Wilbur Moved His Leg

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Last night we decided to sleep in our bed; first time in almost four weeks. We made Wilbur a soft bed beside ours. This morning as I was sleeping I heard him whimpering softly beside me. I looked down and saw him move his broken leg TWICE. The carpet in our bedroom is very smooth, and he moved his leg as if he were trying to get traction on the carpet to readjust himself. It wasn't a big movement, but it is the first conscious movement in that leg I have seen in almost four weeks, and I am ecstatic!

He is going back to the vet today for treatment on the place that opened up along his suture line. It's only a third the size of a dime, but we have tried everything for a week to get it to close up, and it just won't respond. I talked to Dr. Sigman last night, and he wants to see it and treat it.

Thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts for Wilbur. I think we're going to get through this.

Guest fastdogs

Last night we decided to sleep in our bed; first time in almost four weeks. We made Wilbur a soft bed beside ours. This morning as I was sleeping I heard him whimpering softly beside me. I looked down and saw him move his broken leg TWICE. The carpet in our bedroom is very smooth, and he moved his leg as if he were trying to get traction on the carpet to readjust himself. It wasn't a big movement, but it is the first conscious movement in that leg I have seen in almost four weeks, and I am ecstatic!

He is going back to the vet today for treatment on the place that opened up along his suture line. It's only a third the size of a dime, but we have tried everything for a week to get it to close up, and it just won't respond. I talked to Dr. Sigman last night, and he wants to see it and treat it.

Thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts for Wilbur. I think we're going to get through this.

Try a paste made from Milk of Magnesia. You can thicken it a little with corn starch. Cover it up after you apply it, otherwise it may fall off or get licked.

good luck.

Go Wilbur! :yay

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I dont know the back story, but it sounds like he is comming along well. I foster mainly broken leg dogs. They are fostered at a home medical unit, then after the cast comes off, I get them. I have yet to see one that broke its leg and doesnt have use of it after the surgery. Many of our broken leg dogs require pins and rods. I have a broken leg boy that didnt require any hardware, they just splinted for a few months to allow natural healing, I have to keep him from running around the yard, he just wants to play with my others. Keep your chin up, I am sure he will be fine.

Chad

Guest Adrianne

We are back from the vet. Dr. Sigman is disappointed that Wilbur isn't further along in using his leg, but he does see improvement since the last visit. He isn't knuckling as much, and he does seem to have more control over his leg. It doesn't just flop around anymore. Dr. Sigman pinched one of Wilbur's toes, and we got the GSOD, which is a great sign. It's just going to be a slow process.

As for the wound on his incision line, Dr. Sigman says it needs to be open and draining. Apparently, when Wilbur's leg broke, one end of the bone was very sharp and cut into the muscle of his leg, creating a type of "pocket". That pocket is filling with fluid as it heals and has to drain somehow; if it doesn't drain, the leg will swell again. So, we just bandage to keep the mess down and wait, possibly even as long as until the rod comes out. We have some Hetacin to squirt into the wound twice a day.

All in all, not a bad visit with the vet at all. colgate.gif

ETA: Our visit today cost $4.11. I love my vet.

Edited by Adrianne

Sounds like progress is being made! Fingers crossed all continues to go well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dr. Sigman pinched one of Wilbur's toes, and we got the GSOD
Bet you never thought you'd be relieved to hear the Scream of Death.

$4.11? (thud)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter