Separation Anxiety

Guest surfersmurf

Guest surfersmurf

My fiance and I are new to greyhounds and adopted our first recently....she came home with us last wednesday....so far all is well....i guess i am just beginning to read some of these posts about seperation anxiety and getting a little nervous...I did not realize that it could end up being so serious and destructive....so far she has not shown any signs...she sleeps in her crate at night without whining or crying and we have left a few times for a few hours at a time and everything has been fine but i do realize that it is very early in this process and that seperation anxiety can develop...Is SA really that prominent with greyhounds...she is our only pet and i guess it just has me a little concerned...it seems like more greyhounds have SA than dont....anyone have any input? Thanks

Guest FrostyBottoms

I wouldn't think it would start now. My first one didn't have SA, my second does or did. I always put them in the crate when i leave, he used to cry and scream, but he doesn't anymore.

If she doesn't cry when she sleeps in her crate, you may be home free!

Welcome to GT!

Guest AmberGusDad

I suspect that if the SA doesn't manifest by now, it won't.

My Gus showed SA as soon as I got him. Since driving from NE PA to Houston several years ago to get him, we have been inseparable :(

Ah - you have fallen victim to the "new owner on greytalk reading training threads and FREAKING OUT!" Been there. Done that. Kept staring at Enza waiting for her to eat me in my sleep.

I liken it to having a cold and going on to WebMD and being convinced you have ebola virus.

So take a deep breath - and you will be fine.

Guest D_MansMommy

Donovan had/has major SA. Has since day one. TC not at all. Several breeds tend to be more prone to it. That said. I think it seems like all greys have it because people post about their problems to get help. Not everyone who adopts a grey that doesn't have SA posts that their grey doesn't have SA.

Guest twhitehouse

First of all welcome to GT. Secondly...take a deep breath and don't panic. The reason you think so many greyhounds have SA is because no one posts about GOOD behaviors in the training section. It's all bad things usually because people need help. Not all greyhounds have SA and probably most don't.

My first dog Lexi has severe SA and she displayed this from day one. I would say if she can sleep in her crate and also be fine in there when you leave without even making a noise...you are fine and I wouldn't worry so much. Just keep leaving at different times of the day and for different incrememnts of time. This is called alone trainuing and it can never hurt, even a dog with no SA symptonms. :)

Edited by twhitehouse

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Remember, the reason people come here to post is to find out solutions to their problems. You dont see everyone posting here that their greyhound is a perfect angel, so the majority of posts are going to seem like the breed is prone to certain types of behavior, but they may or may not be. I have 2 of my own, and foster 2 at a time. I have had ONE come through my house that had SA to the point of being destructive. I had ONE that had elimination issues when crated. The hound that had elimination issues is my boy Bart, I started leaving him out of his crate after a week of cleaning him and the crate, he never had another issue, never chewed anything and has been perfect. As others have said, relax and enjoy the ride with the best breed ever! It is wonderful that you are comming here looking and reading about the breed, it shows you are a connected owner. Thank you for that.

Chad

Guest LineDancerDana

I agree that if she has not shown the signs yet, you probably won't have much problem with it.

It is very important however to make sure that your newest addition goes out to do her business, and even give her something to occupy her if she seems anxious...a Kong,or Bully Stick, etc BEFORE you crate her or leave the house.

Amelia only truly ever had separation anxiety signs when we did not give her ample potty time. But, I wouldn't worry about it. If you see signs, you should pop back in and get some ideas, until them, just relax. And enjoy your grey girl!!