Should I Worry About Sparks?

Since summer I've been worried about Sparks because he wouldn't eat as much as I thought he should

I was feeding him 4 cups of kibble a day and he was eating about half (Kirkland Chicken/Rice)

I tried everything to get him to eat

New kibble- buy a bag and he'd eat about a cup and refuse more so I'd get a new bag

Canned food added to kibble

pasta

rice

hamburger- he loved

chicken- he loved

baby food

Jack Mackrel

I spent more on him than I did on myself and the rest of the pups combined and I'd do it again! Not complaining about that at all just that I couldn't get him to eat.

The last few months he's been eating normally

This week, he's been starving so I've been feeding him an extra 2 cups of kibble a day. He's now getting 6 cups of kibble a day (Iams)

Seems like I worry that he wasn't eating and now I'm worried that he's finally eating!

Nothing else is "off". He's running around the yard like a puppy. Vet check was just fine, blood work perfect.

I'm a worry wart

My mom thinks that because it's so flippin cold here that he's burning more calories trying to stay warm. He does wear jammies so he's not cold (just touched him).

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Dear Worry Wortlol.gif but that is what we do with our pups. How much does Sparks weigh? Does he look skinny to you? Only reason I ask is that is a lot of food. My small grey, Brandi, only eats 2 c. per day divided a.m./p.m. and weighs 58-60 lbs. My male afghan is 78 lbs and eats 2 c. per day divided a.m./p.m. Have you got some pictures to share with us.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

He's the perfect weight according to the vet

I haven't weighed him lately but he was about 75

No pictures-I'll have to take some

Also, he will be 12 in March

Today he only had 4 cups total but he's been whining and following me into the kitchen late at night so that's where the extra 2 cups have been happening

He's been having more back end weakness but nothing that I've been concerned about (has mild LS)

Also has mild LP and is still breathing raspy/coughing but not as much as he was when it was hot outside

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Could be the LP/LS take a little more out of him. He feels good because of the cold weather, but uses up more calories doing it?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kari...My dogs have all seemed extra hungry lately. I was thinking it was related to the cold weather. At his age I would encourage him to eat unless he starts looking really chubby.

And aren't we all worry warts??

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

He's not chubby and won't be. My vet warned me not to allow him to gain weight or do stairs and well I bought him a house without stairs so don't need to worry about the weight gain :lol

This old man thing is hard to get used to. He never used to want attention and now he does all the time and he wants to sleep next to me most nights. He never would sleep in bed before even when I would make him :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest FullMetalFrank

They can burn up a lot of calories keeping warm, so I wouldn't worry too much about the extra food. Just keep an eye on the scale. How is his output?

Guest Energy11

My boys are starting to put on weight from lack of exercise. We TRY walking all fo them, but they don't want to stay out long in the cold. Prior to the cold snap, we walked 1/4 mile a day through the woods. Curfew's dislocated toe didn't help matters (*it is fine). Anyway, we reduced the amount of food they are getting, and added more string beans. Their eating habits will vary. I think you guy is okay. Good Luck!

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Eating is a good thing, afterall ;)

Then again, you can feed my crew, then touch their dishes, and they're right back bugging you and slobbering for more.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greybookends

You may just have another Bill. I used to worry when he wouldn't eat. Now I know the routine and I just roll my eyes at him, scratch his ears and take up the bowl.

Yes, the old man thing isn't easy at times. Red now visits there sometimes. :)

Kari, could there be a significant calorie count difference between the two foods? Just a thought ...

I will check that- thanks

Today I realized I was using a different scoop for the new food so he's really getting the same amount as the old food. duh!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I used a 2cup scoop but always filled it to the top with the old kibble

New kibble I was using a 1cup measuring cup so he was never getting that extra to the top

I should see how much extra that other scoop gives :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17