Sutra Is Limping

Sutra is limping this morning...his right front leg. Have no idea what's going on. I thought maybe he pulled a muscle or something if he got up off the couch the wrong way in his excitement over my boyfriend being home.

He cries every time he stands up...I have a dr. appt right now but I could try and take him for an xray today...my girls have a vet appt. Saturday morning...should I wait and see if he improves, or just scoot him over there? I gave him a deramaxx earlier and it's had no effect.

Thoughts?

UPDATE

We're home from the vet...Mr. Sutra has dislocated his shoulder. For the most part he's fine, just really really sore. He's actually walking better now than he was before (probably because Dr. Drey sort of popped it back in where it needed to be!).

We have Deramaxx and strict bedrest rules...as well as icing the shoulder a few times a day. Later next week he'll probably go back in for a followup and a possible chiro adjustment as well as some laser therapy (it's done him so much good in the past!) He's resting comfortably now on a dog bed and I'm going to go in to work for a few hours. Mark will be here with him though.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and well wishes! I tend to be a worrywart and honestly would rather spend money for peace of mind in a lot of cases...especially when my good buddy can't even lift up his shoulder! But yes, I will admit sometimes I worry a bit too much...the mind begins to wander and you think of all of these terrible things that could be wrong.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'd go now Kristin, but as you know I am neurotic :grouphug Sending feel better thoughts to S!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest mountain4greys

If it were one of mine, I'd take him in. I'd not only want to know, but if they can give something for the pain to, that would help.

Carolyn, I tend to err on the neurotic side of things too...I think I'll see how he is when I get back from my dr. appt and call from there.

I do have some tramadol here...thinking about giving him some to get him to relax while I'm gone. He's taken it before so I know he is okay with it...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I'm back from my appointment. Sutra DID finally lay down with Mark on a dog bed, but, I think that's because I gave him a light dose of tramadol before I left. Right now he's on the couch (I put him up there on his side), and he's asleep.

He was walking around when I came home and he's kind of holding the leg straight and off to the side. Then a few minutes later he was kind of bending his leg at the wrist and was almost knuckling his foot under. We have an appointment at 2:30...so I'll be burning at least 1/2 a vacation day, 7 days into the year dry.gif Oh well, that's what it's for. I don't ever get to take an actual vacation anyway. If he seems unsettled when I get home, I will take the whole day off. Mark is off work today but isn't exactly terribly comfortable making judgement calls on their pain and how to get them to settle. I think Mark is going to drive the Jeep while I sit in the back with Sutra to keep him laying down (usually he stands for car rides).

Shortly after I put him on the couch, I did a little more poking and prodding...you know the part of a dog's shoulderblade that kind of pokes out the front of their chest when they sphynx or when they're standing? If I push at all on that, he shows me his teeth or makes an "ow!" noise.

After talking to Mark a bit more, we are thinking Sutra fell off the couch this morning when he got home...he had come into the house and had come into the bedroom to put his wallet and stuff in the nightstand and he heard a ruckus out here in the LR. Then Sutra appeared in the bedroom doorway, limping. This was the point at which Mark woke me up. One of the couch cushions looked like it had been flipped off of the couch, and Mark said it was the one Sutra was using when he came in. Crummy thing is we have ceramic tile floors and there's a coffee table leg right where he could have fallen too. Poor buddy sad.gif

I can do a full range of motion with his leg and he doesn't snark or cry...just when I push on that one particular area of bone.

Trying to keep the C word out of my head unsure.gifsad.gif I also noticed he has a bump in his skin in that area. You can't see it, you can just feel it. It's a little bigger than a pea, and more flat than round. It's IN the skin, not raised above it. Will have Dr. Drey have a peek at that today too.

Just iced his shoulder and he was a very good boy! I put the ice pack UNDER his shoulder since he was laying on the bad one....no problems at all!

Now the issue is keeping him QUIET for about a week. Since the vet put his shoulder back where it belongs, he's still limping but getting around better. He REALLY wanted to go bounding around out in the fresh snow this evening. I have NOTHING but respect for those of you that leash walk for potty ALL the time...so far just today it's been tough having to bundle myself up to take him out to do his business!

He's walking pretty normally today...so now I'm worried he'll try and overdo it. His appetite is normal and he was waggy this morning. I think he needs to stay off of the couch and the bed for a while though!