It's Cancer

Guest Smiley

grouphug.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth, I am so sorry. Holding you close in my heart, I wish I could hug you for real. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Sorry to hear the news, having gone through that with Isis almost a year ago, I know all the emotions that are running through your heart. I will light a candle for Smiley and you.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Lots of prayers for you and your sweet pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Beth, I am sorry. You've been given the advice I would have given and you have Dr Couto's email address. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Smiley

We are home finally, battling icy roads to get a little more face time with our vet. We took a look at the x-rays and can see the area that is affected in his shoulder. The vet feels it's osteo, likely early stages. We'll email all of the xrays and info. to Dr. Couto in the morning for a second opinion and to keep exploring our options. For now he is on pain meds. He seems WORSE after coming home from the vet's and we are hoping it's just the manipulaton of his limbs for the xray is what's causing his increased pain level. Does anyone have any input on this? We can't stand to see him in this kind of discomfort for long. This is so hard. First my dad's diagnosis in October and now this-there is way too much of the C-word in our house lately.

Any feedback on what we can expect if we opt for no amputation and pain management would be great. Thank you so, so much for all your kind words and support. It has helped me get through today.

Just because I love his mug so much, a recent pic of my special Smiley Wooley :blush

21534_1183906522311_1367681953_30438201_4726128_n.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

Beth,

I am so very sorry you have this diagnosis. I so hate cancer, and know what you are goung through.

You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Pat

I'm so sorry. :cry1

The manipulation that has to be done for x-rays can make a dog very sore, so he might feel better in a day or two.

As for pain management, you might get less time, but, if Smiley is fortunate, the meds can keep him comfortable for a while--maybe even several months. It's hard to say, because each dog and situation is different. Depending on his tolerance, you can use an anti-inflammatory like meloxicam, a opioid like Tramadol, or both.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry. The best advice I got when Suzy was diagnosed was to celebrate every moment I had with her and to take as many pictures as I could.

I hope you have many moments to treasure with Smiley.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest bigorangedog

We are home finally, battling icy roads to get a little more face time with our vet. We took a look at the x-rays and can see the area that is affected in his shoulder. The vet feels it's osteo, likely early stages. We'll email all of the xrays and info. to Dr. Couto in the morning for a second opinion and to keep exploring our options. For now he is on pain meds. He seems WORSE after coming home from the vet's and we are hoping it's just the manipulaton of his limbs for the xray is what's causing his increased pain level. Does anyone have any input on this? We can't stand to see him in this kind of discomfort for long. This is so hard. First my dad's diagnosis in October and now this-there is way too much of the C-word in our house lately.

Any feedback on what we can expect if we opt for no amputation and pain management would be great. Thank you so, so much for all your kind words and support. It has helped me get through today.

Just because I love his mug so much, a recent pic of my special Smiley Wooley :blush

21534_1183906522311_1367681953_30438201_4726128_n.jpg

Beth -- I wrote you a note on FB too, but wanted to post here and say how sorry I am that you and Smiley are going through this. Please let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do. I've been through this 4 times in the past 11 months, so unfortunately I have a lot of experience here.

I would definitely expect some extra soreness from the x-rays, and he may just feel worn out from the stress of the vet visit.

With our first boy, Tanner, the cancer was up high in his hipbone and was misdiagnosed as LS for a while. He didn't do well on any of the opiate pain meds, so we were not able to control his pain well for long. The bone ultimately broke when he tripped over a dog bed and fell down while eating ice cream out of my bowl, and we had to let him go. With Annie, it was in her shoulder. She was diagnosed the day after Tanner died. Because she was such a scaredly girl (she shook for an hour if we cut her toenails) we didn't think she could handle the amp. She was diagnosed in mid-Feb and we could only control her pain until mid-April before she just was too miserable. With Crisco, it was in his spine. He lasted maybe 3 weeks from first limp. He died one week after the definitive diagnosis of osteo in the spine. We were hoping for more time but the pain was too much and he stopped eating at all, not even DQ Blizzards.

With Whitey, as you've probably seen on FB, we caught it early. He was healthy, 11 years old, and we did the amp. He is doing GREAT. He runs and plays, even in the snow and ice. We are on our 2nd chemo and so far no side effects at all. I have no idea how much time we'll get with him, but the time we're having now is good. He was diagnosed in early November.

With the pain management alone, the really hard thing is to know when to let them go. (Well, if the bone breaks, then you have no choice.) With Tanner, we really struggled because if he just laid on his bed he was happy. He was still "Tanner." He would air snap at us, watch me all day, enthusiastically eat his favorite stuff. He was still his old self. Except, he couldn't walk without being in a lot of pain. If the bone hadn't broken, I don't know how we would have known. With Annie, it was similar. The drop-off was so gradual....some days she was her spunky self, and other days she just laid there looking sad. We'd make up our minds to take her, and then she'd have a good day and we'd change our minds. Very hard to know. With Crisco, he and I had such an understanding that I knew. He looked at me in the middle of the night, after not eating for 3 days, and just told me he was done. He was just waiting for me to "get it."

Anyway. I hate that you're going through this with your heart boy. I hate that anyone goes through this. But if I can do anything at all to help, please let me know. You can check out my blog to read about Whitey's journey. His amp was in mid-November. I think it was the 20th.

Guest Smiley

It was such a long night last night. I'm a light sleeper to begin with and of course my ears were open all night for Smiley. He did whine a little, mostly when trying to lay down, so I went down about midnight for a few hours just to lay with him. This morning I did email Dr. Couto and will wait to see what he has to say. I'm hoping that we can stick this out a few days to really see what kind of pain he is in. I think the manipulation for the x-rays did do a number on him. If this level of pain persists I don't think we can let him suffer so. He is on pain meds, but I can't get a good feel for if they are working. So for now, I am just holding my boy and soaking him in. Thank goodness for GT. I feel so supported and understood. Thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart.

Guest K9Cookies

Crap. I'm crying at work. :weep

You and Pete know Smiley the best. Whatever you decide, it will be in his best interest and out of the love you have for him. See what Dr. Couto has to say too.

We are thinking about you. Hang in there. :grouphug

Guest moremoney

Beth,

I'm sorry to hear about Smiley. He is a very sweet boy and I know how much you love him.

Please keep us updated. You are in my thoughts.