Dumb Question, But...

Guest gecko_foot

Guest gecko_foot

I know it's a bit of a dumb question, but I have a good reason for it: Do any of you leave tag collars on your greys when they're crated? I have a colleague who lost his dog when someone broke into his apartment. I don't know if the dog was crated, but the situation has made me a little paranoid. My apartment complex is located very close to a high traffic area, and I would like to have permanent identification on my dog in the event of a break-in or other problem. :withstupid

No, never. The risk of them choking or injuring themselves with a caught tag is much greater, in my opinion, than the risk of them being let out in a break-in. If you want your dog to have permanent identification, you could always get a microchip.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest TeddysMom

That is not a dumb question. My dogs wear breakaway collars unless they are going for a walk, my phone number is printed on all their collars. They do have these on when they are crated but mine are only crated to eat and some overnight but we are always here. I'm sure you will get a lot of different answers to your question.

Mine wears his tag collar all the time, and the tags are in a tag bag. He spends a lot of time in his crate. You can see the tag bag in this picture.

Nov%202009%20029.JPG

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest caelanarcher

Aaron wears a tag collar (just a flat collar with boomerang tags) when he's in the house, but I remove it when he's crated. Just not worth the risk, for me. For added peace-of-mind, I'm looking into getting him microchipped.

Edited by caelanarcher

Guest Audeamus

I have a boomerang tag that slides onto a buckle collar for Gir. He is not crated while I'm not home nor is he muzzled. He is microchipped too as a precaution and I added my info to the rabies tag we got last year when he got his 3 year shot.

So all in all, I have about 3 pieces of id on/in him all with my contact info. Where I'm renting now, there's been a bunch of problems with repair guys leaving the gate open so I want to have as many pieces of id on him as possible. I've also heard somewhere people are more likely to help/grab your dog if they have a collar on vs if they don't.

Mine wear their tag collars 24/7. They are reflective fabric with a jingle-free id badge. So no dangling tags to get caught in anything. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest TBSFlame

I know it's a bit of a dumb question, but I have a good reason for it: Do any of you leave tag collars on your greys when they're crated? I have a colleague who lost his dog when someone broke into his apartment. I don't know if the dog was crated, but the situation has made me a little paranoid. My apartment complex is located very close to a high traffic area, and I would like to have permanent identification on my dog in the event of a break-in or other problem. withstupid.gif

I have a tag collar with the information engraved into the leather of the collar. Nothing is hanging down to get caught on anything. I have their name and my cell number and dh cell number on the collars.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

When I am gone, no collars on the crated dogs. But I am home most of the time. They sleep with me. I take something to sleep, so no jingling tags wake or bother me.

Guest 3greysinPA

All collars removed before going into the crate at my house. IMO i just would not want them to get caught on something and get hung up or hurt.

My dogs are NEVER EVER without tags. They wear them on breakaway collars.

I get mine from http://longdogleatherworks.com/index.cfm?content=67&Menu=31

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Mine always wear tag collars. The martingale goes on only for walks. It makes sense to me to have them crated with the tag collar as long as they can pull their head out if the tags get stuck. Or you can use the flat ID tag that so many of us use.

I understand the worry. Our dogs are also microchipped.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

My dogs are never without their tag collars. I think that only having the microchip is not ideal because it means they would have to be scanned to id the dog. If you crate, use a breakaway collar with an id so that there is not a chance the dog would be hurt if the collar got caught.

smokes.jpgcollect2.jpg

Pepper the lurcher, Smokey the longdog and Collect (Call Collect) the grey

Della Dee and AMF Achilles waiting at the bridge

Not a dumb question at all! I don't crate my dogs, but I share similar concerns while I'm at work.

Pam at Cozy Coats & More made these GREAT break-away reflective tag collars for Carl & Claire. They are less than an inch wide, are lined with velvet, have 3M reflective tape on the outside (the kind they use on emergency worker's garments), they connect with velcro which is strong enough to allow me to gently pull the collar if needed, but is able to give way if they get caught on something. Then I bought a slide on tag for each collar. I couldn't be happier, I love these collars. I can find my black dogs in my very low light yard among the bushes and leaves without using a flashlight, the reflective tape is super bright.

Carl (without using the flash you can actually see the collar, they look silver)

IMG_1295.jpg

Carl using the flash during the day

IMG_1292.jpg

Both dogs

IMG_1410.jpg

I've (since the first 2 photos were shot) ordered slide on collar tags for each dog, nothing hangs down, no jingling.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest RocketDog

Mine wear leather hunter-style tag collars 24/7, they have a metal ring at the halfway point that two leather straps pivot around so that if the dog gets tangled up in something the collar flexes enough that they can escape. I do plan to get boomerang tags at some point and just put their registration/vax tags on their leashes, but for now this works just fine for us. Rocket is the only one that is crated when we are gone and we have never had a problem with his collar getting caught in his crate.

They are also microchipped, for what it's worth.

Guest widowcali

Mine wear their tag collars all the time. Widow is an escape artist and sees an open gate, even if only open for a split second, as an invitation to the outside world. However, they are not crated. There is also someone home with them almost 24 hours. My mom works nights, and I work days. Except for when one of us runs errands, there is someone home with them. I think they are left alone for, maybe, 2 hours at a time tops. My girls are also microchipped, which I think all companion animals should be. It's the cheapest $20 you'll ever spend.

Guest LindsaySF

Mine and fosters wear tag collars. (We use a combo of crates, gates, and ex-pens). They have a plastic buckle and are on loosely so they could come off in the case they get snagged.