Major Diarrhea And Throw Up

Guest BooandCalisMom

Guest BooandCalisMom

Hi All - We came home from work to 7 diarrhea spots (including one in my son's good diaper bag - ICK) and some throw up from Boo Radley, our boy who never has accidents. So we know he's feeling really awful.

In the 3 hours we've been home we've also had to take him outside 3 times for more diarrhea and he's thrown up once more. The most recent time for the diarrhea he was really gassy with just a bit of liquid so I think he's almost empty (at least I hope so).

Our dogs were at my parents house this weekend while we were at a wedding and I think he may have possibly eaten some cat food (and maybe a cat turd or two out of the litter box - double ICK). So I am not overly concerned that he's been poisoned or anything. His energy level is okay and the last time I took him out to poop he was waggy as I was putting his collar and leash on.

I plan to fast him for the next 24 hours (water only) and give him some immodium tonight and maybe flagyl if I have some around. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do to help him feel better or at least keep him comfortable while his digestive tract settles down? Is there anything else I should be concerned about (dehydration?)?

Try and get him to drink if you can. They can become dehydrated very quickly. If he can't keep down water I'd get him seen by a vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MyBoys

I would make sure he is drinking, my boy had a bad case of the big D for only a day and a half and was drinking water but when I took him to the vet he was already dehydrated and had to get an IV to get fluids in him.

Don't give him immodium and flagyl both. I would give the flagyl if you know he can have it.

Make sure he can keep water down. If he can't, off to the vet now, not later.

Dehydration: Pinch up a fold of skin on his neck, let it go. Should snap right back. If it tents up, he's dehydrated and will need to go to vet for fluids if he won't drink. Can also check his gums (should be nicely pink and slippery, not tacky and not whitish pale).

If he isn't inclined to drink but needs to, you can put a little broth or honey in some water for him; start with @ 1/2 cup every 15 minutes till you see if he keeps it down, then up to 1 cup every @ half hour until you've got a couple cups in him. OK if you overhydrate -- he'll just pee it out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I'm not a fan of Imodium. If he ate cat crap he needs to be able to get it our of his system as quickly as possible. Given the choice I'd go for Pepcid or Pepto.

I use low sodium broth to encourage drinking.

Guest BooandCalisMom

Thanks all for the feedback. I checked his skin and gums...both seem ok. I will try some honey in the water to encourage him to drink, and will run him down to the vet if need be.

ETA: I just found my flagyl so we'll give that a whirl (will skip the Imodium!)

Edited by BooandCalisMom

We went through this last week with Chase and then Morgan. Fortunately they're both better now. I did chicken and rice for many days, got a prescription for Flagyl and mixed strawberry Pedialyte with their water.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

You might try the boiled ground beef/rice diet when he starts eating again. Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest D_MansMommy

Ditto to what everyone else said. The kitty poo can be very dangerous if the kitty litter is clumping. Keep a close eye on your pup.

Guest BooandCalisMom

Doing better...he hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and we haven't had any big D or throw ups since last night. We thought he'd have us up last night needing to go out but he slept pretty much all night and just had some pee this morning. He's had a good amount of water since last night.

I am going to come home at lunch to take him out and will give him some boiled chicken or hamburger and rice for dinner and see how that sits. Poor guy!!

Thanks, everyone, for the input and good thoughts for my main man!!