It's Cancer

Guest Smiley

Any feedback on what we can expect if we opt for no amputation and pain management would be great.

Beth, I've been down this road 3 times with senior hounds, 9 to 10 yrs. old. From first limp to the end was only 6 weeks. :cry1 A combination of tramadol and NSAID (Deramaxx or Rimadyl is what I used) plus Pepcid for the tummy was pretty effective for pain control, although they all mostly tripod'd around rather than use the affected leg. The end sign, for me, was sudden uncontrollable swelling of the limb and my hound's eyes, telling me it was time. You'll know when that is. :( I'm so very sorry you have to deal with this monster.

"

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs, Beth & Pete.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest mickie37

Beth,

I am so sorry to read that Smiley has cancer. I am praying for you and your husband and sending healing thoughts to Smiley.

Tramadol really helped Lupo with his excruciating pain. When 1 - 50mg tabs every 12 hours were not enough, our vet had us give 50 mg every eight hours. That really brought him relief and stopped the panting and pacing.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

Mickie:hope

Guest Smiley

I've seen Tramadol come up in a lot of posts and I'm wondering what is the best pain course for him. Our vet has him on 1/2 of a 2 mg tab of Hydromorphone 3x/day. I can't get a read if it's working or not. If this doesn't work, is Tramadol a good next med to ask our vet about?

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so very sorry. I'm praying for you and Smiley. I hope Dr. Couto has some helpful insight. One of my friends just went through this. She chose pain management and from diagnosis she had 10 weeks with him. She helped her boy to the bridge on Monday of this week. The 10 weeks were really good quality weeks with effective pain management. They did have to change pain meds. a couple of times due to his reactions to some of the meds.

Did your vet perhaps do a chest x-ray to see if all was well there?

Hugs to Smiley, you and your family. :grouphug:hope

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm sorry to hear about Smiley's diagnosis.

Unfortunately, I've had 3 diagnosed with osteo. The first was Morgan. At 10.5, his front wrist broke about 36 hours after he started limping. The decision at that point is amputate or euthanize. We amputated and he had 4 rounds of carboplatin. He lived 3 more years and we lost him to LS, not cancer. 10 months after Morgan, Alex was diagnosed with osteo in his rear leg knee. He was ~8 years old (no tats). We amputated and he started chemo. After the 3rd chemo, we found lung mets and lost him shortly after that. This past summer, Demon was diagnosed with osteo in his front shoulder. He was 6 years old. We amputated and he had 4 rounds of carboplatin. So far he's doing great.

The statistics for median life expectancy are:

- with no amputation or chemo, 2 months

- with amputation alone, 5 months

- with amputation and chemo, 12-14 months

With Demon's shoulder osteo, the pain seemed to escalate rapidly. What pain meds and dose is he on? Osteo is very painful. Usually a combination of meds works better than a single agent.

Guest Smiley

Our vet did do a chest x-ray as well and all was clear. As for meds, he's on a combo. of Deramaxx and Hydromorphone. I'm not feeling like it's working for pain management. As soon as I hear from Dr. Couto, we can maybe explore some other meds. I hate this, hate it, hate it, hate it.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm not familiar with Hydromorphone but assume it's an opiate pain killer. With Tramadol, they usually start with a small dose and there is a lot of room for increasing it. I would ask if you can increase it. If not, you may want to ask about adding Gabapentin (generic Neurotin) to the mix.

Beth I am so very sorry. God I wish no one ever had to start this thread ever again. So many of know exactly how you are feeling and we will be here with you every step of the way.

Jack was on the NSAID, in his case meloxicam and Tramadol. Tramadol is a good drug and the dosage can be adjusted quite readily as the dog needs it. It is really important to get ahead of the pain and stay there if you can.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest eaglflyt

Our vet did do a chest x-ray as well and all was clear. As for meds, he's on a combo. of Deramaxx and Hydromorphone. I'm not feeling like it's working for pain management. As soon as I hear from Dr. Couto, we can maybe explore some other meds. I hate this, hate it, hate it, hate it.

Our friend's grey did best on a combination of Tramadol and gabapentin. Her boy did not tolerate Morphine at all ... made him cry, pant, pace and he could not sleep at all. When the Morphine was discontinued, he was back to his happy self on Tramadol and then gabapenting was added. He also had amitriptyline added the last few weeks.

It's really individual how each dog reacts to each medication or combination of meds. It may take some team work with your vet to find what works best for your Smiley.

I'm so glad his chest x-ray was clear. You may have more options, if you choose. Dr. Couto will certainly be able to help with experience and advice.

I have no advice just wanted to pop in and offer a hug and some cyber support :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Oh, Beth, to say I'm sorry doesn't seem like enough. We all understand your sadness, pain, and all those overwhelming emotions that you have when faced with this horrible disease. It's stolen too many of our precious hounds, and humans too. But if there is anything positive to be gained, it's knowing that we all feel that common bond, and can help each other with knowledge and support. It seems like so little, but it's the most important thing we can do. Please know that you and Smiley are in so many prayers. Let us know how your precious heartboy is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Smiley

Just checking in this morning. I did get an email from Dr. Couto and have since left a phone message to make an appt. to see him. For now I'm very concerned about pain control and would like to get their feedback on a med switch. Smiley's currently on Deramaxx and Hydromorphone which don't seem to be helping (at least while he's up and trying to walk) and they seem to be making him a little loopy and unsteady on his good limbs. He seems to get glazed over for an hour or two until he finally gets to sleep. I've been up and down with him the last two nights and I'm exhausted too. I finally set up camp on the floor with him which may help me more than him really.

I think Pete and I are really feeling like we don't want to put him through an amputation. He's been through so much this year and to do a major surgery, take away a front limb when his back limbs are weak doesn't feel right. We'll keep an open mind until we see Dr. Couto, but at this point, I don't see how he can make the trip if we don't get his pain under control.

I am at war with myself as to what the right thing is. I want more time-more than anything. But at what cost? I cannot prolong my heart boy's suffering for my own needs. I am just dying inside. Will this ever get easier?

If his back legs are weak, then he most likely would not do well at all with an amputation of a front limb. :( Sometimes different meds have to be tried to see what works best. As I mentioned before, tramadol + an NSAID worked well for my puppers until the very end. My heart is with you... this is a very hard path to be on. :cry1:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Dogs can react to meds differently so it may be worth trying another combo for your pup.

But.

At the risk of sounding mean, I will tell you what my vet told me when I asked him (well in advance of any issues) about possible pain control meds for my Batman. "When you start talking about those types of medications and dosage amounts, you really need to think about what you are doing and what is in the dog's best interest."

Not easy, I know.

Sending many hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.