Dandruff

Guest surfersmurf

Guest surfersmurf

after being around miss lyla all day today i notice that she was licking and scratching a little more that usual and it seems like she has some dandruff in her fur....we have only had her home for a week and i know it is dry in my house from the furnace....is there anything i can give her to help the dandruff and itching?

Try giving her fish oil, either liquid or in capsules - I buy Kirkland Fish Oil capsules 1000mg from Costco, pretty inexpensive at ~$10 for 400 :colgate

Aston's dandruff and itching cleared up in a little under two weeks, it seemed, though I know it can take up to about 6 for fish oil to work things out.

You could also apply lotion topically in the meantime, though I haven't done this and don't have personal recommendations - I know that I have heard of bag balm and different sorts of vaseline-brand lotions being used by other GTers, though.

Waiting to see if the fish oil helps would also allot some time for Lyla to settle in, so the stress factor would reduce itself over time, too, in case that's part of the cause.

YAY LYLA!! Congrats on your new houndie :blush

Guest Swifthounds

Adding fish oil is a good idea. A basic maintenance dose would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 30 lbs. of dog. A theraputic dose of Omega 3s (the ones you're looking to add) would be 300 mg (combined total EPA & DHA) per 10 lbs. of dog. When it says 1,000 mgs on the front of the bottle, that just the mgs of fish oil, not the amount of omega 3s getting to the dog. Unless your dog is sensitive to soy, which is in many processed oils and need not be listed on the label, the numbers are what you need to know. It's how you can compare "less expensive" and "more expensive" fish oils to see what actually gets you the most bang for the buck.

Another helpful tip is to massage the surface of the skin with a "hound mitt" or rubber massage glove sold for both hounds and horses, It exfoliates dead skin cells, removes old loose hair, and stimilates the skin to produce the natural oils that keep the skin hydrated and healthy. See one here: http://www.kvsupply.com/browse/Home/Equine/Supplies-Equipment/Grooming/Mitts-Massagers-Blocks-Sponges/Rubber-Massage-Glove/D/30100/P/1:1:100:40000:420:41200:41205/I/82985