trouble understanding how a grey could even be used to provide that much blood. Anemia and collapse would be inevitable, unless it were very small quantities (every other day), as in "maybe enough for a chi." I'm hoping that's an error somewhere.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest sneakers

Holy crap! Every other day! :angryfire

Four of our dogs are universal donors. We are part of MSU's program and they donate once every three months. I have become good friends with the lady who runs the program. Would you like me to email her and get her take on this?

I would be very interested in hearing your friends take on this, and will happily foward any of her records your way. Greytalk would not let me email you directly, so I left a comment on your profile page with my contact info.